No announcement yet.

Did Capt. Cook really discover Hawai'i?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Did Capt. Cook really discover Hawai'i?

We all learned in school that Captain Cook was the first European to discover Hawai'i but I read something that said the Spanish may have beat him here by at least 150 years. Check out this link:

http://www.captainrick.com/influences.htm
    Last edited by Paul; October 24, 2005, 02:12 PM.

Re: Did Capt. Cook really discover Hawai'i?

don't exert yourself.
    and especially others' writings. may be verboten.

Comment

If "discover" means "find and then go home and tell people about it", then no, the Spanish didn't discover Hawai'i.

Comment

Originally posted by Glen Miyashiro
        If "discover" means "find and then go home and tell people about it", then no, the Spanish didn't discover Hawai'i.
        If a tree falls in the forest but nobody sees or hears it, did it really fall? So the Kanaka Maoli didn't discover Hawai'i either because they didn't go home and tell anyone about it?

The Spanish did make maps showing islands on the same lattitude if you read the article. Cook had these maps when he came here. I took out the excerts but provide another link here:

http://www.hawaiicam.com/index.php/h...m/comments/127
        Last edited by Paul; October 24, 2005, 02:21 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Paul
          So the Kanaka Maoli didn't discover Hawai'i either because they didn't go home and tell anyone about it?
          Actually I believe they did. Will search for link.
          “First we fought the preliminary round for the k***s and now we’re gonna fight the main event for the n*****s."
          http://hollywoodbitchslap.com/review...=416&printer=1

Comment

Major dates in Hawaiian history
            Circa 300 — 500 A.D. Polynesians from the Marquesas Islands, southeast of Hawaii in what is now termed the “Polynesian Triangle,” migrate to Hawaii in double-hulled deep-sea voyaging canoes.
            Archaeological finds suggest that these Marquesans may have been the first human inhabitants of the Hawaiian Islands.

Circa 1095 — 1300 A second migration to Hawaii from Tahiti, 2,700 miles south of Hawaii. The Tahitians name the islands Havaiki, after the Tahitian island of Ra’iatea, mythological homeland of all Polynesians. The modern form of this word, Hawaii (the w is pronounced v in most Polynesian dialects),
            may translate to something like “sacred breath and waters of life most high” — ha meaning sacred breath of life, wai (or vai) waters of life, and i’i signifying the highest form of divinity known to Polynesians. Tahitian chiefs, ali’i in Hawaii, voyage back and forth between Tahiti and Hawaii, forming the foundation of a widespread oral history and gradually populating the Hawaiian islands.

Circa 1400 — 1600 With the end of intra-Polynesian voyaging and the commencement of inter-island Hawaiian warfare, the ali’i or chief system of governance is established. Umi, the ali’i nui or high chief on the island of Hawaii (often referred to nowadays as simply “the big island”), divides his island territories into moku or districts, and appoints a lesser chief or ali’i ai moku to govern each district. The ali’i ai moku then subdivide each district into ahupua’a (see related article), governed by still lesser chiefs known as
            ali’i ai ahupua’a. Headmen or konohiki assign ahupua’a plots to workers, planters, craftsmen, fishermen, warriors — the maka’ainana, who maintain their interest in the land through tribute payments and loyalty to the ali’i. The ali'i of the other mokopuni or islands imitate the moku system, and it becomes institutionalized throughout the islands. The kahuna, a class of priests and leading experts, also evolve in these centuries. Kapu laws, strictly forbidding proximity to or contact with certain sacred beings, foods and precincts, come into being as well.

from firstnation.org
            Last edited by sinjin; October 25, 2005, 08:49 AM.
            “First we fought the preliminary round for the k***s and now we’re gonna fight the main event for the n*****s."
            http://hollywoodbitchslap.com/review...=416&printer=1

Comment

Christopher Columbus is credited with "discovering" America too, but I'm sure the natives who had lived on the North American continent for millenia would beg to differ. Personally, I like to think that the Polynesian ancestors of the Hawaiians discovered the uninhabited islands that are now Hawaii.

Comment

Working...
              X