How much can we expect to spend...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How much can we expect to spend...

My family (me, wife, 5-yr. old son) have booked a 15 night package to Hawaii in November...3 nights, Oahu...12 nights, Maui. It includes all hotels, flights, transfers, and car on Maui. Now that we have all that paid for, what can we expect to spend on food, entertainment, and incidentals when we get there. I realize this is a question based on an individual's personal preferences and lifestyle, but I would rate us as average tourists with moderate needs (even frugal needs if it calls for it). I read somewhere that the average visitor to Hawaii spends about $160/day. I believe that might include accommodations. Does that sound about right? We are just trying to figure how much we should save to enjoy ourselves when we get there.

Thanks
    Rez

Re: How much can we expect to spend...

Originally posted by reznor99
    My family (me, wife, 5-yr. old son) have booked a 15 night package to Hawaii in November...3 nights, Oahu...12 nights, Maui. It includes all hotels, flights, transfers, and car on Maui. Now that we have all that paid for, what can we expect to spend on food, entertainment, and incidentals when we get there. I realize this is a question based on an individual's personal preferences and lifestyle, but I would rate us as average tourists with moderate needs (even frugal needs if it calls for it). I read somewhere that the average visitor to Hawaii spends about $160/day. I believe that might include accommodations. Does that sound about right? We are just trying to figure how much we should save to enjoy ourselves when we get there.

Thanks
    Rez
    Assuming the place you're staying at on Maui is a condo, the cheapest way to go is to have breakfast in the condo, have lunch "on the road", and then pick a nice place or two for dinner during your 12 days on Maui.

Lots of people stock up on the basics at Costco, which is right next to the airport (that's usually their first stop) and then drive to their condo. Are you staying in S. Maui or in Lahaina/Kaanapali? If you're staying in S. Maui, there are a lot of strip malls with fast food kinds of places that would be good for lunch. Prices are usually pretty reasonable. In Lahaina, the town itself has some touristy places to eat, but the locals usually go out to Cannery Mall (right outside of town, on the way to Kaanapali) where there's a nice food court (and it's air conditioned).

$100-150/day/adult is not an unreasonable amount to spend on eating lunch and some dinners out and souvenirs, and many of the tourist type attactions are free or next to free(Maui Tropical Plantation, A&B Sugar Plantation Museum, Haleakala National Park). Some venues are very pricey, like the Maui Aquarium (when I was there last year it cost over $20/adult), but since you're got a 5-year old, that would be a great place to take him. When you get to Kahului Airport, go to the rack of visitor guides near the baggage claim area and pick up all the books. Very often you'll find discount coupons for a lot of activities, which will save you money too. Eating out in a nice restaurant is comparable to eating out in a nice restaurant in any large city (figure around $30-35/adult entree), but there are a lot of local hangouts that wouldn't set you back more than about $10-15/person max, depending on what you eat.And you can always ask the staff at the condos/hotel you're staying at for suggestions.

Go to the beach in the morning (before noon), especially if you're staying in S. Maui (Kihei/Wailea). The wind really picks up in the afternoon and the last thing you want to do is feel like you're being sandblasted (which you would be). Save your afternoons for going sightseeing or relaxing around a pool with a mai tai. I'd also save that trip to Hana for when your son is a little older; 2 1/2-3 hours in a car on a very winding road might not be his idea of a good time. Gas will also be pricey on Maui. I think last time I checked it was close to $3.00/gallon. I guess it's fortunate that Maui is an island...can't go more than a couple of hundred miles before you end up where you started.

Miulang

P.S. If you're using the Maui Revealed book as your guide to places on Maui, please don't keep the book in plain sight as you tour the islands. Many of the places "revealed" in the book are longtime "secret" local hangouts, and some may entail trespassing on private property. Always respect the no trespassing signs you may see posted along the roads. Oh, and savor all the trash you see on the sides of the roads of Maui, too. Maui is famous for its abandoned cars and trash.
    Last edited by Miulang; July 20, 2005, 01:10 PM.
    "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

I read somewhere that the average visitor to Hawaii spends about $160/day. I believe that might include accommodations. Does that sound about right?
      I think that figure is only discretionary spending. $160/day would be eaten up almost entirely by hotel accommodations in most cases. Add in the fact that the figure would include big-spending tourists who blow $800/night on a hotel suite, shop at Gucci and eat at Michel's, and there's no way $160 is an average for all spending.

That said, if you'll have your own kitchen and access to a Costco (and have no aversion to cooking, of course), you'd save quite a bit.

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon
        I think that figure is only discretionary spending. $160/day would be eaten up almost entirely by hotel accommodations in most cases. Add in the fact that the figure would include big-spending tourists who blow $800/night on a hotel suite, shop at Gucci and eat at Michel's, and there's no way $160 is an average for all spending.

That said, if you'll have your own kitchen and access to a Costco (and have no aversion to cooking, of course), you'd save quite a bit.
        Well, before all the "budget" hotels in Waikiki started being converted to condos and timeshares, you COULD find decent rooms close to the beach for around $80/day. No more.

Miulang
        "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

If you want to start getting a flavor for what's happening on Maui, you can always go to the online version of The Maui News . You can find out about activities and restaurants from some of the columns.

Miulang

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang
            Oh, and savor all the trash you see on the sides of the roads of Maui, too.
            Better yet, use some of the plastic bags you get at the strip malls to stop and pick up some of the rubbish you see.

Comment

For myself living on Oahu, spending around $15-20/day for food is typical and that's for the fast food places for lunch and dinner.

Comment

Yeah, we are stayin in a condo-type with a kitchen. So we plan on buying food and eating in a lot.

And I think the $160/day figure was from a census bureau, and they probably based it on 2 or more people splitting the cost of accommodations, leaving some change leftover for discretionary spending.

Bottom line...we would like to swing it on $4000 for the entire 15 day trip for the 3 of us. And we want to be comfortable and have fun. This could be our only trip to Hawaii...for awhile.

Thanks you guys.
                Mike

Comment

Oh and yes we are staying in Lahaina/Kaanapali...Aston Kaanapali Shores condo to be exact.

Rez

Comment

Oh and yes we are staying in Lahaina/Kaanapali...Aston Kaanapali Shores condo to be exact.

Rez
                    Well, you'll have Whaler's Village nearby, which is a nice shopping mall that also has some restaurants. Other than that, you are going to need a car to go anywhere. Make sure you check out the Cannery, too, though, because the shopping's a whole lot cheaper there (and there is a supermarket) than on Front St. in Lahaina and at Whaler's Village. Heading towards Kapalua, there are now also some strip malls that have fast foods kinds of places.

Miulang

Comment

Sound goods. We have a car so we will definitely explore everyone's suggestions. Do you recommend any guide books, etc. to pick up?

Thanks
                      Rez

Comment

Sound goods. We have a car so we will definitely explore everyone's suggestions. Do you recommend any guide books, etc. to pick up?

Thanks
                        Rez
                        Do most of your searching online ahead of time. One good website is www.gohawaii.com. If you HAVE to buy a book, Maui Revealed is a good one, with the caveat I posted earlier: the locals don't like it when you go to some of the "secret" local sites listed, so be respectful and anytime you see a "No Trespassing--Kapu" sign, obey it and you should be OK. Oahu has a similar book, but since you're only going to be there for 3 days, I'm sure most of your time will be spent waiting in line at Pearl Harbor and walking along Waikiki.

Miulang

Comment

Okay Rez, let me give you some help with your Maui trip. Since your staying on the Westside, as posted..... get a rental car. Kaanapali Beach Resort has alot of expensive restaurants, avoid these places unless you want to treat the family to a nice dining experience. Foodland Supermarket, loacated in the Lahaina Shopping Center, or Safeway loacated at the Lahaina Cannery Mall is the places to stock up on groceries, Longs Drugs is also at this location if you need additional items for your stay.

You need to plan your sightseeing day`s accordingly....
                          Sunrise or Sunset ON MT. HALEAKALA.......THE TOUR TO HANA, That`s up to you, who knows when you`ll have the next opportunity...Sightseeing the Island is one thing you will enjoy about Maui. Don`t forget to pick up brochures at the airport to help you along your way......

HAVE FUN AND NO FO GET
                          TO GO HOME....ONLY KIDDIN
                          OGGBOY
                          bin dea-dunn dat.

Comment

Forgot to mention as posted by Sista Miulang. Make sure that book Maui Revealed is kept out of sight. Alot of local people are really P.O. about things what the author has mentioned in this book. Especially in the remote parts of Hana and Kahakuloa. This is where the RESPECT OUR AINA phrase comes in.
                            RESPECT OUR LAND. ALOHA LOVE IT OUR LEAVE............
                            OGGBOY
                            bin dea-dunn dat.

Comment

Originally posted by oggboy
                              Okay Rez, let me give you some help with your Maui trip. Since your staying on the Westside, as posted..... get a rental car. Kaanapali Beach Resort has alot of expensive restaurants, avoid these places unless you want to treat the family to a nice dining experience. Foodland Supermarket, loacated in the Lahaina Shopping Center, or Safeway loacated at the Lahaina Cannery Mall is the places to stock up on groceries, Longs Drugs is also at this location if you need additional items for your stay.
                              The best part about the Lahaina Shopping Center is that there's a Starbucks next to the Foodland, and that's also where the theatre is to see Ulalena. Across the street in the other mall is the Hilo Hattie. In the back (next to the parking lots) there's a really neat little park that has some tiki and a couple of grass hales and some descriptive signs that tell about the way the ancient Hawaiians lived. You never would guess that it existed, because it's right in the parking lot. There's a Chinese takeout place (forget the name, something like AJs), and a Hard Rock Cafe (I only go for the logo goodies; the food is barely adequate). Best place for cheap souvenirs is the ABC Store (plenty of them all over the place) or Longs Drug.

Eh Oggboy, you go to the Cannery Mall? When we play tourist, we go on Thursdays or Fridays (forget which day) when they have the free hula shows. We like going to the Cannery Mall because it's airconditioned and you know Lahaina gets HHHHHOT. The Vietnamese place in the food court has yummy banh mi (sandwiches) and pho.

Stay hot on Maui, yeah?

Miulang

Comment

Working...
                              X