Mexican-American

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mexican-American

Hello all! I’m planning to move to Honolulu some time next year, and wanted some advice on a few matters. I’m a Mexican-American and was born and raised in California after my parents moved here from Mexico. I’ve read almost all the posts in this forum and now have second thoughts on moving. I’ve visited Hawaii a couple times, and have always loved it. I already have a job lined up and maybe will have a place to stay temporarily before I can find a permanent residence. I’ve read the resent posts on Aaron and his family moving to Hawaii soon, and I got the impression that many people are against people moving to Hawaii from the mainland. Is this truly felt by the majority of “locals?” I am aware of the sovereignty issue and also the issue of over-population present in Hawaii. Are these the main reasons for this attitude? It’s hard to see that this would cause this type of “retribution” towards outsiders. In all my 32 years, I’ve never come across this when I or someone I now plan to move to a new area. I thought Hawaii was proud of its great diversity, but I’m unsure if I’d feel welcome. I’m sure most people including myself wouldn’t want to live someplace where they’d feel unwanted. Thanks so much for your time and for any comments.

Arturo

Re: Mexican-American

>" Is this truly felt by the majority of “locals?”"

no one really wants to know what the locals really think.

>"and also the issue of over-population present in Hawaii."

IF you are aware of this problem, why would you want to add to it and plan to move here?

>"I thought Hawaii was proud of its great diversity, "

well, the HVCB sure would be happy to see it is doing its job.
    Hawaii ain't so proud of it that it wants more of it.

Comment

Originally posted by arturo_h
      Hello all! I’m planning to move to Honolulu some time next year, and wanted some advice on a few matters. I’m a Mexican-American and was born and raised in California after my parents moved here from Mexico.
      Welcome to HT from a Cherokee-Swedish-Scottish American. I'll let others answer most of your questions. As far as "overpopulation," well, ain't that the planet? Everyone has to live someplace.

(see, guys, I'm trying to be nicer!)

Comment

I'm going any ways. Hawaii WILL be my new HOME beginning 2006. See yall soon!!

Comment

Originally posted by aaron
          I'm going any ways. Hawaii WILL be my new HOME beginning 2006. See yall soon!!

okee doakee pardner. I'm a fixin ta see y'all soon too.
          welcome to vandal village and the ice capades!

Comment

I'm curious: am I the only one who is wondering about this sudden and large influx of threads by so many wanna-be residents? Used to be maybe one every couple of months, but now a whole handful in mere days.
            Odd.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Originally posted by LikaNui
              I'm curious: am I the only one who is wondering about this sudden and large influx of threads by so many wanna-be residents? Used to be maybe one every couple of months, but now a whole handful in mere days.
              Odd.

might be due to the rising popularity of HT...
              We otta have a FAQ for fast answers on this subject somehwere...

Comment

I’ve read the resent posts on Aaron and his family moving to Hawaii soon, and I got the impression that many people are against people moving to Hawaii from the mainland. Is this truly felt by the majority of “locals?”
                Honestly, most local people are working too hard to think much about it on a regular basis. But if you sit quietly at a local party and have a few beers, you'll hear people worrying about the cost of living, and the low wages, and whether their kids will be able to ever afford a house in the islands. They shake their heads and wonder, where are you going to fit all these people? We're up to a million already, and they just keep coming.

I am aware of the sovereignty issue and also the issue of over-population present in Hawaii. Are these the main reasons for this attitude? It’s hard to see that this would cause this type of “retribution” towards outsiders. In all my 32 years, I’ve never come across this when I or someone I now plan to move to a new area.
                Part of it is the political and cultural aspects of sovereignty and Americanization, but a huge part is the plain practical economics of making ends meet and paying the bills. For a lot of reasons, Hawai'i is expensive as hell for regular folks and it's hard to see how adding more people will make things better.

I thought Hawaii was proud of its great diversity, but I’m unsure if I’d feel welcome. I’m sure most people including myself wouldn’t want to live someplace where they’d feel unwanted.
                It's not that most people are personally hostile to newcomers; we're generally not. But taken as a group, it's worrisome when you realize that they just keep coming.

Comment

Firstly, there will be some people here who will be hostile and sarcastic to everyone. There are then the folks who will be hostile and sarcastic to anyone planning on coming to Hawaii for any reason, be it to visit or stay. (Some people fit both profiles.)

Then, there are people who are willing to help people thinking of relocating to Hawaii, but will strongly, emphatically, passionately advocate making such a decision only after several visits, only after having employment and housing lined up, and only after a great deal of research, learning, and interacting with people online (such as in lovely fora like HawaiiThreads.com).

Most of us have lived here long enough to have seen dozens upon dozens of people arrive with no plan, no money, and either end up going into debt to buy a plane ticket back home, or landing on the street and ending up a burden on our already overburdened system. Understand that every place takes preparation and planning to move to, but flying to Hawaii is very different from jumping the next Greyhound out of state. Once you jump that ocean, you might be stuck.

If you've prepared yourself (i.e. learned Hawaii's history, some of its specific quirks and sensitivities, etc.), and more importantly, if you have a plan - a job lined up, a place to stay, seven or eight grand in the bank just in case - then go for it. You'll find that Hawaii is, in many ways, the wonderful, diverse, open, accepting and welcoming place that you think it is. You'll certainly find your share of unpleasant jerks in the islands, but heck, at least you're in Hawaii.

As far as the reception folks get here on HawaiiThreads.com, consider the circumstances I noted above, and also consider how much easier people find it to be unpleasant jerks on line than in person, and adjust your filters accordingly. This site does have a great "Ignore User" feature, after all.

Comment

I understand the concerns, but like MadAzza said, over-population is present in any urban area. I’ve just never heard it being complained about so much. A person may move from one area to another, but they are still ON the planet. Life MadAzza said, we all must live somewhere. Once you look at the world from a bigger perspective, rather than from a city or a state, it’s easier to see. Just by traveling around the world, I’ve noticed it to be more prevalent. But I think perspective is the key here. It seems like people who have a smaller perspective on things, they tend to believe that they’re alone in the world, and are the only ones to have problems. We are all humans and need to get along wherever we live. I’ve lived in other foreign countries (even across big oceans), and never found this type of problem, that’s why I’m surprised when moving within the United States. You can’t see it as “people keep coming” as Glen said, because people are leaving too. I live in central California where the cost-of-living is probably the highest in the state. I’ve had people I know move to Hawaii from central California and barely notice a difference. Housing’s the same, gas is the same, food is the same, etc. Inflation is something one must get used to living in the United States.

Comment

>"I understand the concerns, but like MadAzza said, over-population is present in any urban area. I’ve just never heard it being complained about so much. "

ya ain't heard nuthin yet. Lissen in, in about 5 years.

...it's posts like this that breed 'sarcastic' and hostile responses;
                      madazza, i venture to say, maybe was being slightly sarcastic. and not in any way, offering excuses to move to a finite, very limited landmass. Which is experiencing shortages of too many things; garbage landfills, water, peace and quiet, room to move at a decent pace on da hiways and byways... etc..
                      (hey; gotta live somehwere")
                      "OK! hey; that is good enuff for me! Here I come"

>"A person may move from one area to another, but they are still ON the planet. "

ok. What!?
                      Last edited by kimo55; July 22, 2005, 11:36 AM.

Comment

Once you look at the world from a bigger perspective, rather than from a city or a state, it’s easier to see. Just by traveling around the world, I’ve noticed it to be more prevalent. But I think perspective is the key here. It seems like people who have a smaller perspective on things, they tend to believe that they’re alone in the world, and are the only ones to have problems. We are all humans and need to get along wherever we live. I’ve lived in other foreign countries (even across big oceans), and never found this type of problem, that’s why I’m surprised when moving within the United States.
                        Have you lived on a small island before? Or is all your experience with living on a large continent? Believe me, a million people on an island of 600 square miles, most of which are too mountainous to live on, is not the same as a million people in the San Joaquin Valley.

Comment

Originally posted by Glen Miyashiro
                          Believe me, a million people on an island of 600 square miles, most of which are too mountainous to live on, is not the same as a million people in the San Joaquin Valley.

and as seen in today's paper, and most anytime in the news, these home developers are continually tearing away hillsides and mountains to pack in even more prefab junk overpiced houses. Why!? hey; gotta supply the demand!

Comment

I understand the concerns, but like MadAzza said, over-population is present in any urban area. I’ve just never heard it being complained about so much. A person may move from one area to another, but they are still ON the planet.
                            You're comparing apples and oranges. Hawaii is a tiny island state that is 2,500 miles from the nearest landmass! As someone else said, you can't just hop a Greyhound bus and leave.
                            Sorry, but one simply can't compare the situation here with anything else in North America or any other continent.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Yes, Hawai'i is a melting pot, but within that pot you got yer beans, you got yer beef, you got yer corn...when it simmers, sometimes the stew isn't very tasty. The pessimistic comments you hear on this site are mostly from people who have to live with the 1 hour commute each way to drive less than 20 miles to work, who suffer under the burden of high taxes and low wages, and a slow erosion of a lifestyle they grew up with. Imagine yourself in this picture: you're on a crowded subway car (or bus). Every single seat and aisle is filled with commuters. You're trying to wedge yourself into the last 6 inches of airspace left on that bus. How are you and the people who are squished like sardines going to feel?

I "escaped" when I was 18 so I could have a better life with more opportunities up here on the mainland, which I have done, but it pains my heart immensely to see what's going on in the islands today, much of it being brought on by an influx of people who are overtaxing a very fragile infrastructure and ecosystem in every possible way.

If you're willing to move other there and become part of the solution and not another one of its problems, then e komo mai. If you just want to move there because in your mind it's "paradise", please make sure you have enough of an emergency slush fund in case you have to buy a one-way ticket out of there.

Miulang
                              Last edited by Miulang; July 22, 2005, 01:47 PM.
                              "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Working...
                              X