island magnetism

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• island magnetism

This summer past I have made two trips from my home of Michigan to the north shore of Oahu. After having visited with my mother I returned on my own less then 3 months later to have a more intimate expirience with the island. On my first journey to the island I met a wonderful person with no particular place to call home, so we just stayed out on the beach all night. It was the clearest night sky these eyes have ever seen! The wind off the ocean on the beach that night was the cleanest most invigorating air I have ever known! I never knew how I loved the wind untill then. The next day I had to fly home with my mother. Taking off in that jet I held back hot tears. I decided in that emotional moment that I must return. I had decided to return in August, for the whole month.. Well sure enough, before the end of july i found my way back. I had kept in-touch with my bohemian beach bum all summer and arranged for he and I to roam together when I got there. I must admit While on Oahu I camped and squatted my ass off. I had a wonderful time, the island and all its spirits were so kind and generous to me. I felt a strong connection with the island. I made some usefull connections and I even landed a good job with a tree service crew. I ended up staying an extra week, because I got to the airport and just couldnt face that departure gate. But eventually after 40 days I did make use of my return flight..... And now here I sit in my home state of Michigan and the island magnetism is so strong i can hardly think of anything else. Not a day has gone by now that I don't seriously think about trading in my current life to go and learn how to become an organic fruit farmer/arborculturist in the hawaiian islands. And of course the more energy i feed the thought the stronger it becomes.
    Where I live everyone worships money, yet all the money in the world can't seem to buy you produce that tastes ono. I want a new begining, and im willing to rough it if need be. I don't need convention in order to be comfortable. I want to return and earn my merit as an organic farm hand. I want to work not for the almighty dollar but for the love of the fruit of the earth! Why do i feel so drawn the the middle of the pacific? My friends think I am "obsessed with this Hawaii thing". What do they know?? They have never tasted liliquoi or mixed kava! I have every intention of saving as much funny money as I can during this cold cold michigan winter and heading to the islands for good. I'm almost certain there is a place for me on the farmscape out there. Anyone else here see the point in my quest or am I just as slap-happy as any wannabe transplant?
    Last edited by Crystal Kuru; October 31, 2005, 09:43 PM.

Re: island magnetism

Go for it! But only if it's for the love of the islands and not the beach bum.
    Listen to KEITH AND THE GIRLsigpic

Stupid people come in all flavors-buzz1941
    Flickr

Comment

Re: island magnetism - Check out wwoof.hawaii.org for organic farming opportunites

Aloha Crystal!!

I agree with alohabear - Go for it! (For for your love of the islands. )
      I am moving to Hawaii soon and I am thrilled about that. But I sincerely regret that I didn't move many years ago do to what you are planning when I first had the opportunity to do so.

I would definitely check out the following website: http://www.wwoofhawaii.org/content/start.html

WWOOF is a coordinating service, bringing together travellers who are seeking to explore new cultures and gain experience in organic growing and other rural activities, with host farms/families.

WWOOFing is a unique cultural exchange in that travellers of all ages can visit communities throughout Hawaii and experience, for a short while, real life on a farm or a rural business. WWOOFers gain from the opportunities to learn about rural life, organic and other sustainable growing techniques as well as being in a family situation. Our hosts express delight and appreciation for the help they receive and the pleasure of sharing their passion for organic growing with enthusiastic visitors.
      http://www.wwoofhawaii.org/content/what.html

Here is their message board where you can network and possibly learn of more opportunities: http://www.wwoofhawaii.org/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl

They have opportunites on all the major Hawaiian Islands, including Oahu: http://www.wwoofhawaii.org/listings/...ai_molokai.htm

I hope you decide to live your dream!! I have found my life always falls into place when I do that, and I believe the same will happen for you if you follow your intuition.

Comment

The aloha side of me would certainly welcome you as a permanenent resident on Oahu. Yet the practical side of me would encourage you to please choose either another island or state to move to. This island is just overcrowded, overcrowded, overcrowded.

Not to sound mean or unwelcoming, it's just very frustrating dealing with the traffic and congestion EVERYWHERE on this island. You can't even drive out country side anymore without getting stuck in traffic. Malls are busting at the seams with shoppers almost ALWAYS. Just to buy a bottle of water, it isn't uncommon to wait in supermarket lines at least 5-10 deep.

O.K. maybe I'm exaggerating a bit, but wouldn't most Oahu'ans agree that we have a congestion problem?

But if or when you decide to move here, you still deserve all the welcome and aloha we can offer.
        sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Originally posted by Pomai
          The aloha side of me would certainly welcome you as a permanenent resident on Oahu. Yet the practical side of me would encourage you to please choose either another island or state to move to. This island is just overcrowded, overcrowded, overcrowded.

Not to sound mean or unwelcoming, it's just very frustrating dealing with the traffic and congestion EVERYWHERE on this island. You can't even drive out country side anymore without getting stuck in traffic. Malls are busting at the seams with shoppers almost ALWAYS. Just to buy a bottle of water, it isn't uncommon to wait in supermarket lines at least 5-10 deep.

O.K. maybe I'm exaggerating a bit, but wouldn't most Oahu'ans agree that we have a congestion problem?

But if or when you decide to move here, you still deserve all the welcome and aloha we can offer.
          Life ain't so rosy on the Neighbor Islands, either.

Miulang
          "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

The islands are very seductive Crystal, but it seems to me that you have spent a lot of time close to the ground as it were, and not insulated as most tourist experiences are, so your dream is one that could very well become reality.

I don't think it's unusual or "obsessive" to feel drawn to any certain place. It happened to me when I visited London. That city just felt like "home", if that makes sense. It just makes my heart sing.

Comment

Mahalo for the replies folks, it means much to me.

Comment

There are a growing number of sustainability initiatives in Hawaii, small co-ops and farms with special lease arrangements that, when they work, offer people an opportunity to live simply and off the land, as it were. It's hard work, but rewarding. A friend of a friend recently walked away from a very stable IT job to grow vanilla, corn, noni, and who knows what else deep in Waimanalo.

It may have to wait until you're on the ground to connect and grow relationships with these groups, but they are here. And hopefully there'll be more.

Comment

MY girlfriend knew this guy from Maui who worked on an organic farm in Hana, Maui. We're talkin' LIVE OFF THE LAND, roughin' it style. Not even electricity. Like in a tent right there with the crops.

Funny enough, he's was a fairly young man (early 20's) originally from the fast lane city of Shinjuku, Japan. But he absolutely LOVED that job. Really was into the organic vegetable concept.
                  sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Re: island magnetism - Check out wwoof.hawaii.org for organic farming opportunites

Originally posted by KarmaGal
                    [...]
                    I hope you decide to live your dream!! I have found my life always falls into place when I do that, and I believe the same will happen for you if you follow your intuition.
                    Good advice!

Take a look at what actor Jason Scott Lee is doing:
                    http://tinyurl.com/85qr7
                    I'm sure there's a more comprehensive article somewhere but I have to admire the guy for what he's doing.

Comment

I have been meaning to join both WWOOF and HOFA, and will do so sometime this winter. I am hoping I can set up something with a host farm as early as april or may for the duration of something like three or more months. With some luck once on the islands I could network with other farmers providing accomidations. Eventho the organic farm scene on Oahu is less then that of the other islands, It is still probably the best choice as far as I am concerned since I have been assured work on the north shore should I choose to return. This promise of work is very enticing to my notion of returning. I realize that by both WWOOFing and working I will be working two jobs, and it will be labor intensive. Should I embark on this journey I would be throwing myself into the hardest labor of my life, a day in my life might consist of waking up to a full morning of farming followed by tree service work till sunset. I just hope I handle all of that work under the bright tropical sun.

Comment

Working...
                      X