Moving to Oahu with a family.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Moving to Oahu with a family.

Just wondering if anyone has any advice or experience concerning moving to Oahu with a family. I am being considered for a job and want to explore all aspects of life in Oahu, so I can make a decision that is based on the realities of life in Hawaii and is the best for my family. I am probably not the usual mainlander who 'dreams' of island life, and moves without a job or place to live lined up. If I move, everything would have to be in place to provide for my family. I would be thankful for any suggestions or insight that can be provided.

Re: Moving to Oahu with a family.

I left you a private message.
    Support Lung Cancer Research

Comment

Welcome to HT, Wisconsin.
      My only words of advice to you are to think hard about what it would mean to uproot your kids, particularly if they are teenagers. And then think about why you want to move to Hawai'i after reading some of the threads on this forum.

Is the job you're considering going to pay you what you make today in Wisconsin? If so, and if you get offered that job, go for it. Most jobs in Hawai'i pay about 20% LESS than what you could make on the Mainland, and the cost of living is way higher for housing and food and just about everything else in Hawai'i.

If you were unattached and without the responsibilities that you have with family, making that move to Oahu would be easy; it's the family part that'll make it tougher.

Good luck with your decision,
      Miulang
      "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

I left you a private message as well.

Sorry, it is rather lengthy.

Comment

lookit us yea .... all da PM's........ get good points an bad about doing a move like you are thinking, especially since you have your families best interest in mind
          Support Lung Cancer Research

Comment

Thanks for the responses! It would be a huge move in all areas of my life. I have read a lot about the different Pacific Islands and have visited/worked in Hawaii on four occasions. I have always thought about living someplace in the Pacific, but since children/family it kind of seemed far fetched. This job opened up and here I am, considering a move to Hawaii with young children. Am I crazy? I have heard a lot of the cons, (drugs, schools, high costs, outsider-ism, etc...) and the pros (paradise, peaceful, melting pot of cultures, etc...), and need to make decision based on facts. Right now, I am certainly on the fence.

Any advice or opinions are appreciated.

Comment

Originally posted by Wisconsin
              [...]Any advice or opinions are appreciated.
              In addition to Hawaii Threads, you might also check the archives of the newsgroup, soc.culture.hawaii. Moving to Hawaii with a family has been discussed quite a bit over the years. That can be done easily via Google groups. If I'm not mistaken, right now is the most expensive it's ever been to live in Hawaii. Well, judging from the increases in my unchanged overhead, it is!

Comment

Working...
              X