Arcade on Hotel Street

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Arcade on Hotel Street

What's up with that arcade on Hotel Street...the one in the vicinity of where the "Hubba Bubba" club was...what a funky old neon sign!

I stepped into it, very briefly, as I worked my way into Chinatown today, and was just curious if this is front for something other than playing ancient arcade games.

The sign on the door to the arcade said 18+ only admitted. What's interesting is that most of the games are what look like 1950's era, non-electronic games. They aren't true pinball games; rather they appear to be some sort of "skill" game where one tries to accumulate high scores by dropping pinballs into specifically marked drop holes. There were 2 people playing the games in there, and it appeared that they had been in the arcade for sometime.

My intial thought, upon entering the arcade, was I was in some sort of time-warp. I felt uncomfortable in there and I did a quick about-face for the exit. I was in there for no more than 15 seconds

It just seemed totally odd that this arcade existed in Honolulu, circa 2005, in this day and age of Xboxes, Game Boys, and PPSs.

Are patrons of the arcade playing towards prizes in there, ala little keiki playing for tickets to be redeemed for small prizes at Chuck E. Cheese, or is there something else going on in there that I'm completely and naively unaware of?

Also: The arcade games in this place are nearly antique...those games, once (and if) they are retired, I bet, would fetch some decent money among collectors of games like that.

Re: Arcade on Hotel Street

Surfingfarmboy! That's Niccki's Arcade. My old stomping ground. Yep, I lost alot of money playing the Turbo Machines! It was a habit, I'm glad I broke learning the hard way. I don't miss it, nor the company.

It's not a front. I vouch for that. My frind owns the joint. It's a place for gamblers though. And one can lose money. It's open 24 hours and only members can play.

The other booths in the back are for Adult Video's.

Auntie Lynn
    Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
    Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Mahalo for answering, Auntie!

I had second thoughts when I posted the question. I thought to myself that maybe I was asking a question that only one learns the answer to when they have established themselves and have become a trusted local in the neighborhood and maybe it would have been wiser not to have asked! In this case, fortunatly, no harm done.

The town I live in RI (maybe not for much longer..I really fell in love with HI again this trip) is not far from cliquish Newport. The self-proclaimed "City by the Sea" has a few places ( in an area known as the "Fifth Ward" ) one doesn't learn the truth about ..or even learn about...until one becomes well-known in town.

Comment

You are very welcome.

We are Ohana here at HT. Always ask if you are unsure. If we don't know, we will help you find an answer.

Auntie Lynn
        Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
        Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

SFB, there are other places on the island with those games, and in many of them, gambling IS going on. Of the very illegal type. I'm not sure what the system is (I'll bet Lynn knows, though!), but the house does pay in some of these places.

I used to frequent a 24-hour arcade on Kapiolani called Kapiolani Cue (it's where Backseat Betty's is now) and it had these games in a back room. Guys would show up early in the morning with little Tupperware containers full of quarters and they'd sit down and play for hours. I am sure there was gambling going on and that the house was involved.
          But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
          GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

I just recalled, when you mentioned Kapiolani Cue and where it once was, that the HPD busted a gambling joint on upper Kalakaua during the time I've been here. I believe it was just last Sunday night/Monday morning when the raid was made.

Comment

Heh. The image of skinny little white boy Randy walking into a Chinatown gambling den is just too precious!

Aloha, sweetie! I hope your flight back to R.I. today is pleasant and hassle free. See you next year!

Comment

Skinny? Why, MadAzza..that's the best compliment you can call a marathon runner...mahalo plenny! (As I sit here in 808 Burners, in either Aiea or PC, downloading music) I'll be back before next Dec. I'm thinking about a June visit...if I can break away for a week from the fields.

Comment

Working...
                X