Any RN's/nurses here?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any RN's/nurses here?

I am hoping to network with some fellow nurses here! Some background for you-I am moving to Kauai to be near family, since I got divorced and have no family on the mainland. I am getting my Hawaii RN license soon (it's in the works). I have been an RN for 12 years-currently working ER at an Army hospital and I am a federal employee (Department of Defense). My experience is varied-I have practiced in many specialties-Open Heart CCU, Trauma ICU, Flight Nurse, Tele/Stepdown, GI Lab/Endoscopy, Recovery Room/Post Anesthesia Care Unit, Adult/Adolescent/Child Psychiatry, Psych ER, Chemical Dependency/Detox, Correctional Health (prisons), and of course ER which I have done for the past 2.5 years. Most of my experience is in Correctional Health (was a head nurse of a large Texas mens prison for 4 years) and in Psych/Detox (have about 4 years in that area as charge nurse).
    I could easily apply for a transfer to Tripler Army (the pink palace) in Oahu, but the whole point of moving to Hawaii is to spend lots of time near my family and they are on Kauai. I hate to "throw away" my govt benefits and security of a govt job, but my family is most important to me-I am 40 years old and aint getting any younger! I WILL take a one year leave of absence when I move from the mainland, so at least I keep that Tripler option open JUST IN CASE things just dont work out on Kauai and I HAVE to live in Oahu-but that is a last resort thing.
    Kauai has only 3 very small hospitals with very few openings so there is no guarantee that there will be openings when I move there (which hopefully will be no later than March). So i am preparing for the other options-working agency, home health, and nursing homes (if i must-i will do whatever kind of nursing i need to in order to pay the bills, at first anyway)....and would even consider taking short travel assignments to BI, Maui, and Oahu, or fly into Honolulu for prn work (maybe every other weekend to do 3 back to back 12 hour shifts or something).
    My preferences are #1 prisons/correctional health #2 psych/detox #3 ER or PACU
    So...if there are any other nurses, or anyone familiar with healthcare in Hawaii, would love to hear about your experiences, ideas, advice! Big Mahalos!
    Last edited by kauaitita; August 15, 2005, 02:57 AM.

Re: Any RN's/nurses here?

thats a good job. who would divorce you haha
    Ebb And Flow

Comment

Originally posted by newroots
      thats a good job. who would divorce you haha
      I divorced HIM ha ha! Biggest loser, even the Army got rid of him. He cost me too much money. Now I don't have to share my hard earned money any more.

Comment

do you like prison
        Ebb And Flow

Comment

Originally posted by newroots
          do you like prison
          well, i have never been an inmate but i really love working in prisons! correctional health is the best kept secret in nursing. it was my favorite job i ever had. i still work prisons as an independent contractor once in a while, it is just not my full time job right now. who knows, maybe Hawaii prisons or jails might have some work for me, ya think?

Comment

Most of my experience is in Correctional Health (was a head nurse of a large Texas mens prison for 4 years) and in Psych/Detox (have about 4 years in that area as charge nurse).

hey did you get to participate in any secret human medical experiments with the inmates? you can tell us shhhhhhhh.
            Good luck on the move I'm looking to move my family to Puna in about 14 months.We just have to wait out awhile till our capital gains 2 yr timer runs out on this property

Comment

kauaitita,

Have you checked the Hawaii Pacific Health website? They have the listings for all of their job openings @ Wilcox. I'll find the link and post it.

PS: My sister used to live in Savannah, Ga., too.

Comment

Here 'ya go. Good luck!

http://www.hawaiipacifichealth.org/c...ers-index.html

Comment

Originally posted by Kekaha Roots
                  kauaitita,

Have you checked the Hawaii Pacific Health website? They have the listings for all of their job openings @ Wilcox. I'll find the link and post it.

PS: My sister used to live in Savannah, Ga., too.
                  yeah i have that website, thanks, and have been in touch with Wilcox over the phone-they had no openings for RN's believe it or not, at least last month. i think they have some now, but i wont be out there till jan/feb, so pray they need me then!
                  are you from kekaha?????????? i have stayed at PMRF beach cottages once.
                  i love the west side. my north shore sister thinks i am lolo but i do.

Comment

Originally posted by kauaitita
                    yeah i have that website, thanks, and have been in touch with Wilcox over the phone-they had no openings for RN's believe it or not, at least last month. i think they have some now, but i wont be out there till jan/feb, so pray they need me then!
                    are you from kekaha?????????? i have stayed at PMRF beach cottages once.
                    i love the west side. my north shore sister thinks i am lolo but i do.
                    No, I'm not from Kekaha, but that's where my family is from. If you want, send me your resume and I'll check if my cousin can submit it. She's a VP at HPH.

Comment

Working...
                    X