Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice for newbie? Please!

Hello,

I'd like some advice from locals on moving to Oahu. My husand is currently investigating graduate schools. He is very interested in Hawaii Manoa and their zoology program. He spent several months there this last year and loved the school. I am very concerned about us moving to Hawaii. I know that the cost of living is incredibly high. I have also heard that jobs and housing are scarce. My questions are several: First how bad is the job market? I'll be graduating with a masters in student affairs and a juris doctorate this spring. Ideally I'd like to find a position at a local university in student affairs. Is this going to be difficult or even possible? Second, are we going to be able to find housing? We can afford about $1500/mnth and aren't too concerned about sq footage. We also have a small dog whom we have rented with for the past three years. Finally, are there any other issues we should take into consideration? I am very much a researcher/planner and want to make sure I have my bases covered. Thanks in advance for your help!

Re: Advice for newbie? Please!

pzarq! Where's yer FAQ!?

Comment

Originally posted by starrynights
      Hello,

I'd like some advice from locals on moving to Oahu. My husand is currently investigating graduate schools. He is very interested in Hawaii Manoa and their zoology program. He spent several months there this last year and loved the school. I am very concerned about us moving to Hawaii. I know that the cost of living is incredibly high. I have also heard that jobs and housing are scarce. My questions are several: First how bad is the job market? I'll be graduating with a masters in student affairs and a juris doctorate this spring. Ideally I'd like to find a position at a local university in student affairs. Is this going to be difficult or even possible? Second, are we going to be able to find housing? We can afford about $1500/mnth and aren't too concerned about sq footage. We also have a small dog whom we have rented with for the past three years. Finally, are there any other issues we should take into consideration? I am very much a researcher/planner and want to make sure I have my bases covered. Thanks in advance for your help!
      If you're planning to bring your dog with you, please remember that there are quarantine laws in Hawai'i (that's why there have been no cases of rabies in the islands). You need to follow instructions very carefully if you don't want to have your dog in quarantine for months (in which case, you have to pay for boarding too). Also, if you're renting, most places don't allow pets at all. Your best bet is to leave your dog with family or friends on the Mainland.

Miulang
      "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

The job market is actually quite strong with the lowest unemployment in the nation. Whether there is something in your field, you would have to research that specifically. The cost of living is high but there are ways to economize. Regarding your dog, Muilang is correct about paying close attention to the quarantine laws so you can avoid extensive and expensive boarding. Pet friendly housing is a problem but not insurmountable. The Hawaiian Humane Society website has pet friendly rental listings. You absolutely need to get letters of recommendation for your pet (I know, bizarre) from past or present landlords. That will go a long way to facilitate finding a place with your dog.

Comment

We also have a small dog whom we have rented with for the past three years
          How much does the dog kick in? he he the wording kinda sounds like he's a paying roommate
          Good luck glossyp you found a good forum with locals that will tell you the facts

Comment

Aloha,
            First, I'd have to say that your Don McLean reference is awesome. Unless of course you just like starry, starry nights. Then it's not so awesome. Word on the street is that the job market is good, the housing market is bad. I think more important though is that you have a j.d. and aren't going to practice law . . . . . why waste the money on a law degree if you just want to work in a junior college and tell kids what they should/shouldn't take? Do something that is important - something that matters - don't waste the education. I'm going to move to Hawaii and end up selling copiers. Granted it's a respectable job - but I also don't have a JD. You should be okay spending 1500/month for an apartment - availability looks good for that price range. Make sure you get your pouch squared away so he/she doesn's spend 2 months in quarantine.
            My two cents. Pitch 'em to the wind or put 'em in your pocket.
            Ragin Cajun

Comment

Originally posted by kimo55
              pzarq! Where's yer FAQ!?
              Like I said before, "How can I move to Hawaii?" will never make a good FAQ entry. There are too many variables, too many individual factors that determine the answer. Someone with a job lined up, an apartment lined up, and thirty grand in the bank will get one answer, someone without a plan, without money, and with six kids will get a very different answer.

We are going to field a lot of these questions, obviously, and I imagine some of us will tire of answering them. But, the various scenarios can be interesting and for the terminally helpful (or nosy) among us, it's as good a conversation topic as any.

Ideally I'd like to find a position at a local university in student affairs. Is this going to be difficult or even possible?
              I don't know if you could hand-pick a department, let along a specific university, but I think you could get a job at a university. I know I see job postings from UH, HPU, Chaminade, even Univ. of Phoenix and HBC all the time. I'd recommend having some money saved up to cover several weeks of job hunting, but your prospects (because of your specialization) are better than most.
              Second, are we going to be able to find housing? We can afford about $1500/mnth and aren't too concerned about sq footage. We also have a small dog whom we have rented with for the past three years.
              Like others have said, the dog is probably the only complicating factor. Even if you plan ahead for quarantine, finding pet-friendly housing isn't easy... and you'll pay a premium. Especially in the tight housing market we have, property owners can be choosy, and they'll opt for someone without pets than someone with them, just to save themselves the hassle.

I'd think $1500 would get you a good studio, or an older or less convenient one-bedroom place, or a rare, and probably skanky, two-bedroom place (but I'd doubt that). Good that you're not picky about square footage, because "big" is relative -- to some, 900 sq. ft. is a cozy bedroom, tops, while to some folks here in Hawaii, it's spacious living quarters for two!

Comment

to suggest someone leave their dog behind on the mainland is akin to suggesting they leave their kid behind. my two little dogs are my babies. i am taking them to Kauai. yes i know that it complicates finding a rental, but my sister has lived on Kauai for 18 years and somehow has always managed to find a place that allowed her dogs (during her non-homeless, tent living/squatting phases).....i am an RN working Emergency Medicine, and am a responsible 40 year old single female. and i will have excellent references. any landlord will recognize that this is someone who will not be unemployed, will pay her rent, and generally nurses are seen as responsible...so i am optimistic that i will find something (and have even seen rentals in the paper that say ok to dogs).....i have to be optimistic. hope is all i got. i have to move to Kauai whether i like it or not. i need my family and i am all alone on the mainland.

Comment

Originally posted by kauaitita
                  to suggest someone leave their dog behind on the mainland is akin to suggesting they leave their kid behind.
                  As a lifelong dog lover and owner, I disagree. I left my much-adored dog behind when I moved here. I wasn't about to put her through the torture and agony of the quarantine process. Many dogs' spirits have been destroyed that way. I found my dog a great family with kids to play with.

She was much better off, so I was able to heal from my loss. I'm sure that if I'd left a child behind I'd still be heartbroken every minute of every day.

Comment

I really appreciate the responses so far. As to my dog, there is no way I am leaving her behind. I was aware of the quarantine laws and am already working with my vet to make sure we have all of our bases covered. Thanks to the poster who recommended the humane society for housing listings. I hadn't thought of that!
                    As to the poster who questioned why I am "wasting my education." I'm actually doing no such thing. I plan on entering the student affairs profession in an entry level position, working my butt off, and meeting my end goal as a person in a vp or pres position. My Jd will greatly enhance my marketability. Thus, the reason I pursued both degrees at the same time. Currently, I don't ever see myself practicing law.
                    Finally, is there any one way you reccomend searching for housing. I've been checking online frequently, just to get an idea as to cost availability--we're not planning on moving for another year. To me, it appears that there are a lot of places open and in our price range. Ideally, we'd like to live in the Kaneohe area. However, I fear from reading this forum that there are 50 other people looking at every one of these rentals. Do you suggest coming out a couple of weeks before housing is needed and checking out places? A couple days, months? We have family in the area, so staying with them wouldn't be a problem. Again, thanks for all of your help.

Comment

I really appreciate the responses so far. As to my dog, there is no way I am leaving her behind. I hadn't thought of that!

As to the poster who questioned why I am "wasting my education." I'm actually doing no such thing.

Finally, is there any one way you reccomend searching for housing. I've been checking online frequently, just to get an idea as to cost availability--we're not planning on moving for another year. Ideally, we'd like to live in the Kaneohe area.
                      However, I fear from reading this forum that there are 50 other people looking at every one of these rentals. Do you suggest coming out a couple of weeks before housing is needed and checking out places? A couple days, months? We have family in the area, so staying with them wouldn't be a problem. Again, thanks for all of your help.
                      If you live in Kaneohe (Windward side), you'll be facing a 45 min commute via car into Honolulu for UH Manoa (longer if you plan to bus it).

As someone who has lived here for almost three years, I'm facing the same struggle for pet-friendly housing. My job situation limits me to looking for apartments in Honolulu only, and I've resigned myself to having to pay more for lower quality in order to accomodate pets.

As you're probably already aware, other than Humane Society, feel free to search the housing section of Craig's List and Rentals Illustrated, in addition to the classifieds sections of the Honolulu Advertiser, Honolulu Star-Bulletin, and Midweek.

It's a tough situation--good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by MadAzza
                        As a lifelong dog lover and owner, I disagree. I left my much-adored dog behind when I moved here. I wasn't about to put her through the torture and agony of the quarantine process. Many dogs' spirits have been destroyed that way. I found my dog a great family with kids to play with.

She was much better off, so I was able to heal from my loss. I'm sure that if I'd left a child behind I'd still be heartbroken every minute of every day.
                        I wont put my two dogs in quarantine. Thats why i never moved to Kauai before now. I am paying the direct release fees and doing what i have to do so they dont spend ONE day in a cage.

Comment

I really appreciate the responses so far. As to my dog, there is no way I am leaving her behind. I was aware of the quarantine laws and am already working with my vet to make sure we have all of our bases covered. Thanks to the poster who recommended the humane society for housing listings. I hadn't thought of that!
                          As to the poster who questioned why I am "wasting my education." I'm actually doing no such thing. I plan on entering the student affairs profession in an entry level position, working my butt off, and meeting my end goal as a person in a vp or pres position. My Jd will greatly enhance my marketability. Thus, the reason I pursued both degrees at the same time. Currently, I don't ever see myself practicing law.
                          Finally, is there any one way you reccomend searching for housing. I've been checking online frequently, just to get an idea as to cost availability--we're not planning on moving for another year. To me, it appears that there are a lot of places open and in our price range. Ideally, we'd like to live in the Kaneohe area. However, I fear from reading this forum that there are 50 other people looking at every one of these rentals. Do you suggest coming out a couple of weeks before housing is needed and checking out places? A couple days, months? We have family in the area, so staying with them wouldn't be a problem. Again, thanks for all of your help.
                          there is NO quarantine AT ALL if you follow the instructions PRECISELY and pay money for direct release!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by kauaitita
                            I wont put my two dogs in quarantine. Thats why i never moved to Kauai before now. I am paying the direct release fees and doing what i have to do so they dont spend ONE day in a cage.
                            Yes, it's great that they have that system now. When I moved here, it was the old style, where dogs had to stay in cages for three months. <shudder> Plus, five months after moving here I had to move to Guam for a few years, and I would have had to put my dog through that agony all over again! I really think it might have killed her.

The system is so much better now. I hope it continues to improve and become even easier for people and pets to stay together. It would be great if people could bring their pets here on vacation.

Oops, thread drift!

I wish you and your pooch all the best during your move, Starry. Stay in touch, k?

Comment

Originally posted by MadAzza
                              Yes, it's great that they have that system now. When I moved here, it was the old style, where dogs had to stay in cages for three months. <shudder> Plus, five months after moving here I had to move to Guam for a few years, and I would have had to put my dog through that agony all over again! I really think it might have killed her.

The system is so much better now. I hope it continues to improve and become even easier for people and pets to stay together. It would be great if people could bring their pets here on vacation.

Oops, thread drift!

I wish you and your pooch all the best during your move, Starry. Stay in touch, k?
                              Could you explain the direct release of your pet? From what I have read, I was under the impression that my dog would have to enter the 5 day or less quarantine because this would be it's first time in HI. Is this not the case anymore?

Comment

Working...
                              X