The joy of posting from work

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The joy of posting from work

I usually check HT in the morning at work, while listening to music selections to add to my programs. Today is especially enjoyable, as I am selecting Hawaiian music to add to the program many of you get to hear throughout the Islands - in the airports, shopping malls, restaurants, etc.

Being considered today, CDs by Herb Ohta Jr., Pali, Leilani Rivera Bond, Keahiwai, Na Leo, Eddie Kamae, and a classic-songs compilation. Days like this, I love my work.

Re: The joy of posting from work

Originally posted by Leo Lakio

I usually check HT in the morning at work, while listening to music selections to add to my programs. Today is especially enjoyable, as I am selecting Hawaiian music to add to the program many of you get to hear throughout the Islands - in the airports, shopping malls, restaurants, etc.
    The year was around 1998-99, back when I first moved out here to Daboonies. It was the season of Christmas in the dead of winter with a thick layer of snow on the ground, and to me, all the trees looked dead, barren of all their leaves. On one of those dreary, depressing nights, I took my wife shopping at a local Fred Meyer department store, and as we were talking with each other while pushing a shopping cart through the aisles, a sound suddenly registered in my brain that caused me to freeze in place with an expression of shock in my face. Not noticing, my wife continued walking and talking until I said, "SHHHHH!!! Quiet!!! Do you hear that?? Try listen!!!" She stopped and listened...and said, "Oh yeah. Who is that?"

How could this be happening way out here in the boonies? I got all choked up and kept listening until the song ended, and told her, "That's Dennis Kamakahi with Eddie Kamae and the Sons of Hawai'i singing "Christmas Memories."

I immediately went to the store manager to find out how this was possible. He had no idea who or what I was talking about, but he did say that the in-store music was being provided by Muzak.

After getting home from the store, I called Dennis on the phone and he laughed and got a kick at how excited I was that I had heard his music way out here where things Hawaiian for the most part do not exist, and he also told me that the reason it was being played in a store by where I lived was because he knew someone in the Seattle area who worked for Muzak.

Mr. Leo Lakio...by any chance, was that you?

Comment

Yes and no. It was originally programmed by Derrick Malama (now the "Morning Edition" host on Hawai`i Public Radio, and programmer of the new compilation CD "Pure Hawaiian `Elua"), who introduced me to Dennis when he came to visit Seattle one time. After doing some specialized Hawaiian programs, I fully took over the Hawaiian programming some time after Derrick departed, back around 1999. As I am unsure which specific program the store used, I humbly share the blame/responsibility/credit with Derrick, who taught me a lot about programming Hawaiian music.

Comment

Am I becoming a posting ho?
        It took from August 23-October 3 to reach my first 100 posts, but only from October 3-30 to reach number 200 (this one.)
        Maybe that's why I'm here at work on a Sunday...

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio
          Am I becoming a posting ho?
          It took from August 23-October 3 to reach my first 100 posts, but only from October 3-30 to reach number 200 (this one.)
          Maybe that's why I'm here at work on a Sunday...
          Ah jeez...I really don't know what to tell you 'cept...
          CONGRATULATIONS
          Wish I knew how to turn it into rainbow colors like Aunty Lynn does!

Comment

Working...
          X