Any IT jobs in Hawaii?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any IT jobs in Hawaii?

My wife and I have recently begun tossing around the idea of moving to Hawaii for a few years for "something different." We each have around 10 years of computer programming experience, but I realize that the IT market in Hawaii can't possibly be as nice as even where we are now in Arizona (which isn't too hot). Are there jobs available for programmers?

I have heard that taking an IT job in Hawaii means taking a huge paycut, and we're ok with that - we're just concerned whether or not we would have any chance at all of getting jobs. We could probably pay for our relocation ourselves. Does anyone have any knowledge of the IT market in Hawaii and whether or not programmers can make a semi-comfortable living in Hawaii?

Thanks for any help!!

Re: Any IT jobs in Hawaii?

first off I would be very leery about casually tossing around the idea of moving to Hawaii. You WILL be in for "something different".

Comment

There are IT jobs, but few good IT jobs. I technically have an IT job, but have it more for my "jack of all trades" nature and other strengths besides technology. I know people who maintain every certification in the book (and have a resume filled with acronyms) who end up working in retail.

As one small example, an IT position that would net you 80K starting anywhere else is a 50K job here... if you're lucky, and maybe after a few years. As a senior engineer, you'd basically be earning what a kid fresh out of college would get on the Mainland. Of course, few IT people who know what they're worth would take the position, which leads to an odd chasm where the job is available, but no one wants it!

More significantly, because of the cost of doing business and the high cost of labor (even if you're paying below market) has made outsourcing very popular. Lots of big companies here retain Mainland companies to perform services once handled by in-house programmers, and of course, foreign labor is becoming quite popular. I know a guy whose business model is charging local companies rack rates for web development, but actually getting the work done in India for a song.
      Last edited by pzarquon; August 10, 2005, 09:45 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon

There are IT jobs, but few good IT jobs. I technically have an IT job, but have it more for my "jack of all trades" nature and other strengths besides technology. I know people who maintain every certification in the book (and have a resume filled with acronyms) who end up working in retail.

As one small example, an IT position that would net you 80K starting anywhere else is a 50K job here... if you're lucky, and maybe after a few years. As a senior engineer, you'd basically be earning what a kid fresh out of college would get on the Mainland. Of course, few IT people who know what they're worth would take the position, which leads to an odd chasm where the job is available, but no one wants it!

More significantly, because of the cost of doing business and the high cost of labor (even if you're paying below market) has made outsourcing very popular. Lots of big companies here retain Mainland companies to perform services once handled by in-house programmers, and of course, foreign labor is becoming quite popular. I know a guy whose business model is charging local companies rack rates for web development, but actually getting the work done in India for a song.
        I'm trying to remember again why it was that I wanted to move back home. How depressing, especially now with the current so-called booming economy and the abundance of available jobs I've been reading about online.

Comment

Working...
        X