should i expect discrimination?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• should i expect discrimination?

hi. i have been reading a lot about how hawaii became a state and it is terrible what happened. so i know that many hawaiians would be upset about what happened to their ancestors and consequently creates problems for themselves. however i don't see how it could now go back to being an independent country. would everyone who can't prove they are 100% (50%?) (25%?) hawaiian ancestry be kicked out? about the entire united states, like many other countries, originated by stealing land from some group of people. in any case i think everyone should try to live together peacefully knowing that international conquest has pretty much reached its end.

but my question for this post is: i am a white person. when i go to hawaii should i expect to be treated and feel like a black person in the south felt in the 1940's? i have never been to hawaii but that's what it seems like the situation is based on my internet reading. i hope i am wrong and it is just a few extremists. again i know it is sad what happened to the hawaiian people but i'm not sure that its appropriate to hate people of a certain race based on the mistakes of their ancestors.

Re: should i expect discrimination?

First of all, there will always be extremists on any issue, and the Internet makes it easier than ever to be subjected to their rantings. Do not take them to be representative of all people in Hawaii. Similarly, there are places on the Internet where Hawaii is portrayed as an idyllic paradise with no flaws, no problems, and no unpleasant people. Do not take them as gospel, either.

If you come to Hawaii with a chip on your shoulder, if you come looking for, or somehow expecting, to be discriminated against or disrespected, I can pretty much guarantee you're going to find it.

If you come with an appreciation for why some people may be unpleasant - ranging from opressed ancestors to old age to simply being jerks - and keep an open mind, you'll do fine. Don't come expecting the American south in 1940, but don't come expecting Bali Hai or an Elvis movie, either!

Comment

The short answer to your question is most likey maybe not.

Comment

well it may true that the conquests all around the world have changed the face of things, and we should accept who owns what now...
        I believe that still does not justify continue trying to take more away from the kanaka maoli. And for some, (not saying you in particular) to bring their pushy mainland ways to our islands.

there is not pat simple answer to what will be the direction and result of an initiated Hawaiian nation.

your your experience as a white person here will be as individual and varied as the number of transplanted mainlanders.

there is no exact recipe and result for your experience. It will mostly be dependent on your perspective and attitude;

You will experience to a great degree, what you project. Got rose colored glases on? things may be rosier...

conversely, "everything is yellow to the jaundiced eye."

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon
          but don't come expecting Bali Hai or an Elvis movie, either!

's'funny about that. even in 61 when they filmed Evis's Blue Hawaii, the opening shots were at Hanauma bay. They had to shut it down for a few days and chase away all the people and hide "modern" buldings, erect a grass shack and make that appear as a quiet, idyllic lagoon as if in the 20's which even then it was not...

Comment

brada mike,

wat can u cook man? jus bring da grindz, talk story, eat and drink wit da peepz, and u be ok.

jus no make tarantaran kine style and ack up den das anodda issue.
            Reggie aka pinakboy
            Reggie's Kaukau Time! blog
            Raw Eats Veggie Videos
            Recipe Tube TV!
            Deep Fried Recipes TV!

checkem out!!

Comment

Visiting Hawai'i with a profound respect for its history will go a long way in enhancing your vacation. As stated previously, if you visit with a chip on your shoulder about how everything has to be done your way, then yes, expect a lot of resistance. There's also a biiiig difference between being a visitor and being a new resident. There isn't as much concern about the 1 or 2 week visitor to the islands (in fact, they'll welcome you with open arms). But if you go to Hawai'i with the intention of becoming a resident, then the velvet gloves will come off and you will see the "real" Hawai'i: the one with residents fighting against high taxes, low wages, scarce resources, crowded freeways, lack of affordable housing. I'd be grumpy, too, if my shoes pinched.

Miulang
              "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Working...
              X