Interracial and Sterotypes and Melting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interracial and Sterotypes and Melting

When any ethnic group of people come to Hawaii, they see how incredible it is that we can all get along (for the most part). This is not the case in most urban city's on the mainland.
    Has anyone else heard these little comments at some point in their conversations with other locals, tourists, schoolmates, etc.

"Local guys go after the haole wahines"
    "Haole guys like the local wahines"
    "Da haole (men) like the Filipina"
    "Local guys like Japanee and Haole wahine cause they 'do any kine' ".
    "Da haole (man) do anykine, dat's why the japanee (female) like dem"

I have been in interracial groups in Yahoo, ("Black Sista's for White Mistas")
    and I've found that there seems to be a physical attraction to a person of the opposite gender simply because of the contrast in skin color. That the image of white skin and dark skin embracing in affection and love, is erotic in itself. Would you agree?

Have you ever or would you seek a physical relationship with a person simply because you prefer someone of the opposite ethnicity (race-skin color)?
    If "yes", expalin the attraction . Why is the opposite so alluring?

Re: Interracial and Sterotypes and Melting

Originally posted by harpoon
    "Local guys go after the haole wahines"
    Dat would be me! I married one!
    Actually, the one I ended up with just happened to be haole. Doesn't matter to me.

Comment

I've never heard anything about local guys going after mainland chicks over local chicks. Man we are guys, we go after anything we like. I got a friend who goes after everything as long as its a woman.

I think most people have a tendency for the same thing. Interracial marriage is not that common even in Hawaii. My situation is that I'm an Asian guy with black woman. But her being black didn't encourage nor discourage me from going for her.
      Last edited by saigonwarrior; November 6, 2005, 02:01 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by saigonwarrior
        Interracial marriage is not that common even in Hawaii.
        It's more common here than anywhere else:

Hawaii leads country in interracial couples
        Interracial relationships occurred most often in Hawaii, where more than one-third of married couples and more than one-half of unmarried heterosexual couples were interracial... Hawaii's birth statistics affirm and update the U.S. Census report, said Alvin Onaka, state registrar of vital statistics with the Department of Health. More than 50 percent of the children born in Hawaii in 2001 were interracial. "Hawaii is leading the nation in seeing what America will become," said Onaka, who is an advisor to the National Academy of Sciences panel on racial and ethnic statistics. "America is only recently aware of its diversity, and there are only pockets where they are diverse. We have been aware for 100 years." Onaka said the 2000 census data does not completely reflect Hawaii's diversity. The census question about race gave five choices: white, black, American Indian/Alaskan native, Asian and native Hawaiian/Pacific Islander.
        If you live in Hawaii, or any metropolitan city, you probably have a skewed view of how common multiracial families and relationships are. I assure you, there are still wide swaths of the U.S., and other countries for that matter, where a "different color" is grounds for controversy.

Hence the statistics that show a disproportionate number of interracial couples are unmarried, cohabitating couples. It's probably a bigger deal when they actually tie the knot.

Of course, there are elements of "race awareness" in Hawaii as well. I'm sure more than a few "locals" can still point to examples of getting heat for "not bringing home a good Japanese/Chinese/Filipino boy/girl." But I'm certain that overall, we mix the most.

Heck, in the apartment complex in Makiki we used to live, Asian male, Caucasian female was the most common pairing. It's almost always the other way around.

Comment

Originally posted by saigonwarrior
          I've never heard anything about local guys going after mainland chicks over local chicks. Man we are guys, we go after anything we like. I got a friend who goes after everything as long as its a woman.

I think most people have a tendency for the same thing. Interracial marriage is not that common even in Hawaii. My situation is that I'm an Asian guy with black woman. But her being black didn't encourage nor discourage me from going for her.
          Actually, just about all of my local friends tick off at least 5-7 nationalities when they are asked "what are your nationalities?" which usually means: one or two plantation bloods, at least one European missionary-or-whaler blood, not-always-but-sometimes Hawaiian blood, and then a European immigrant-stopped-off-in-the-US-for-three-generations blood.

(I am probably dating myself with that last line; nowadays we say "ethnicities" but it wasn't that way a couple of decades ago).

pax

Comment

Originally posted by harpoon
            I have been in interracial groups in Yahoo, ("Black Sista's for White Mistas")
            and I've found that there seems to be a physical attraction to a person of the opposite gender simply because of the contrast in skin color. That the image of white skin and dark skin embracing in affection and love, is erotic in itself. Would you agree?

Have you ever or would you seek a physical relationship with a person simply because you prefer someone of the opposite ethnicity (race-skin color)?
            If "yes", expalin the attraction . Why is the opposite so alluring?
            On the other hand, there's the sentiment so well expressed by Na Leo Pilimehana:

Blue eyes and blonde hair don't thrill me
            'Cause I'm in love with the local boys
            Don't try to convince me
            Because the local boys are no ka oi

Comment

It's common to see Nihonjin women (Japanese nationals, not local) dating African-American or Caucasian men. Like you suggested, it's likely that "opposites attract" mindset. Yet I rarely see nihonjin men dating women of those races.

Pzarquon made a good point though. Many of these types of "opposite race" couples face a greater challenge when it's time to tie the knot. Their family may have prejudices against marrying another race. The parents often threaten their children if they marry another race such as, "you're not getting this or that in our will". Just because they feel this "other-race" son or daughter-in-law is no darned good. Which sucks. Racism just sucks. Period.

Asian women are usually the type that find me attractive. Especially Filipino woman. For some reason, I have no problem attracting them. Don't know why though. Maybe because I look (sort of) Caucasian? Or maybe simply because I'm handsome, fit and akamai!

That reciprocates though. Asian women have always been my ideal choice. Physically I find their long, black hair, small face and petite body structure more sexually appealing. Skin tone doesn't really matter for me. Intellectually, most that I've known are well educated and I have good conversations with them. My girlfiend fits the bill on all those attributes.

But my attraction to asian women doesn't make me prejudice, as outside of a personal relationship, I have friends of many races. I think it's rooted to sexual preference more than anything else. Something that doesn't matter in any other social consideration.

Something I find a bit disturbing are gold diggers (men and women). Someone BROKE looking for someone RICH. That new hip hop song with Jaimie Fox tells it all... "You give me money, when I'm in need".
              Last edited by Pomai; November 6, 2005, 10:43 AM.
              sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

"Serviceman hanapa da wahine"

Dat would be my case. I married the first (only) full blooded Native American I met (back in da day). People don't look at us as "different" races because we're both brownish, we blend & we pass (as Mexicans too, hijole'). What people see is our height differences, 5 ft vs. 6'2". Maybe its all about "tall."
                ~Lika

\\000// Malama Pono \\000//

Comment

[QUOTE=pzarquon]

Of course, there are elements of "race awareness" in Hawaii as well. I'm sure more than a few "locals" can still point to examples of getting heat for "not bringing home a good Japanese/Chinese/Filipino boy/girl." But I'm certain that overall, we mix the most.

QUOTE]

Yeah, I've recently broken the news to my Indian parents about my non-Indian, non-Hindu boyfriend, and my dad's not happy at all. I'm no local, but Indians all across the US also want their children to only marry "nice Indian boys/girls from the right family," and my Indian parents are no exception! (I suppose that being raised in the US melting pot makes them more intent on retaining the Indian culture and values, even though their kids are born and raised in the US--and greatly influenced by the US.) I'm hoping that the fact that my boyfriend is "half-Asian," even though it isn't the "correct Asian," aka Indian, will soften them a little over time once they realize there are similarities between the two cultures in terms of values at least. (Or perhaps this is just wishful thinking on my part!)

I'm not looking forward to the family interrogation on my boyfriend when I visit them later this year.

I lived in the South quite a while, and I agree with the observations about interracial couples being very rare there; even in the Midwest, the other place where I spent the majority of my upbringing, interracial couples are not often seen. Boy am I glad that I now live in a place where I "visually" blend in, at least initially!

Comment

I always think it's funny when you get these Hawaiian activists complaining "haole this and that" , but they get one haole chick with them. I saw this a lot when I lived in Ka'u. What brah, the local wahine to much for you?

For me I'm 100% japanese, but have never been with a Japanese woman. i married a Haole from the mainland because we met online and clicked( no computermouse jokes please). My son from my first marriage, is Hawaiian-Filipino,Mexican & Japanese. Women of my own race (although beautiful ) never appealed to me.
                    Last edited by alohabear; November 7, 2005, 04:53 AM.
                    Listen to KEITH AND THE GIRLsigpic

Stupid people come in all flavors-buzz1941
                    Flickr

Comment

Originally posted by alohabear
                      I always think it's funny when you get these Hawaiian activists complaining "haole this and that" , but they get one haole chick with them. I saw this a lot when I lived in Ka'u. What brah, the local wahine to much for you?
                      I fail to see the inconsistency here. One might love someone from a group that has played a negative historical role. Is that not enlightened? Does friendship or love between members of different ethnic groups negate history?
                      “First we fought the preliminary round for the k***s and now we’re gonna fight the main event for the n*****s."
                      http://hollywoodbitchslap.com/review...=416&printer=1

Comment

I'm Haole, my alpha-female is Japanese/Okinawan-American. She's the first and only Asian woman I've ever dated, and I believe she will be the last (after ten years together, we're still on pretty solid romantic ground.)

Does that make for an "Asian fixation"? Hard to say; I've found many Asian women attractive, but I have also found women of every race attractive. Guess I have a "lack-of-Y-chromosome fixation."

Comment

Originally posted by sinjin
                          I fail to see the inconsistency here. One might love someone from a group that has played a negative historical role. Is that not enlightened? Does friendship or love between members of different ethnic groups negate history?
                          Inconsistency is hating a group because of race, but being part- that race or having a mate of that race. If you were enlightened....then the negativetiy wouldn't be there.
                          Last edited by alohabear; November 7, 2005, 09:22 AM.
                          Listen to KEITH AND THE GIRLsigpic

Stupid people come in all flavors-buzz1941
                          Flickr

Comment

Inconsistency is hating a group because of race, but being part- that race or having a mate of that race. If you were enlightened....then the negativetiy wouldn't be there.
                            I don't think it is so simple as hating "because" of race. It's hating(your word) because of actions and attitudes. The fact that those actions and attitudes are predominant in a group carries suspicion that extends to all members of the group.

If all my enemies are of a given group does it follow that all members of that group are by necessity my enemies? Of course not. That's the enlightened part. IMO of course.
                            “First we fought the preliminary round for the k***s and now we’re gonna fight the main event for the n*****s."
                            http://hollywoodbitchslap.com/review...=416&printer=1

Comment

Inconsistency (and idiocy, arrogance, hubris, etc) is hating a group because of race, period. The more "mixed race" couples the better, because it gets us sooner to the end of this divisive "race" BS, and closer to getting along properly as individuals.

Comment

Working...
                              X