Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do you think I can do it? Move to oahu

Hey guys!
    New to the forum, so help me out here. Here's the plan...I'm going into junior year of high school right now, and in 2007 i will graduate. About a week after i graduate i plan to get a one way ticket to Honolulu with my buddy mike. We are both going to go over there and look for jobs, take the first simester of college off...and settle in. NOW, heres where the trouble starts. 1) How is the job market in honolulu for a high school grad? 2) Do you think me and my buddy mike will be able to pay for a small apartment? (u kno, with the essentials...) 3) college reccomendations?? which ones do u guys like near honolulu?
    So for the college situation, I have 25,000 from my parents...and thats it...and i think i will be considered "out of state", which rides up the wages even more. Please help...thank you so much

Mahalo...
    -Bo

Re: Do you think I can do it? Move to oahu

>New to the forum, so help me out here.
    yes SIR!

>NOW, heres where the trouble starts.
    No, the trouble started a little earlier.

>1) How is the job market in honolulu for a high school grad?
    do you enjoy the construction business? I mean the sandwich construction business? do you like subway?
    gooood!

>2) Do you think me and my buddy mike will be able to pay for a small apartment?
    Wrong question.
    How about; "FIND... a small apartment"
    then maybe, convince landlord to rent to you above all the other 50 applicants.
    then maybe pay for small apartment.
    and then, by "small apartment", I hope you realise that means bunk beds.
    Or; you sleep nights, Mike sleeps days.
    now yer gettin' it.
    Last edited by kimo55; August 18, 2005, 07:06 AM.

Comment

Make that a round-trip ticket, just in case, and I'd say go for it. But do read the other threads here about moving to Hawaii.

Twenty-five grand can go a long way for education here if you're willing to start off at a community college. I've attended classes at two of our CCs and the instructors were very, very good.

If you really want some bang for your buck, though, move to Hilo, forget about taking the semester off, and attend the University of Hawaii at Hilo. Get a campus job to pay for food and incidentals. Earn a degree.
      But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
      GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

since me and me wife are looking to move to Hilo I can say the price would be night and day what like 300% Scrivener?

Comment

Invest some of the money in a really well-maintained, later-model van when you get here. Move into it. Shower at beach parks. I'm not kidding.

Comment

okay, hmmm sounds very complex from what i see here...soo do you think taking a year off in hawaii...setting up my residency...working full time as a waiter somewhere (somethin like that)...and then going to UH Manoa and living in a dorm would be a good idea?
            Feedback please!

Comment

>okay, hmmm sounds very complex from what i see here...

actually it's quite simple;
              jobs and residential sitations are very scarce.

>...working full time as a waiter somewhere (somethin like that)...and then going to UH Manoa and living in a dorm would be a good idea?

sounds good in theory. in practice, that's another story.

Comment

Originally posted by kimo55
                actually it's quite simple;
                jobs and residential sitations are very scarce.
                Sorry Kimo, but I've gotta disagree with you. They're not "very" scarce.

They're extremely scarce!

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

so you guys are basically saying that it will be nearly impossible for me to move to hawaii if i am correct

Comment

I don't want to shoot down your dream. I think people here are just trying to give you a realistic idea of what it's like for someone in your situation to move here. Not that you can't or shouldn't, just that it would involve considerable sacrifice. But the payoff can be really cool, and well worth it. Don't get discouraged too easily! Just think hard about it and be as prepared as you can be.

Comment

Originally posted by nanoman3000
                      so you guys are basically saying that it will be nearly impossible for me to move to hawaii if i am correct
                      even if you were NOT correct; moving to Hawaii would be physically possible. Just make sure ya have return tix in yer hand so you can de-plane (deplane, boss! deplane!)
                      and grab a maitai, say aloha, howdy, howzit and then, buh bye!

Comment

It won't be easy and it won't be cheap. But if you have the dream of hanging out in Hawai'i for awhile, do it while you don't have responsibilities like a career or a wife and kids. Check out shared housing situations, it may be the only way you'll be able to find a place to live. Available housing is very very scarce and very expensive. But you're still young, so if you're resourceful, you could at least try your luck there. Just don't forget to buy that round trip ticket and stay in your parents' good graces, just in case...

Miulang
                        "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

It's not impossible. Just impractical at this stage. I did what you did twelve years ago. It was not an easy thing to do then, and things have changed a lot since then. The cost of living here is outrageous. Nobody I know on the mainland believes me when I say that, but it's true. If you come out here without a job or prospects, you will have a very hard time.

Having said that, I love Hawai'i. I married a local boy and I'm raising my kids here and moving here was the best thing I ever did. But it really helps to have a plan.

Comment

okay, good feedback...but what are your stories??? How did you get to hawaii??? There has got to be some way for me to move there after high school, get a job and rent out a small apartment with some friends...

Comment

If you really have that $25,000 cash in hand, your prospects are a hair better than your average "throw caution to the wind" transplant. I say you sock away $5,000 or so specifically to fund an exit plan -- return tickets, living expenses for a couple of weeks, moving costs, and the ever present "miscellaneous." The hardest part of landing in Honolulu and finding it impossible to subsist (or simply finding it a bad match) is getting back out. Without a worst-case plan, you'll end up on the streets.

Keep in mind, there are people who grew up here, lived here their entire lives, had jobs, homes, and a family, and they ended up homeless. "One paycheck away from the streets" is standard operating procedure here.

I think Miulang makes a good point in that, if there's any point in your lifetime to try this, it's probably now. I'm much more confident about a young person just testing out the world than I am about someone who's uprooting a family. So if you've got that Hawaii twinkle in your eye that just won't die, after graduation makes more sense than ten years from now with a family and a mortgage.

I've helped a handful of people in nearly your same situation make a go of it here. A couple of them are thriving. So it's possible, yes. Just be prepared to lower your standard of living.

You will fight like mad for a closet of a studio apartment in a noisy neighborhood for $1,000 a month, exclusive of other expenses -- then probably cram two roomates into that space to afford it.

You will pound the pavement to find a job, and it will almost certainly be in the service industry -- low wages, long hours, lots of stress, little respect. If you've done food service, I have to say that waiting tables seems to be one popular way of making ends meet. The pay can range from mediocre to good, just expect to start on graveyard shifts and have plenty of patience for the way locals conduct themselves as customers and as managers.

To earn money to pay rent and to fund college will be a serious challenge. I agree that our community colleges are a good deal, but I still think out-of-state rates aren't exactly cheap. But if I were to change one part of your plan, it would be to work like mad to start school here immediately. Everyone knows what really happens when you say you're taking "just one semester off."

Since you have some funds to cushion your landing, why not start off as a part-time student, part-time worker, and room-to-share renter. If you end up unable to sustain tuition, so be it, but it might be easier to make contacts (your chosen campus might even have job placement services) and put down roots with what little structure the student life offers, rather than landing and immediately becoming yet another kid with a high school diploma and not much else.

Comment

Working...
                              X