fern forest vacation property/puna land

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• fern forest vacation property/puna land

I have several friends who have bought and/or are going to buy 3 acre lots in fern forest vac. properties. The prices seem reasonable but being from MI. (as they are) I wonder is it worth it? Does anyone know anyone or live in that sub? Is a zone 3 lava zone a reasonable place to retire? I'm thinking that they are considering it a good investment. I used to live in Oahu--loved it.

Re: fern forest vacation property/puna land

Originally posted by markthansen@hotmail.com
    I have several friends who have bought and/or are going to buy 3 acre lots in fern forest vac. properties. The prices seem reasonable but being from MI. (as they are) I wonder is it worth it? Does anyone know anyone or live in that sub? Is a zone 3 lava zone a reasonable place to retire? I'm thinking that they are considering it a good investment. I used to live in Oahu--loved it.
    If they haven't seen the properties... I wouldn't do it.

ALL of the properties are on Catchment water (catch your own rainwater).

It could be a good investment.... However, you didn't mention how much they paid for their properties.

My good friend got 2 acres in Fern Acres in 1994 for just exactly 10,000 per Acre.
    It's now valued at over 100,000 for both lots (they have built a house on it)

Also, I don't think residents there have access to High speed internet Access just yet.

I know about 7-8 years ago...many residents still shared "Party" lines with other residents in there subplots.

I don't really think you have much to worry about the Lava factor... (at least not in the near future.... however, it is Hawaii...and the entire islands were built on Lava so if it happened once... I'm sure it could presumably happen again....

However, it is a good 30 - 40 miles from any current Lava Flow (kalapana area)

Hope this helps...

Also, they have "Green Harvest" flying Helicopters over your houses every few days looking for Pakalolo Patches (Marijuana)....and some of those helicopters fly so low...that it seems like they are practically infringing on your privacy.

Comment

Thank you for your reply.The pending sale is $28,000 for a three acre lot towards the very back/end of the sub near the state land. The one recently purchased is right in the beginning for $36,000 bought around 5 months ago...i see that the listings are around $44k to$100k. I'm concerned that that back lot might be too far down the thin gravely road to appreciate.

Comment

visiting hilo/fern forest vacation properties

Going to come into hilo for the day and check out my friend's recent purchase of a 3 acre lot in fern forest vacation properties. He wants me to buy next to him. I'm hesitant simply because i don't know what land values are around that area. He payed $36, 000 for 3 acres which seems like a bargain. Is there a coffee shop/restaraunt/bar that i can hang out and talk to locals/residents about the area? If you know anything about fern forest area let me know. mahalo, mark

Comment

im an appraiser on big island....if $36,000 seems like a bargain to you, then you should have seen it when it was $11,000 just 4 years ago.
          FutureNewsNetwork.com
          Energy answers are already here.

Comment

Working...
          X