Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Parents today...

You gotta wonder where some parents learned how to be parents:

"...A woman got a 30-day jail sentence for leaving her three young children home alone for several hours [until after midnight! ], while she and her boyfriend attended a videotaping of "The Jerry Springer Show."

Shannon Cook, 25, pleaded guilty earlier this week to misdemeanor child endangerment. She also was placed on probation for a year...."

To top it all off, her kids were shipped off to foster homes. It's kinda sad to think there are parents who are neglecting children who have no problems hatching kids, when there are so many loving, qualified couples who have to spend thousands of dollars on infertility treatments to have children.

Miulang
    "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Re: Parents today...

...I didn't even know they still had The Jerry Springer Show.
    myspace | facebook | puppy moonwalk

Comment

Something I've noticed about a lot of parents lately is....

That when they visit a friends place bringing their child(ren) with them, that they don't have any toys or books or anything to entertain the child(ren). The parents brought the essentuals, but if the friend's home doesn't normally have children residing there, what's the kid to do? If the child is well behaved he/she won't get into (much) trouble, but will be bored. If not well behaved, then they're into everything they shouldn't be and getting yelled at. Bummer. When my daughter was small I always had something with us for her to do along with being involved in the event. Just something I've noticed a few times lately.
      Life is either an adventure... or you're not doing it right!!!

Comment

That's why we don't visit friends too much but rather invite them over. And yeah we got plenty of DVD's and video games to keep the kids happy while the adults talk story.
        Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Instead of starting a new thread, I think my post would would fit rather nicely here.

My grandson turned a year old last month. My daughter and son-inlaw decides to wean him off from the bottle. I forget when I did the same for my three children.

Everything is fine. Antonio seems strong and understands that he needs to drink his milk and juice from the training cup from now on. Oh! Oh! Wrong! He gets fussy and cries ~ my heart can't take it. I gave in.

I hurriedly get a bottle that I stashed. I give him. Daughter walks in ~ Antonio and I get caught in the act. Milk is already gone. heheheh

Daughter is fuming. Who wrong?

What is the age to wean nowdays? Am I suppose to let my grandson suffer? I think not!

Your thoughts on this sad and horrible situation that I find myself in.

Gramma Lynn

Parents today...mean? hahahaha
          Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
          Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

One year old is okay on the bottle. By age 2 you really should consider giving him a sippy cup or similar.

You can actually bypass the sippy cup and go directly to sipping out of a cup by giving your grandchild small sips of water. Be aware though that if they take large sips they will spit it out and think it's fun (it's just a phase).

My youngest is just over 2-years old and I don't have a problem with him using a bottle. Just don't put him to sleep with one as the tooth decay issue will arise. Oh and since I've mentioned teeth, at 2 is a good time to teach the child how to brush their teeth.

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe
              One year old is okay on the bottle. By age 2 you really should consider giving him a sippy cup or similar.

You can actually bypass the sippy cup and go directly to sipping out of a cup by giving your grandchild small sips of water. Be aware though that if they take large sips they will spit it out and think it's fun (it's just a phase).

My youngest is just over 2-years old and I don't have a problem with him using a bottle. Just don't put him to sleep with one as the tooth decay issue will arise. Oh and since I've mentioned teeth, at 2 is a good time to teach the child how to brush their teeth.
              Thank you Craig! That's exactly what I thought too. Teaching a one year old is too young in my books. I know I should butt out in how they intend to raise Antonio...however, I am the one watching him Full time, M-F from 7:00 a.m. - 5:30 p.m. sometimes a bit later. Most weekends too. Of course for LOVE!

I believe I have a right in this.

Autnie Lynn

Comment

I think that the problem with parents today is that if they have sons they are making them to wimpy. The boys nowdays are all taught to be "sensitive", so sensitive that the girls are stronger than them. they are taught that it's ok to cry and show weakness.
                Sure , nobody wants a bully ... but all my son does play video games and I have more(playground) battle scars on my hand than he has on his whole body. I am speaking of kids who never had a stub toe or bloody nose or skinned knee by age 12.
                Listen to KEITH AND THE GIRLsigpic

Stupid people come in all flavors-buzz1941
                Flickr

Comment

There's nothing wrong to having sensitive boys. I think this world could use a less amount of testosterone governing the playgrounds anyway.

My dad was an athlete and he was bent on making me one too so as I grew up he made me play everything he did from basketball to baseball. I hated going to practice and the games not because I hated the game but because my dad forced me to engage in sporting activity. I sucked in baseball but excelled in basketball (taking the district champs for our age level).

My dad never came to the practices or the games to see me play ball and it wasn't until just a couple of weeks ago, some 34-years later when my dad and I were talking about sports that I told him, "By the way Dad, remember back in 1972 when I played for the YMCA that we took the district championship?"

He looked surprized and when he asked how come he didn't know? I told him I took my trophy and tossed it in the garbage because I never wanted to be reminded about what that trophy represented. To this day I never display any of my achievements in life. Even my ribbons from my military days.

So if your kid is a sensitive one you shouldn't try to cover that up. Being sensitive is a good thing in a person. It makes you compassionate to the needs of others instead of arrogant or ignorant. Let the child be and encourage the good within them.

Comment

Craig, My hats off to you. So much wise words in various topics. This one too. My only son from birth was "destined" to be like his father...so they said. A Professional Boxing Champion. I didn't have it. No how, no way.

He became what he wanted. He pursued his own dreams in Life and did well. He too has earned many trophys, medal, ribbons and certificates that fill my Hale. He has his own place of residence -- none are displayed there. I have his Medal which was given to him upon his return from Iraq. He goes about his bussiness doing what he loves most without having any fanfare.

My son ~ the Hero is a simple, caring and sensitive man. My son ~ the Hero still can kick BUTT! My son ~ the Hero is a MAN!

Auntie Lynn

btw: I lost. No bottles for Antonio.
                    Last edited by 1stwahine; February 8, 2006, 12:13 PM.

Comment

I didn't wean my eldest off until 2 and she had milk teeth (eeek! silver front teeth that made me look like a negligent mother!) By the time I had the other kids, I was sure to wean them right around their first birthday. Yes, there was more cuddle time/back patting to get them to sleep, but they at least had their own pearly whites when they attended preschool!

pax

Comment

My 2-year old still uses the bottle but doesn't have milk teeth. After six of them and all with excellent teeth I can attest that there isn't a problem with a toddler still using a bottle.

Comment

My 2-year old still uses the bottle but doesn't have milk teeth. After six of them and all with excellent teeth I can attest that there isn't a problem with a toddler still using a bottle.

that runs counter to the advice of my ped dentist. However, genetics plays a stronger role than we realize (although keep using that floridated toothypaste and floss regularly!) and your kids might have just been blessed with good genes!

Da lucky buggahs!

pax

Comment

What did you put in the bottle? I don't put milk in my 2-year old's bottle. There are formulas for toddlers ages 1-2. It's mostly a soy-based formula enriched with vitamins and other nutrients.

He eats solid food for breakfast, lunch and dinner. The bottle is more of a pacifier when we are on extended drives in the car (on the Big Island that can mean everyday) or after his harrowing experiences taking a bath. Funny though he loves sitting in that 3-gallon bucket of cold water but he hates a nice warm shower with daddy.

Comment

What did you put in the bottle? I don't put milk in my 2-year old's bottle. There are formulas for toddlers ages 1-2. It's mostly a soy-based formula enriched with vitamins and other nutrients.

He eats solid food for breakfast, lunch and dinner. The bottle is more of a pacifier when we are on extended drives in the car (on the Big Island that can mean everyday) or after his harrowing experiences taking a bath. Funny though he loves sitting in that 3-gallon bucket of cold water but he hates a nice warm shower with daddy.
                              His pediatrician took him off Formula last month and said to start on milk. Hence, the weaning. I should go whack whack the "sucker!"

Antonio is asleep. We had a BIG LUNCH ~ his opu is satisfied for now. He eats everything and anything we eat. He enjoys raw tomato, carrots, & fruits! Oh! Mashed potatoe and gravy is his favorite!!! Squid Lu'au, Beef Stew, Chicken Lu'au, Chicken Longrice, Chicken Papaya, etc. etc. etc. the kid can eat!

...but he still misses his bottle!

Auntie Lynn
                              Last edited by 1stwahine; February 8, 2006, 12:14 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X