Hoku Award controversy?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hoku Award controversy?

Anyone been following what's got people stirred up, regarding this year's Hokus? Apparently, HARA's Board of Directors just established a new policy that prevents performers who are not residents of the State of Hawai`i from being eligible for the Awards.

They recently rejected the latest CD by Manny K. Fernandez (who is a Hawaiian musician, of Hawaiian blood and who performed in the Islands most of his life, but chose to retire to Aloha, Oregon) from "Album of the Year" and "Male Vocalist of the Year" consideration, due to this rule. There's a LOT of buzz going on about this new requirement.

I'd like to hear what people think - I may write a story about it for the Northwest Hawai`i Times.

Re: Hoku Award controversy?

Originally posted by Leo Lakio
    I may write a story about it for the Northwest Hawai`i Times.
    i commandeth you to do it-eth.
    we will look for it.
    Last edited by kimo55; February 7, 2006, 11:49 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by kimo55
      i commaneth you to do it-eth.
      "Commaneth"? You, want, me, to, like, overuse, commas? Glad, to.

Comment

duuh duuuh duh!
        cumanduuuh eth. like that. yeth.

Comment

One thing I've learned already is that the afore-mentioned regulation has always been in place, but HARA has chosen to require proof of residency.
          This applies only to the General, Technical & Adjudicated categories. In the Genre categories, non-residents can be eligible if the album is recorded or widely distributed in Hawai`i.

Comment

Anyone been following what's got people stirred up, regarding this year's Hokus?
            Yessir. It caused a bit of a flurry this morning in the quiet of late alt.music.hawaiian newsgroup.

Comment

This applies only to the General, Technical & Adjudicated categories.
              Uncle Gregg, can you please explain in layman's terms what those categories entail? Without using too many commas?

Comment

General categories are the catch-alls, like Album, Male or Female Vocalist, Group of the year - the specific type of music is not relevant (could be `olelo Hawai`i, ki ho`alu, Jawaiian, religious, whatevahs.)

Technical are like Engineer, Art Director, generally non-performance categories.

Adjudicated are ones chosen by special committees of experts, like Haku Mele.

The Genre ones are self-explanatory, like Island Contemporary, Jazz, etc.

Comment

General categories are the catch-alls, like Album, Male or Female Vocalist, Group of the year - the specific type of music is not relevant (could be `olelo Hawai`i, ki ho`alu, Jawaiian, religious, whatevahs.)

Technical are like Engineer, Art Director, generally non-performance categories.

Adjudicated are ones chosen by special committees of experts, like Haku Mele.

The Genre ones are self-explanatory, like Island Contemporary, Jazz, etc.
                  Mahalo for that explanation.

So, in other words, those categories which the more old-style Hawaiian-music-hearted musician who has been playing, performing and composing Hawaiian music most all of his or her life...those categories that they would most want to try and aspire to and excel in...are to be denied them simply because they no longer reside on Hawaiian soil and are now to be treated like disowned stepchildren, although through the benevolence of HARA will still be allowed to participate in the Na Hoku Hanohano Awards competition albeit in the lesser-Hawaiian genre-type music category?

Sure smells hauna to me. Look at all the people who unfortunately have to move away from the 'aina because they simply don't have the financial or whatever means to maintain a comfortable living there anymore. They have to move away in order to survive, and then to add to that, those who perform Hawaiian music are further demoralized by HARA's new policy of exclusion, which really, in the end, amounts to a form of discrimination.

I think that HARA needs to rethink their stance and amend their policy for the good of all Hawaiian music musicians and performers -- no matter where they live.
                  Last edited by lurkah; February 7, 2006, 01:29 PM.

Comment

That's exactly the point that many people in the discussion are taking, while others take the side that this has been in the rules from the beginning - it's only controversial now, because it's actually being enforced.

Another aspect of the discussion is how to get changes through - do you have to be a part of HARA to be heard, or will pressure from outside the organization have any value?

I'm trying to avoid expressing an opinion publicly, as I (1) may write a story about it, and (2) am a voting member of HARA. For the sake of (1), I'm more interested in stimulating discussion, and hearing all the viewpoints.

Comment

I may write a story about it
                      So much for "may" - it'll be in the March issue (not available online until the first of April, however.)

Comment

One thing I've learned already is that the afore-mentioned regulation has always been in place, but HARA has chosen to require proof of residency.
                        This applies only to the General, Technical & Adjudicated categories. In the Genre categories, non-residents can be eligible if the album is recorded or widely distributed in Hawai`i.
                        Well, it's called the HAWAII Academy of Recording Arts for a reason. The exception in the Genre category seems more than fair, too.

Live on the mainland and want recognition for your album? Enter it in the Hawaiian category at the Grammys. Leave the Hokus for the people of Hawaii.

Comment

Originally posted by Palolo Joe
                          Well, it's called the HAWAII Academy of Recording Arts for a reason. The exception in the Genre category seems more than fair, too.

Live on the mainland and want recognition for your album? Enter it in the Hawaiian category at the Grammys. Leave the Hokus for the people of Hawaii.
                          I agree. I see the purpose of HARA is to keep the music close to the source--Hawaii, rather than having it "outsourced" to the mainland. How can one maintain the essence of Hawaiian music if the performers live hundreds of miles away from the culture? True, Manny Fernandez is a local/Kanaka performer, and HARA's decision might seem trivial given his resume, but imo HARA is setting a baseline--Hawai'i residency--and I can't really fault them for that.

The reality is that we *chose* to leave Hawaii. Yeah, we can all recite the litany of reasons why we left, but just as many people choose to remain in Hawaii and deal with the high cost of living, limited professional opportunities, etc.

Also, as Local expats, we all know the deal: you leave and you will forever be branded a mainlander. You will have to work that much harder to convince people back home that you are still "local"--albeit with your newfangled "haole" accent, new experiences, behaviors, etc. And yet, look at how many of us are reluctanct to truly discard our Hawaii identity?

Bottom line: this shouldn't surprise anyone. If any local expat feels slighted, go back home, re-assimilate and pretend you never lived on the mainland. I've accepted it; my family has accepted it. I'm just realistic about all this.

Comment

So much for "may" - it'll be in the March issue (not available online until the first of April, however.)
                            It's available online now at http://www.northwesthawaiitimes.com/PNWNewsmar06.htm#na

Comment

Decent effort... the quote from Alan Yamamoto says it all:

"The purpose of the awards are to honor Hawaii's recording industry and not specifically Hawaiian music."

Not a big fan of the way you ended the article, however. As someone who lives on the mainland, how do you know that "many of (HARA's members) feel distanced from the organization’s operations and decisions"?

I've heard differently from Hawaii-based HARA members. Just had a conversation about this with a few insiders at Honey's a while back.

Also:

"If HARA addresses these issues, it may lead to some changes in the Awards. If HARA ignores member concerns, that too could have a noticeable effect on the Academy’s future."

Of course, if HARA decides to change the rules that have been in effect since the organization's inception, it would "lead to some changes." And I'm still a little wary of these "member concerns"... sounds like a minority of mainland-based members/artists who should be focusing on the Grammys instead.

And don't you think you should have put a disclaimer somewhere that said you're a voting member of HARA yourself?

Comment

Working...
                              X