moving soon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• moving soon

moving soon to pearl harbor on a goverment contract position should I bring my cj-7 jeep with me? how hard is it to get it through inspection? where should I buy a place? I am looking to spend 500K the company is gonna front the moneyfor the house. I have been to hawaii before I live in alaska and visit hawaii every winter so I am some what familar with the housing sitiuation? but not sure whats safe

Re: moving soon

Aloha Gumby! Welcome to hawaiithreads.com. Sure wish I had your job! Company pays you upfront 500K...you must know top secret stuff lil'dat. No need bring your jeep. Come over here and buy one brandnew Humvee.

Auntie Lynn
    Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
    Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Originally posted by Gumby
      moving soon to pearl harbor on a goverment contract position should I bring my cj-7 jeep with me? how hard is it to get it through inspection? where should I buy a place? I am looking to spend 500K the company is gonna front the moneyfor the house. I have been to hawaii before I live in alaska and visit hawaii every winter so I am some what familar with the housing sitiuation? but not sure whats safe
      Are they paying for all your moving expenses? If so, it might not be a bad idea to have your jeep shipped over. From the West Coast (I dunno about AK), it would cost about $900 to ship a vehicle there. Gas is probably even more expensive than it was in Alaska, too, and the freeways are a whole lot more crowded with cars going nowhere for long periods of time.

Hmmmm...$500K? That probably won't buy you a whole house in any desirable area on any island; it would get you a nice 2-bedroom condo, though. The median price of housing on Oahu (in the desirable parts of town) is well over $600k, so you're probably still going to have to have a mortgage of some kind on top of the loan from your company.

People who live onisland can tell you about where the best places to look would be. If you're a "free agent" (i.e., no wife or kids) it'll be a whole lot easier to find housing than with a family to move. If you have kids, make sure you check out the schools in the neighborhoods you're interested in before plunking down that down payment.

Good luck.

Miulang
      "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

well they are moving me and they will ship my vehicles for me(one). but it seems that my jeep is lifted to tall for the inspection . 22 in is the max and the jeep is 29 in with 35' tires so maybe just a bit overkill for the islands. thats ok its time for something small and newer.
        I can afford a 500k condo without to much pain. It looks like I can put my daughter into the Base school not the hawaian public schools. I understand they are a bit less then ideal. The wife sells real estate and the company she works for will allow her to transfer her license to the hawaii branch. so things are looking better.

I am old enough to know everything is what you make it. If you think it will be bad or you enter into the move with your eyes closed your asking for trouble. I am moving from just south of philly so unless the gun fire and drug deals are going on under my bedroom window Hawaii won't bad. (by comparision)

Should I ship my scuba gear and surf fishing gear? mountain bike?

Comment

well they are moving me and they will ship my vehicles for me(one). but it seems that my jeep...
          Should I ship my scuba gear and surf fishing gear? mountain bike?

ya know that jeep may be quite desirable here..
          i would try to bring it over.

definitely the other stuff too! scuba surf fishing... beaches perfect for that. You would end up buying that stuff again soon.

Comment

brada gumby jus bring as much as your company will pay fo da relocation expenses etc. juice'em no scade!

jeep is good hea and all ur equipment u get, plenty stuff fo do hea jus gotta be creative and adventurous.

good luck!

got job openings?? hehehe
            Reggie aka pinakboy
            Reggie's Kaukau Time! blog
            Raw Eats Veggie Videos
            Recipe Tube TV!
            Deep Fried Recipes TV!

checkem out!!

Comment

On the one hand, Gumby seems like a decent guy.
              On the other hand, he and people like him are driving up the damn housing market.

Comment

buy real estate they quit making it along time ago
                I go where the job goes. I hope to fit in without making waves and enjoy my time on the island. soak the company for as much as theyare offering and as long as I do whats required of me then I have not taken advantage of them just taken advantage of the opertunity

in my adult working life I have moved to iceland, germany ,spain, england,alaska,texas,arizona,florida,illinois,wash ington state,delaware ,south carolina.

I only wish I would of spent my beer money on microsoft in the early eighties. we would not be having this conversation

Comment

buy real estate they quit making it along time ago
                  Except on the Big Island, brah. Madam Pele has added about 500 acres in the past 20 years.

Comment

Originally posted by Glen Miyashiro

Except on the Big Island, brah. Madam Pele has added about 500 acres in the past 20 years.
                    Does this ring a bell?

"Buy now, for sure!"

Comment

Originally posted by lurkah
                      Does this ring a bell?

"Buy now, for sure!"
                      Can I buy one piece of Kalapana lava flow now and have my ohana pay it off in about 200 years, when we will finally be able to build a house on it?

Miulang
                      "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Glen Miyashiro

it's funny how da maps of Hawaii island are to a degree, outdated every few years!

Comment

well they are moving me and they will ship my vehicles for me(one). but it seems that my jeep is lifted to tall for the inspection . 22 in is the max and the jeep is 29 in with 35' tires so maybe just a bit overkill for the islands. thats ok its time for something small and newer.
                          If there's a way for you to put smaller tires on that Jeep so you meet the max specs you probably want to do that anyway. The salt air in Hawai'i makes autobody corrosion a bit of a problem, so if you buy something new and not used over there, you'll lose most of its value anyway through deterioration (sun and salt air) unless you're a car junkie like Craig and keep your car in meticulous condition. A 4-wheel drive comes in real handy when you go to the beach and you have to drive over rutted out, unpaved roads.

Miulang

Comment

well the jeep frame and the underbody were sandblast this last winter and coated with POR-15 a bulletproof rustproof epoxy coating so maybe that will work. smaller tires maybe the front and rear end were regeared 4:56 gears to turn the 35's smaller tires = torque that would make the jeep pull a house straight up a cliff

Comment

how is ewe plain as a place to live?

Comment

Working...
                              X