Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alo----------------ha!

Hi everyone,
    A big hello from Down Under. Melbourne Australia.

My wife Susan & I have visitied Ohau 2 times so far and loved every minute of each trip... well almost... don't worry... its really a nice story.

We'd been nervously travelling multiple destinations on business in the weeks after September 11, 2001 and eventually arrived in Honolulu prior to returning to Australia. We thought we could finally relax, only to be a bit saddened by showers each morning. This was a bit of a bummer for Susan, so I composed a little ditty on the beach at Waikiki to cheer her up. When I returned home, I completed the song & recorded it.

Please check out my fun song "Raining in Waikiki", at...
    http://www.mp3.com.au/adriannewington
    ...and have a bit of a sing along. You'll easily pick up the melody and the words.

We very much love Hawaii and have returned since & will again.

love & best wishes to all,
    Adrian.
    Last edited by AdrianN; July 27, 2005, 06:25 PM.

Re: Alo----------------ha!

Adrian:
    You and your wife shouldn't have been sad about the showers in Hawai'i. As you noticed, it's a warm shower, and it doesn't last long. Showers create the rainbows (anuenue) that grace Hawaiian skies on many days. Some people say you are doubly blessed if you see a double rainbow (one inside the other). It's happened to me several times while I was in Hawai'i. And if you were in Waikiki when it rained, did you notice how everyone cleared off the beach? The morning or afternoon showers also help keep Hawai'i the lush paradise that it is.

We were in Waikiki a couple of years ago having brunch at the Royal Hawaiian Hotel when the rain started and everyone deserted the beach. When we went strolling in the walkway, we imagined that this is what Waikiki must have looked like in the old days before tourism...nice white sandy beach, nobody around (except in the bad old days, the swath of beach that is now Waikiki was a whole lot smaller. Most of the sand was trucked in to create Waikiki Beach).

Miulang
    "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Hi Miulang
      Thats a nice story about seeing the deserted beach as Waikiki was pre-tourism. Amyway, we weren't to sad... it was just the stress of all that nervous air travel we had to do once the air space was re-opened. We had been eagerly waiting for the trip to Ohau to eventate for such a long time, that we didnt expect to encounter rain. But , you're right, the rain does keep Hawaii lush, and it didn't last long anyway.

We loved our visit and we will return.

Maloha,
      Adrian

Comment

Can I just say this one thing:

YO ADRIAN!!!

LOL

Sorry dude, but I just had to say that, because as you can tell, my name is also Adrian, and everyone else was saying that to me and I got tired of it.

And most of the time, its very sunny here, infact, so sunny that some drivers don't know how to drive when there's water on the road j/k

But seriously, glad you liked your trip here, and hopefully when you come back to visit, it'll be sunny and you'll fall in love with our beautiful island!
        How'd I get so white and nerdy?

Comment

Hey Adrian... its Adrian here.
          So, you got tired of "Yo Adrian" eh?....

Well... I've been putting up with: "Adree-arrrrrrrrrrn"! (ref: the movie ROCKY)... for years... In fact, it had been going on for so long that I actually forgot about the movie, and wondered why people I'd just met would call me, "Adree-arrrrrrrrrrn"! Spooky I thought?!?!?

Eventually, I remembered the movie and it all fell back into place.

Anyway, regardless of the weather, I know Hawaii is an awesome beautiful place. One thing I've found is that for me, there is a palpable 'vibe' about the place. Relaxation just oozes out of the place. And another thing, is that virtually everywhere you go you hear ukelele's or other hawaiian music.

Hawaii genuinley has a loving heart about it.

AdrianN

Comment

I absolutely love the brief showers. Plus the rainbows.. absolutely perfect.

Just something I was thinking about though.. in regards to pre-tourism Waikiki.. I don't think Waikiki would be Waikiki without the built-up tourist industry with all the people. Makes it so unique and special. I love that urban feel and beach culture combined.

Where else would be similar? - maybe Rio de Jainero?

Comment

Originally posted by Tiger Beer
              I absolutely love the brief showers. Plus the rainbows.. absolutely perfect.

Just something I was thinking about though.. in regards to pre-tourism Waikiki.. I don't think Waikiki would be Waikiki without the built-up tourist industry with all the people. Makes it so unique and special. I love that urban feel and beach culture combined.

Where else would be similar? - maybe Rio de Jainero?
              Heehee..I don't think you can equate Waikiki with na praia o Ipanema...I'd give a bazillion bux to walk that beach just to see all the beautiful bodies in their tangas (the men and the women both)...if tourists wore tangas in Waikiki, they'd get busted for indecent exposure (in more ways than one ). Waikiki is Waikiki.

Miulang
              "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

the tanga.. wonder where else in the world that would be popular?

Miami? Or hasn't Miami got to Rio standards yet? (I've never been to Miami).

I know what you mean about Rio tangas though.. dental floss bikinis! Surprising both men and women as well..

Comment

the tanga.. wonder where else in the world that would be popular?

Miami? Or hasn't Miami got to Rio standards yet? (I've never been to Miami).

I know what you mean about Rio tangas though.. dental floss bikinis! Surprising both men and women as well..
                  Picture this: women of a "certain age" (as in, like Bea Arthur or your grandma) flouncing around topless in a tanga? NOSSA! Maybe in South Beach or the Keys, but definitely not in Miami!

Miulang

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang
                    Picture this: women of a "certain age" (as in, like Bea Arthur or your grandma) flouncing around topless in a tanga? NOSSA! Maybe in South Beach or the Keys, but definitely not in Miami!

Miulang
                    I gotta someday try to get to South Beach!

Comment

I gotta someday try to get to South Beach!
                      Nah,bra...pass by MWH. Get one old Tita who wears frozen tank tops to cool off from the summa heat!

Auntie Lynn

It's Aloha Friday. Have a great one all!
                      Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
                      Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Originally posted by 1stwahine

Nah,bra...pass by MWH. Get one old Tita who wears frozen tank tops to cool off from the summa heat!
                        Sa mattah Auntie, nomo nuff crabs insai Nu'uanu Stream dat you gotta lay your crab nets in front MWH now? Hahaha!

Comment

Eh Aunty, Thanks Fo Remind Me Aloha Friday, Only In Hawaii
                          bin dea-dunn dat.

Comment

Working...
                          X