Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Beater car rentals on Oahu?

Hi all,
    I moved to Honolulu recently, without my car. The bus has worked out fine but now I'd like to rent a car for a few days. A couple people have told me there are older car rentals somewhere on Oahu, and if I don't need a fancy new car I can get a beater-type for under $15 a day. I've tried searching online for these companies to no avail. Does anyone know these places' names? Your help is much appreciated.

Mahalo

Re: Beater car rentals on Oahu?

There used to be a couple of 'rent a wreck' type places in Honolulu a number of years ago...one in Kapahulu; the other on the corner of Kapiolani and Pensacola. I know the latter is no longer there and I couldn't find anything when googling the former. At this point in time I'd be surprised if you found any car rental, a wreck or otherwise, in the $15./day range. That's what I paid 10 years ago! Good luck, tho'. If you find anything somewhat close to what you're looking for, please let this forum know!

Comment

Try VIP Car Rentals. Their website is here: http://www.vipcarrentalhawaii.com/

I rented from VIP in 2002 and they gave me a weekly rate of about $80. I had a 1986 Nissan with manual transmission and no power steering. It ran just fine though and I'm glad I found something so cheap since I ended up renting it for 2 months (my car was stuck in Long Beach during the longshoreman strike)!

Comment

Originally posted by Tiabla
        Try VIP Car Rentals. Their website is here: http://www.vipcarrentalhawaii.com/
        [...]
        That was a great rate! I'm curious tho'. Are older cars an unadvertised offer; something one needs to call VIP about? There's no mention of it on their web site...that I could find, anyway!

Comment

Thanks, tutusue I'll give VIP a call. I came across their website before but didn't realize they had older cars as well. If I can get anywhere close to $80/week I'll be doing great!

Mahalo again

Comment

Originally posted by iHeartHawaii
            Thanks, tutusue I'll give VIP a call. I came across their website before but didn't realize they had older cars as well. If I can get anywhere close to $80/week I'll be doing great!

Mahalo again
            The thanks go to Tiabla! I couldn't find any reference to older cars on VIP's web site. Let us know what you find out, 'kay?!

Comment

im looking to rent a car in hawaii when i go in feb hasanyone got any ideas or advice for cheap
              Holiday Forums
              cocktails
              cell phones

Comment

I would have to caution anyone who is planning on coming here "on the cheap," the words "Hawaii" and "cheap" are not in the same dictionary. Especially if you are visiting, don't think you'll slip in and "just" pick up a cheap (car, hotel, meal, luau) ANYTHING.

Cheap can be found, but usually not for transient accommodations.
                Make trouble, have fun, do good stuffs.

Comment

I googled "cheap rental cars in Honolulu" and found this one:

Cheap Rent A Car
                  1137 Hopaka St
                  Honolulu, HI 96814-3406
                  (808) 596-8828

I have no idea what "cheap" means in this case, but it might be worth a try. They don't appear to have a website, so I guess they are low budget (but are they reputable???? )

Miulang
                  "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

I guess I should add to my previous statement that "cheap" is a relative term, especially in Hawaii. (Fair enough?)
                    Make trouble, have fun, do good stuffs.

Comment

Aloha again everyone,
                      I decided finally to ship my truck over here from the mainland. I used Pasha on the advice of a couple people on the hawaii.com forum and I've got my fingers crossed that my little truck arrives here safe and sound.

As for cheap car rentals, I was able to get a weekly rate through Alamo for around $115 (w/ taxes) for a well-equipped compact (a/c, CD player, power everything). The price may have gone up slightly since we're getting into the tourist season again (I've heard). It definitely pays to shop around, especially online-- I went to individual car rental websites as well as low price search engines like priceline.com and Orbitz. Try plugging in different pick-up times, too. Sometimes just picking up a car at 5pm versus 2pm can knock $15 or more off the price. If you take the time to do a thorough search you don't have to pay even half of what I've seen some companies charging for a basic little car.

Hope this helps.

Mahalo for all your suggestions!

Comment

Working...
                      X