Kaena Point - is anyone bothered?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kaena Point - is anyone bothered?

Having just returned from my Christmas in Oahu, I have to report having had a great time, but have to report on one thing - the campsites, litter and wrecked cars littering the drive to Kaena Point.

Is anyone in the local or States government bothered about this eyesore?

This is a real blight on your magical island, and I am amazed that this area is allowed to be ruined by locals who are making presumably illegal camps and littering the area.

Is anyone doing anything about this?

David

Re: Kaena Point - is anyone bothered?

Originally posted by davegoessurfing
    Having just returned from my Christmas in Oahu, I have to report having had a great time, but have to report on one thing - the campsites, litter and wrecked cars littering the drive to Kaena Point.
    [...]
    Are you talking about the camp sites along the Waianae Coast? If so...that's an extremely sad situation already discussed on HT. Those are displaced renters, a result of the high real estate appreciation and resultant sales in that area. Not all are displaced, of course, but the majority of those tents hold the new homeless who have been forced out of their rental homes and can't afford the new, much higher rents being charged by the buyers. So many of them have jobs (probably lower end jobs but jobs nonetheless), a car, a family, kids in the local school system. Each week I see an increase in tents and it just breaks my heart.

The wrecked cars you refer to are around Makua beach, before you get to Yokes at the end of the road. Yes, those are eyesores. I have no idea what will happen with those. Nothing, I presume. We're pretty much ignored out there.

Comment

hey. Don't diss our local car abandonment / rusted roadside decor customs. These long held and cherished practices we are very close to, and will perform them wherever we want. Ewa side, North shore, Kahuku... Laie... wherevaz. We would do it Waikiki side, too, if we could. Tried drop off da kine near corner Kapahulu/Kalakaua, one time, but da dang thing wen go get picked up and hauled away within half hour! wot kine dat!?

Comment

any idea why those people are living in tents alongside brokedown vehicles? it's because of the rabid exploitation of Hawaii by the tourism industry that hawaiians can no longer afford to live in their own home. That you would come here uninvited and complain that their presence had a negative affect on your vacation is a true testament to the self absorbment typical of you fuckin haoles. Go somewhere else on vacation, nobody wants you here.
        www.kamaainadesign.com

Comment

It's greed within the tourism industry, rental property owners, businesses of all kinds and the fact that they are not paying as much as they could in wages that is causing us not to be able to afford much . The tourists themselves are keeping alot of us in jobs and food on the table.
          Life is either an adventure... or you're not doing it right!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Menehune Man
            It's greed within the tourism industry, rental property owners, businesses of all kinds and the fact that they are not paying as much as they could in wages that is causing us not to be able to afford much . The tourists themselves are keeping alot of us in jobs and food on the table.
            Actually, hotel workers in Hawai'i generally make more than their Mainland counterparts. It's the high cost of living for everything from housing to food that is killing the local economy and forcing many people into subsistence living.

The Kahului breakwater has a homeless encampment too. What a horrible place to live! Funny thing is, when some of the residents were interviewed, they said it wasn't bad at all, except for those with kids. They could come and go as they pleased, the cops don't harrass them (although the community would love to move them someplace where the cruiseliners and tourists can't see them). But they've been chased from state parks in Lahaina and Waihee and Kanaha Beach. All because they don't have any place else to live. Some are homeless by choice (mostly because of mental illness) but there isn't enough County money to provide the kinds of assistance that these people would need to be able to find decent jobs and places to live. Most people who live out of cars actually probably have jobs, but they don't make enough to afford a place to live.

Miulang
            "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by kama'aina design
              any idea why those people are living in tents alongside brokedown vehicles? it's because of the rabid exploitation of Hawaii by the tourism industry that hawaiians can no longer afford to live in their own home.
              Well, no, actually. It's not the tourists that cause that, it's the people who move here. Tourists just visit and then go home, so they have no affect whatsoever on housing problems.

a true testament to the self absorbment typical of you fuckin haoles.
              And WHAM you just went on my Ignore list. Your flagrant racism is inexcusable.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Originally posted by LikaNui
                Tourists just visit and then go home, so they have no affect whatsoever on housing problems.
                weeeellll. I dunno bout dat.
                They visit, they go home, they come back and stay. Or they come here and invest, speculate, buy up, and go back home. Of the swarms of mainlanders moving here, many originate as tourons...

Comment

Umm, but…didn’t we start losing what was ours when plantation days began? I mean, after that was said and done didn’t the immigrants “make house” after? Then, their families come down and move in.

We also musn't forget the US military who decides to retire out in HI. My father in-law falls in this category. Spent his last years in the navy at Pearl Harbor...retired and now living in Waipahu. I've already witnessed my Filipino father in-law help bring his brother and his family into the US from the Philippines (they're now living in Wahiawa).

The Asians make up the majority race in Hawaii (58%. Nearly 729,000 people in Hawai'i identified themselves as Asian or part-Asian. The population of Native Hawaiians and other Pacific Islanders is estimated at 282,500. info from: http://the.honoluluadvertiser.com/article/2004/Oct/01/ln/ln45a.html )

So, it really isn’t the haoles that are moving in but the rapid expansion of the asian population that are acquiring land in HI.

Land isn’t the only thing that’s hard to come buy…jobs are scarce too. The Hawaiians have to travel abroad to make a living.

Comment

Originally posted by Pikake
                    So, it really isn’t the haoles that are moving in but the rapid expansion of the asian population that are acquiring land in HI.

Land isn’t the only thing that’s hard to come buy…jobs are scarce too. The Hawaiians have to travel abroad to make a living.
                    .....Or pitch tent out on the beach (I've witnessed it with my own cousins growing up). Another thing, I've heard the saying..."Hawaiian Lands in Asians Hands" is too good to be true now.

Comment

Originally posted by kama'aina design
                      you fuckin haoles. www.kamaainadesign.com
                      aahhhh....the sweet sound of racism.....warms my heart
                      FutureNewsNetwork.com
                      Energy answers are already here.

Comment

There is an enourmous misunderstanding about the economics of housing in the State of Hawaii.

The politics of "no" virtually guarantee that housing prices will continue to rise in Hawaii. The politics of "no" has many different facets. My favorite is the people who show up at the public hearings to protest growth, and make their children sit quietly in the back of the room while they rant incoherently.

If you have children, or came from a family with children, then you are PRO-GROWTH by default. Either that, or your a raving lunatic hypocrite.

Funny how nobody ever protests at the maternity ward.
                        FutureNewsNetwork.com
                        Energy answers are already here.

Comment

i suggest looking into the suggestions made in A Modest Proposal by Johnathan Swift,

on a more serious note how can you blame abandonned cars, and rubbish on tourists I hardly doubt it's the tourist who are dropping the cars out there or littering, it's us the "locals" that are abandoning them insteead of doing the right thing and disposing of them properly

Also racism has got to be the poorest defense, I hate to play the same card but what percentage of haoles are abondoning their cars
                          808blogs.com- Start your own blog now, for free!
                          kazaru.808blogs.com - my blog!
                          http://kazaru.com - personal site DOWN ATM

Comment

Originally posted by timkona
                            There is an enourmous misunderstanding about the economics of housing in the State of Hawaii.

The politics of "no" virtually guarantee that housing prices will continue to rise in Hawaii. The politics of "no" has many different facets. My favorite is the people who show up at the public hearings to protest growth, and make their children sit quietly in the back of the room while they rant incoherently.

If you have children, or came from a family with children, then you are PRO-GROWTH by default. Either that, or your a raving lunatic hypocrite.

You really have a subjective view of the word "growth" don't you?

We don't live in a black and white world. The sooner you realize this, the better off you'll be.

Comment

Originally posted by timkona
                              There are lots of unwanted babies being born in Hawai'i, as in other parts of the world. The neat thing Hawai'i has going for it is the "hanai" system of relatives assuming responsibility for the care of children who cannot be cared for by their biological parents. The sad thing is sometimes the stress of raising a young child becomes too much for the caretaker, and you end up with cases of horrible child abuse (Hawai'i has seen its share of those cases
                              ). And you would not be pro-growth if you only had one child (that would be net zero growth because you wouldn't be replacing both parents).

Miulang
                              Last edited by Miulang; January 31, 2006, 07:30 PM.
                              "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Working...
                              X