Looking for Recipe: Garlic Boiled Peanuts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for Recipe: Garlic Boiled Peanuts

Please post if you do. I have failed to duplicate the chinatown ones. Way off on the taste and you know the people wont tell you.

Thanks in advance!

My Uncle just told me: Soak the raw peanuts in water, salt and garlic overnight, longer the better. Then boil. but he failed to answer how long and do I need to cut up the garlic? and how much garlic to use.

or is it just an ancient chinese secret?

Re: Looking for Recipe: Garlic Boiled Peanuts

Speedtek: I found the following "recipe" for salted boiled peanuts in "Uncle Phaedrus Consulting Detective". As far as how much garlic to use, it would depend on how garlicky you wanted the shells to taste: a couple of cloves of garlic chopped up and added to the brine would probably give you the garlic taste, but if you want to keep the vampires away, go for a whole head of garlic chopped up. The prep time also depends on whether you use fresh raw peanuts or dried shelled ones. Use Hawaiian or kosher salt (coarse salt)

Miulang

Boiled Green Freshly Harvested In Shell Peanuts
    Wash in shell peanuts thoroughly in cool water. Place the peanuts in a suitable sauce pan and cover with a medium brine (10 ounces salt to one gallon of water). Boil covered for 45 minutes or until the kernels are tender. Taste test for preferred saltiness. (Allow peanuts to sit in brine to increase saltiness; drain as soon as desired degree of saltiness is achieved.) The peanuts are ready for shelling and eating immediately or they may be held in refrigerator for as long as five days.

Boiled Peanuts (Using Dried Raw Shelled Peanuts)
    Put 1 pound raw shelled peanuts in a 3 quart crock pot. Fill pot with water. Allow peanuts to soak 8 hours or overnight. Peanuts will absorb a lot of the water making it necessary to add water until the pot if filled. Add salt to taste*.

Cook peanuts on low for 8 hours and then on high for 1-1/2 hours or medium for 4 1/2 hours. Drain.
    *(Try 4 to 5 tablespoons of salt; taste toward end of cooking time. Add more salt if taste dictates and allow to cook for about 1 hour more.)
    "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

For an easy to follow recipe go to:

http://kalaniosullivan.com/General/Opinion-k2a.htm
      The star anise is the key to this recipe, I use a handful because it gives the peanuts a wonderful taste. Be sure to keep testing for firmness or softness to yuor liking. Be sure to let peanuts soak after boiling to allow it to absorb the salt and anise or garlic'

For the garlic peanuts I would leave out the star anise and add the garlic instead.

Comment

Sorry the link I posted doesn't work...let me check it out again.

Comment

Here is the recipe:

2lb. Raw Peanuts
          2tbs Hawaiian Salt
          1ea. Bhat Gok(Star Anise)

Soak peanuts in water overnight then wash and rinse.
          Put peanuts into pot and add water to about an inch or to from the top while holding the peanuts down with the palm of your hand. Add salt and anise, bring to a boil and check for doneness(firm or soft) Let stand for about an hour.
          I usually add more salt and anise to make it more flavorful.
          I would think that by eliminating the anise and adding the garlic instead would be the way to make garlic boiled peanuts.
          Place in a ziploc bag and refrigerate leaving the top open a little and it will keep for about five days.

Comment

Thanks for the info everyone.

This is what we ended up with.

We let the peanuts soak in water for 2 hours. Kept them down with a heavy plate.
            Then we washed them. Added water, 1 full garlic clove chopped in half. A few tablespoons of garlic powder 3 I think. 2 spoons of salt (I think 1 tablespoon worth, low salt family) let soak over 8 hours. then brought the brew to a boil. then left on medium for 4 hours. drained and ate them hot!
            they were good but needed more garlic! So next time I will throw in another clove.

Where do you but the anise at? Never heard of it. I am cooking challenged.

Comment

Originally posted by speedtek
              Where do you but the anise at? Never heard of it. I am cooking challenged.
              Star anise (looks like a star---duh) is the licorish-y taste in Chinese 5-spice powder. You should be able to find dried whole star anise in any market in Hawai'i. If you can't find it, look for Chinese 5-spice powder. That would also work.

Miulang
              "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Perhaps they use Garlic Powder? Not fresh Garlic Cloves. Just a thought that no one brought up yet.

Regarding simple local 'kine Boiled Peanuts (my favorite!)...
                Originally posted by D'Alani
                Here is the recipe:
                2lb. Raw Peanuts
                2tbs Hawaiian Salt
                1ea. Bhat Gok(Star Anise)
                I'm gonna' try your recipe. Sounds good. Most important, it sounds like you've actually made it yourself.

Anyone remember Bob's Peanuts in Farmer's Market? He had the perfect balance of tenderness and flavor. Not too dry, not too soggy, not too salty... juss' right, eh! Tropic Fish & Vegetable Market next door makes it too dry. Probably for sake of shelf life. But I no like.

Ruger Market (near KCC) Boiled Peanuts used to be good too. Don't know about now.
                sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Working...
                X