Alternative Lifestyles...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alternative Lifestyles...

For 2 years (very) long ago now I lived in my old VW Van in California. It was by choice and though not the easiest all the time, it went well. Then I traded it for a 27' cabincruiser powerboat and for the next ten years lived on various boats I owned. What sort of alternatives have you tried? Camping, buses, animal house in Makiki?
    Last edited by Menehune Man; September 2, 2005, 02:32 PM.
    Life is either an adventure... or you're not doing it right!!!

Re: Alternative Lifestyles...

I lived as a drug addict for ten years and lived on peoples sofas,my car,underbridges ect but not somthing I would recomend
    Nice job Buddy I wish there were more people like you out there we seem to be getting so "Stepford Like" in this country

Comment

Originally posted by Fondoo
      Nice job Buddy I wish there were more people like you out there we seem to be getting so "Stepford Like" in this country
      The reason I'm going over "the good old days" is because now I'm stuck paying over $1,000 in rent and bills per month in order to live in a stationery box. Along with the debt that my wife and I have created I feel so trapped. It's all about choices yeah?.

Comment

Originally posted by Buddy2
        The reason I'm going over "the good old days" is because now I'm stuck paying over $1,000 in rent and bills per month in order to live in a stationery box. Along with the debt that my wife and I have created I feel so trapped. It's all about choices yeah?.
        also how we react to them.We have the power to be at peace no matter whats going on on the outside.Easy to say hard to practice

Comment

So true. Thanks buddy. It wasn't doing me any good to pine.

Comment

....in order to live in a stationery box. .. .
            You.. live in a "stationery box" ?!
            then you really must be...
            "pushing the envelope"

haaa hahahaaa.
            umm yea.

Comment

Originally posted by kimo55
              You.. live in a "stationery box" ?!
              then you really must be...
              "pushing the envelope"

haaa hahahaaa.
              umm yea.
              ha ha good one!

Comment

Sheesh, I thought this was gonna be 'bout swingers.
                “First we fought the preliminary round for the k***s and now we’re gonna fight the main event for the n*****s."
                http://hollywoodbitchslap.com/review...=416&printer=1

Comment

I thought someone would come out of the closet.

I have to say that, though I have crashed on a few couches in my day (once for three months during a winter ski bumming stint) I actually prefer the box and having the box to come home to. Guess I'm the stepford. To all free spirits willing and able to do the van/camper/tent lifestyle, however, I say rock on.

By the way, is that a shoe box or a refrigerator box?

Comment

I too have lived an alternative lifestyle. I used to be a Yuppie Yeah that's right the ultimate sinner!

It wasn't easy kicking the habit but eventually I gave up my American Express Platinum Card when it was the ultimate clout card at a whopping $300 annual fee.

Now I live a more humble life (albeit not poor) trying to educate my kids on the value of hard work and public service. I don't want them growing up the way I did although I still drive my BMW! I guess you just can't get rid of some vices
                    Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by sinjin
                      Sheesh, I thought this was gonna be 'bout swingers.

Yes. Not that there's anything wrong with that! Oh well, maybe that's another website for those trolling for dates of various kinds. Me, I just live in a house with the family, with the pets, take out the trash every evening so we don't have any more pets. Wish I could afford to build another floor!
                      Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

For 2 years (very) long ago now I lived in my old VW Van in California. It was by choice and though not the easiest all the time, it went well. Then I traded it for a 27' cabincruiser powerboat and for the next ten years lived on various boats I owned. What sort of alternatives have you tried? Camping, buses, animal house in Makiki?
                        I've spent quite a lot of time just bouncing around the globe teaching english as a native speaker of the language in foreign countries. Either financing further travels from it, or teaching for a bit where I am. (Unfortunately usually it brings me back to South Korea - too easy to get good paying work here!)

For years and years, I've been able to carry everything I own on my back. (Can't do that right at this moment - actually somewhat furnished my current place here in Korea - all temporary of course).

Comment

There's something to be said for being unencumbered with either material or emotional baggage. Life is temporary, after all (at least on this earth - we should hold the afterlife/religious discussion for another forum topic) so it may well be that the less stuff you can manage to accumulate and get attached to, the better. After all, it's people and pets and the aina that gives life that matter most, right? As far as that simple life goes, Lavagal, just hanging out with family and pets and taking out the trash sounds like a great life to me. Of course, it's good to have goals, too. So I say keep striving for that addition onto your hale.
                          Last edited by toeknee; September 7, 2005, 08:11 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by toeknee
                            As far as that simple life goes, Lavagal, just hanging out with family and pets and taking out the trash sounds like a great life to me. Of course, it's good to have goals, too. So I say keep striving for that addition onto your hale.
                            Amen to that! I just love going out back and relaxing in the hammock in the shade with my little girls playing around and the cats hanging out. There's value in such down time!
                            Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

Originally posted by toeknee
                              I thought someone would come out of the closet.
                              Yes?

Actually, that's what I thought too when I clicked on this thread. Doesn't seem HT has much of teh Gay on it, but then again, I don't visit often enough to know.

Comment

Working...
                              X