Coming For A Spring Visit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coming For A Spring Visit

While plans aren't solid for anything, I am at the very least looking into the possibility of coming to Hawaii this coming Spring. Any recommendations on all the good tourity stuff I should know?

Re: Coming For A Spring Visit

Which island(s) are you planning on visiting?

Comment

It's looking to be Oahu, most likely Waikiki. The past two years, I've trying to tackle going to places that I used to think were beyond reach.

Comment

Originally posted by hawaiianlore
        It's looking to be Oahu, most likely Waikiki. The past two years, I've trying to tackle going to places that I used to think were beyond reach.
        Please find time to see the REAL Hawaii ... not just the tourist stuff.
        Listen to KEITH AND THE GIRLsigpic

Stupid people come in all flavors-buzz1941
        Flickr

Comment

Most of my exposure is to the tourist stuff. So what should I know/learn about?

Originally posted by alohabear
          Please find time to see the REAL Hawaii ... not just the tourist stuff.

Comment

For a first visit ANYWHERE, ya gotta do the tourist stuff. There's a reason those attractions are so visited by people and have become tourist attractions in the first place! I would like to add a warning though--some attractions/events are purely invented to perpetuate what tourists envision HI to be, which unfortunately distracts tourists from the truth of what HI actually IS (if that makes any sense). Basically what I'm trying to say is try to discern which "touristy stuff" is tacky/unreal and which "touristy stuff" is worth visiting. (That's where people on HT can help you!)

As far as which "tourist stuff," there are plenty of Hawaii-related websites. I'd recommend looking through them and narrowing down the list based on which destinations appeal most to your personal interests. After all, everybody usually wants different things from their vacations and everybody differs when it comes to what is considered fun on a vacation. Then, maybe you could ask us for our opinions if you have further questions.

A few good general sites:

http://www.hawaii.com/
            http://gohawaii.about.com/cs/oahuact...ttractions.htm
            http://www.visit-oahu.com/

I'd also look at this previous post, as well as doing a search of this site to see what other potential visitors have mentioned:

http://www.hawaiithreads.com/showthr...t=visit+hawaii

As far as experiencing the "real Hawaii," this post kinda gives you an idea of what that means:
            http://www.hawaiithreads.com/showthr...t=visit+hawaii

Good luck planning your trip, and I hope you have a great time!

Comment

Most of my exposure is to the tourist stuff. So what should I know/learn about?
              I would go on the open wave craft on the Na Pali coast, Kauai. For Tourist stuff:Polynesian Cultural Center ,Sea Life Park ,and a must see Haleakala on Maui and The Hawaii Volcanoes National Park on the Big Island.

Enjoy!
              Last edited by alohabear; October 17, 2005, 09:01 AM.

Flickr

Comment

About the Cultural Center....while I am glad I saw it, I don't ever want to see it again. It was exhausting and the food was major suckage. Bad coffee, no real cola drinks, etc.

Comment

Thanks AbsolutChaos and alohabear for your suggestions. I've lived my life as a "land-lubber" so water-related adventures should be interesting.
                  Got any more to check out?

Originally posted by alohabear
                  I would go on the open wave craft on the Na Pali coast, Kauai. For Tourist stuff:Polynesian Cultural Center ,Sea Life Park ,and a must see Haleakala on Maui and The Hawaii Volcanoes National Park on the Big Island.

Enjoy!

Comment

I've heard that you can swim with sharks for an extreme adventure too. Dinner cruise on the Star of Honolulu was touristy fun for me, but make sure to get outside on the upper decks. It's fun to look back at the shoreline and power-zoom into the Ilikai with your video camera.....

The Pearl Harbor tour with the Arizona and Mighty Mo is excellent as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Lalalinder
                      About the Cultural Center....while I am glad I saw it, I don't ever want to see it again. It was exhausting and the food was major suckage. Bad coffee, no real cola drinks, etc.

I agree with this assessment. Absolutely no thought is given to the food there. Why is that? Do they figure that most people who stop in will only be there once in their lives? If they'd spend the money to hire a chef to design their menu, and then hire great kids graduating from culinary programs in Hawaii, there'd be some pretty spectaular stuff worth remembering aside from watching fire dancers. PCC should take the time to emphasize the food of the islands, do it well, and then see itself as a dining destination for residents in the slow seasons. But until then, I seen no reason to drive out there.
                      Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

Originally posted by Lalalinder

Forgot to mention that the lack of caffeinated beverages is the Mormon directive, and suppose they are sticking with that.
                        Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

Originally posted by lavagal
                          Forgot to mention that the lack of caffeinated beverages is the Mormon directive, and suppose they are sticking with that.
                          yep. they do have cokacola but its all caffeine free.

Comment

Thanks AbsolutChaos and alohabear for your suggestions. I've lived my life as a "land-lubber" so water-related adventures should be interesting.
                            Got any more to check out?
                            This is the tour I took on Kauai. My wife was new to the islands at the time , It was an all day tour 8:00-4:00 up the Na Pali coast. Includes lunch and snorkling gear.
                            I know I will always remember it,knowing that most LOCAL people don't do this .

Flickr

Comment

We did the vocano tour this year, and it was awesome. I walked on lava!

And around the same time we were there, we heard that some guy wandered off and got lost for five days. He would have died, but he found some moss to suck on, and then a kid in a helicoter spotted him.

Comment

Working...
                              X