puna--still a real estate boom?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• puna--still a real estate boom?

Several friends are considering vacant lots/land in Puna; fern forest, eden roc etc. They profess that it is the last reasonably priced Hawaii land around. Is that market still on the upswing? Will the infrastructure (roads, hospitals, commerce) catch up with the other Islands? mahalo, mark

Re: puna--still a real estate boom?

Originally posted by markthansen@hotmail.com
    Several friends are considering vacant lots/land in Puna; fern forest, eden roc etc. They profess that it is the last reasonably priced Hawaii land around. Is that market still on the upswing? Will the infrastructure (roads, hospitals, commerce) catch up with the other Islands? mahalo, mark
    I doubt the infrastructure WILL EVER catch up to the other islands... and this is
    by choice of the people and locals that live there... (my family) Most of the area is on Catchment Water systems (meaning they catch rain water to use) and many places still are not on the Power Grid so there is no electricity.

This may explain why the prices may seem reasonable to someone on the mainland looking at prices there compared to other parts of Hawaii.

Also, this is an area of Hawaii... that if you call 911... the police arrive about 40 minutes to an hour later.

I don't want to say that all the people that have moved there are like this... however, the people from the mainland that have moved into the area in the last 20 years... tend to be more of the "Hippy/Vegetarian" style... and a lot tend to not feel the need to use deodorant and/or use undergarments.

Comment

Some really nice houses going up along the waterfront in Kapoho, including Harry Kim's house. Still a hodgepodge, but definitely an up and coming area still reasonable.

Comment

I think the realestate prices in Puna are coming down. Lots in HPP were going for 80K a few months ago but I've heard sellers are having a hard time selling at 60K now.

Comment

It is true that some Puna residents would like to keep Puna the way it is - rural. But we should not forget that the number of residents in Puna has increased by over 20,000 over the last 20 years. Those are not just vegetarian hippies. If you see some of the houses popping up in the more upscale subdivisions, then you know that those people are no hippies. Puna has big potential for a popular residential area, and not just because it is so close to Hilo. I'm sure that Puna will catch up to the other island - but it might take a while. It's hard to afford housing on the other island and Puna will be a great refuge for those who want to stay in hawaii, but don't want to spend an arm and a leg for it. BTW not just hippies live off grid!

michael
          www.PunaGuide.com

Comment

Originally posted by vindona
            It is true that some Puna residents would like to keep Puna the way it is - rural. BTW not just hippies live off grid!
            LOL I don't know about that! If you want to live out an episode of LOST just go to Puna

Comment

Actually before I went to Puna for the first time, I had exactly the same feeling. I was expecting a Lost episode. But, idvfilms, I was surprised when I got there how beautiful it was and how much development is going on there and also how much more developed it was than I thought.
              I mean I live in Kailua (Oahu) and even though it is supposed to be very modern - we have a sewer system that spills after every heavy rain and we loose power quite frequently too.
              And in Puna you don't have to sit in your neighbors lap or have to listen what he watches on TV.
              I feel that Puna prices were way too expensive the last few years, with a lot of scammers making a lot of money. Right now it looks like the market will regulate itself. But the prices are what people want to pay - my house in Kailua was 370K just 2 years ago - now it's more like 640K. Is that fair? No. But that's just how the market is. That's why i started looking on the Big Island.
              Puna remains still a great opportunity to buy.

michael
              www.PunaGuide.com

Comment

Working...
              X