Mental Illness

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mental Illness

State was found guilty in how they treat the "Mentally Ill." They will review the findings...

How do you feel about those inflicted with Mental Illness.

Auntie Lynn
    Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
    Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Re: Mental Illness

According to this story in today's Advertiser, at least 16 mentally ill people under care by the Dept. of Health this year died under suspicious circumstances or committed suicide this year. Now the US Magistrate Kevin Chang has issued a 50-page report "...that is the latest review of state's and the Department of Health's effort to comply with a federal mandate to implement a plan to provide treatment and care for Hawai'i's estimated 9,000 mentally ill residents by June 30, 2006.

His criticism underscored his concern that the consequences of the state's failure to make progress on developing the plan could be a life-and-death situation for some of the mentally ill..."

"...The failure by the Department of Health to place a high priority on addressing conditions that led to the suicides and deaths of 16 mentally ill Hawai'i residents earlier this year reflects a "serious lack of judgment and questionable leadership..."

Looks like the Dept. of Health needs a good housecleaning if children and mentally ill Hawai'i citizens are to be protected.

Miulang
    Last edited by Miulang; July 21, 2005, 01:01 PM.
    "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang
      Looks like the Dept. of Health needs a good housecleaning if children and mentally ill Hawai'i citizens are to be protected.
      Thanks Muilang!

Lynn

Comment

In todays StarBulletin http://starbulletin.com/2006/07/08/news/story01.html

"Adam Mau-Goffredo has been described as having schizophrenia"
        By Rod Antone
        rantone@starbulletin.com

"A man suspected of killing three people and then allegedly kidnapping and robbing three others Thursday night is a diagnosed paranoid schizophrenic who is supposed to be under the care of court-appointed guardians, according to court documents."

Mental Illness is real. It is all around us. I am one who is afflicted.

Unfortunately, our Laws needs to be changed. One who is inflicted can not be hopitalized if they don't want to be, don't show that they want to harm themselves or harm others.

No one really knows what goes on in the mind of anyone. Much more of a person who has mental illness. The article itself shows a pattern in which the suspect was bound to become a problem yet nothing was done.

As I walk around my neighborhood and Chinatown...there are countless of others who fit Adam Mau-Goffredo's profile (male and female) to a T. All walking time bombs.

More awareness, educating the Public and having Laws changed is needed.

Medication can help control certain types of Mental Illness. Not all.

Auntie Lynn
        Last edited by 1stwahine; July 8, 2006, 12:37 PM.

Comment

Kalona808(Sharon Black) was on KITV4 News @ 5:00 p.m. giving some advices on what to look for in those who are afflicted with mental illness who could be a danger to others. One must remember that anyone can "snap" at any given moment.

If you see a person who is agitated, talking to him/herself, posing a potential danger to herself/himself or others call 911 asap! Do not confront the person.

We live in a dangerous Society and need to change our Laws. It is the only way we will be safe and to keep those we love from harm too.

Auntie Lynn

Comment

Originally posted by 1stwahine

Medication can help control certain types of Mental Illness. Not all.

What do you suggest for those from whom medication has no benefit?

pax

Comment

Originally posted by Pua'i Mana'o
              What do you suggest for those from whom medication has no benefit?
              Hospitilaization and/or Confinement! Where they can be constantly monitored, safe from themselves and for the safety of others.

Auntie Lynn

Comment

I agree. But how do we find them and how do we confine them? What is the process, if some of these people are ticking bombs, but haven't done the crime (or any, for that matter) yet?

And here comes the harder questions: how do we afford to do this? The obvious answer is that we cannot NOT afford to do so, but logistics being what they are, where do we start?

pax

Comment

Originally posted by Pua'i Mana'o
                  I agree. But how do we find them and how do we confine them? What is the process, if some of these people are ticking bombs, but haven't done the crime (or any, for that matter) yet?

And here comes the harder questions: how do we afford to do this? The obvious answer is that we cannot NOT afford to do so, but logistics being what they are, where do we start?
                  Pua'i Mana'o, Unfortunately, I have no answers. Laws need to be changed. As it stands - those who are ill have every right to do as they please. They know the game to well.

They can be judged ordered to go to the Hospital and be evaluated by a Psychiatrist only to be discharged in a few hours...back to where they came. Most times when they do get into altercations, picked up for drug use, etc. they are sent to Prison. Even while incarcerated they don't get the adequate treatment they need. Sad but true.

We will see more cases in the future. The way things are escalating ~ homelessness, drugs, domestic abuse, etc., Mental Illness is a major part of it all.

Laws have to be changed. We can not say we can't afford it. We must. We have no choice.

Auntie Lynn

Comment

can one get mental illness from reading HT?
                    j/k

Carry on

Comment

Originally posted by manoasurfer123
                      can one get mental illness from reading HT?
                      j/k

Carry on
                      Manoa, Mental Ilness is nothing to joke about. However, since you asked...I recommend you seek treatment soon. No, you can't get Mental Illness from reading HT. You do show some signs of having problems significant of having the disease in question.

Auntie Lynn

Comment

Originally posted by 1stwahine
                        Manoa, Mental Ilness is nothing to joke about. However, since you asked...I recommend you seek treatment soon. No, you can't get Mental Illness from reading HT. You do show some signs of having problems significant of having the disease in question.

Auntie Lynn
                        I will be the first to admit it!

I should change my nickname to mentalsurfer321!

Carry on...

I was just trying to lighten up the thread.... my bad.

Comment

In today's StarBulletin http://starbulletin.com/2006/07/11/news/story02.html
                          Insanity not a guarantee of acquittal
                          By Nelson Daranciang

"It is not necessary to have a prior diagnosis of mental illness to win an insanity defense, "but it helps," said Walter Rodby, former deputy state public defender."

"Having a previous diagnosis lends credibility to an insanity claim," adds Susan Arnett, deputy public defender."

"According to Chapter 704-400 of the Hawaii Revised Statutes, a person is not responsible for his conduct if he lacks substantial capacity to either appreciate the wrongfulness of his actions or to act within the law because of mental disease, disorder or defect."

"People who are mentally ill can still distinguish right from wrong, Pacarro said, especially if they are receiving effective treatment and medication."

Bingo! People who are mentally ill can distinguish right from wrong? Wrong!!! Not all!!! Once again, there are various mentall illnesses. Some that can be treated with medications effectively and many that can't.

Hello??? For people who should be in the know and educated- they should get their facts straight before making statements that aren't true.

Auwe!

Auntie pUpule

Comment

Lynn, the guy who made that statement is a prosecutor. Mental illness isn't his field of training.

One of my childhood friends has been dealing with depression on and off for three decades. Her Dr suggested to her that if she had been dealing with this since her teen years (she has), and particularly if she doesn't respond well to antidepressants (she doesn't) then her diagnosis is something like bipolarII. When she endures depression, it doesn't manifest itself typically because she has dealt with it so long and has learned some tools along the way. The big one is "don't trust your thoughts and feelings," because they are distorted when she is depressed. She will feel differently when her biochemistry is fixed, so she has tried every med on the market. She also has a laundry list of healthy routine behaviors to get her back on track, like eat well, exercise, try to sleep properly, refrain from booze intake and bathe daily.

Now this is a woman who hasn't fallen through the cracks. She is gainfully employed and for the most part able to contribute to healthy relationships. I can only imagine when these protective factors don't come into play and additional issues abound, like lack of competent support, chemical abuse, and poverty.

pax

Comment

I think KITV is doing the accused murderer a great disservice by linking the alleged crimes of his Uncle (attempting to suffocate his 3 kids via carbon monoxide poisoning almost 30 years ago) to this sick kid. This will certainly stir up the "nature v. nurture, heredity v. environment" controversy all over again. Or maybe this will work in favor of the kid...shows that some families have generations of individuals who are mentally ill.

Miulang
                              "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Working...
                              X