X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Annoying someone over the 'net is now against the law

Check it out:

http://news.com.com/Create+an+e-anno...%201&subj=news

Annoying someone via the Internet is now a federal crime.

It's no joke. Last Thursday, President Bush signed into law a prohibition on posting annoying Web messages or sending annoying e-mail messages without disclosing your true identity.

In other words, it's OK to flame someone on a mailing list or in a blog as long as you do it under your real name. Thank Congress for small favors, I guess.

This ridiculous prohibition, which would likely imperil much of Usenet, is buried in the so-called Violence Against Women and Department of Justice Reauthorization Act. Criminal penalties include stiff fines and two years in prison.

Re: Annoying someone over the 'net is now against the law

hey. whoever you are, that was an annoying thing to post!

Comment

Oh, poop. They just want to find new ways to get my photo up in the Post Office, don't they? Well, here goes nothing...

"George Bush stinks, and my name is Dan Quayle."

Comment

Originally posted by kimo55
        hey. whoever you are, that was an annoying thing to post!

BWAHAHAH!!!!

Nice try, but I'm not anonymous here on the HT boards, my real name is on a thread somewhere's about.

I don't count, nothin in the law says I HAVE to help anyone locate it.

so there neener-neener-neeners! >;-}p~~~~

Comment

Seriously though if you read the thing:

http://www4.law.cornell.edu/uscode/h...3----000-.html

It's more of an imposed morality thing that can be used to stifle the the protections of the first amendment on the net. Consider this part of it in section (d):

any comment, request, suggestion, proposal, image, or other communication that, in context, depicts or describes, in terms patently offensive as measured by contemporary community standards, sexual or excretory activities or organs, regardless of whether the user of such service placed the call or initiated the communication
          I can see it being used to shut down sites/blogs that are critical towards the government (sides don't matter) just because the site owner cussed out in a blog or site announcement whoever happened to be in charge if they don't have an adult pass set up.

It's for the protection of THE CHEEELDREN after all.

Comment

K-den. Where are we suppose to get an "adult" pass for Blogs, Forums, etc. I betta hurry before they shut down my Blog and the Toy section!

Auntie Lynn

note: Auntie Pupule.com will cease till further notice. No new stories till this clears up. I no like go Kalaboose! I running for Governor.
            Last edited by 1stwahine; January 10, 2006, 08:13 AM.
            Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
            Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Originally posted by 1stwahine
              K-den. Where are we suppose to get an "adult" pass for Blogs, Forums, etc. I betta hurry before they shut down my Blog and the Toy section!

Auntie Lynn

note: Auntie Pupule.com will cease till further notice. No new stories till this clears up. I no like go Kalaboose! I running for Governor.
              Nah..don't stop, just try not to cuss in english till it's figured out...or till you win.

Comment

Originally posted by Peshkwe
                Nah..don't stop, just try not to cuss in english till it's figured out...or till you win.
                Peshkwe, These kind of things...I must take serious now. I will be checking my Blog out for a good housekeeping. Does it count after a certain day or does the former count also? It can be easily remedied by just deleting the whole shabang and keeping the original for personal records to remember when I'm old and grey.

A sad day, it is.

Auntie Lynn
                Last edited by 1stwahine; January 10, 2006, 09:56 AM.

Comment

Lawyers and privacy experts have come out of the woodwork to debate the story over at Boing Boing:

http://www.boingboing.net/2006/01/09...ne_anonym.html

Comment

Originally posted by Tiabla
                    Lawyers and privacy experts have come out of the woodwork to debate the story over at Boing Boing:

http://www.boingboing.net/2006/01/09...ne_anonym.html
                    Mahalo, Peshkwe for bringing this up.

Mahalo, Tiabla for the LINK.

I don't or I hope I don't "annoy" people.

I do use my "real" name as often as I can.

I do like to think I bring smiles, laughter, hope and strength for those who read my stories. I also pray that there's that one person out there that I have or will make a difference in their life because of what I have personally gone through.

Auntie Lynn

My Blog stays the same!

Comment

If you do get arrested and the judge ask you if you want to make a statement before he decides on his/her verdict, you can say "it was nice annoying you".
                      Whoa, Mista Buss Driva, eh, you can stop the buss o wat?

Comment

Working...
                      X