hawaii drivers license

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• hawaii drivers license

i'll be moving soon to hawaii and was wondering about getting a hawaii drivers license.i just renewed my states license which is good for several years and is it necessary to get a hawaii one for anything like rentals,banks,etc.?also read i would have to take the written test and its been many years since i took one as a teen and is there any online site which would have the manual?to buy a car is my states license good enough?mahimahilo!

Re: hawaii drivers license

"Mahimahilo"?

Comment

Originally posted by Glen Miyashiro
      "Mahimahilo"?
      Doesn't that taste best when it's lightly sauteed in butter and served over a bed of pilaf?

Miulang
      "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

But to answer your questions...

Yes, having a Hawaii drivers license helps to establish your in-state residency, which can be useful.

No, you don't have to get one until your old one expires.

See http://www.co.honolulu.hi.us/csd/vehicle/index.htm for more information.

Comment

having fun with mahimahi ,the delicious dolphin-the fish not the mammal,and mahalo.
          thanks for the link but already had it but it doesn't say whether a hawaii license is necessary for things like rental applications,opening bank accounts,
          buying cars,etc.
          do know that kamaaina discounts would require them at least from what i read in so you want to live in hawaii.
          merci buckets!

Comment

Originally posted by aaa111
            having fun with mahimahi ,the delicious dolphin-the fish not the mammal,and mahalo.
            thanks for the link but already had it but it doesn't say whether a hawaii license is necessary for things like rental applications
            Nope. We have laws against housing discrimination.

opening bank accounts
            Nope.

buying cars,etc.
            Nope.

do know that kamaaina discounts would require them at least from what i read in so you want to live in hawaii.
            Yup.

merci buckets!
            Don't touch my mustache.

Comment

I think you need some sort of local ID if you're planning to be more than just a tourist in Hawai'i (i.e., living there for more than 6 months). Might be difficult to cash checks, etc. without a valid license. Alternatively, you could probably just get a Hawai'i ID (not a driver's license) to use temporarily for things like check cashing. Eventually, though, you'd have to get a Hawai'i driver's license if you plan to live there permanently. Check also to see if the state you currently have your driver's license from has reciprocity with Hawai'i. If it does, it could spare you having to take the driving part of the licensing test.

Miulang
              "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Just keep your out-of-state driver's license and get a Hawai'i State ID card.

http://www.state.hi.us/hcjdc/sid.htm
                Ā Ē Ī Ō Ū ā ē ī ō ū -- Just a little something to "cut and paste."

Comment

thanks!will also check my state about the reciprocity thing.
                  found this link which includes a online drivers manual.

http://www.hawaii.gov/dot/highways/hwy-v/mvso.htm

muchas grassyas!

Comment

I've lived here for 3 1/2 years with only my Colorado driver's license and I've never had a problem. For Kamaaina discounts, it's sufficient for me to show a personal check (reflecting my local address and local bank) or car registration.

I have friends from the mainland who still have licenses from other states even though they've lived here for several (in one case almost 10) years.

There's no reason not to get a Hawaii driver's license, but I've just been lazy about taking time off from work to drive over to Honolulu to get a license when I have a perfectly good one that doesn't expire for another 5 years. Besides, I like the picture on my Colorado license!

Comment

Cool...looks like we have another smarta$$ amongst us! Of course, it takes one to know one so, aaa111, you should fit right in!

There are several 'snowbirds' who own in my condo building and they have cars which they cover when they migrate back to the mainland. While I never tried buying a car with an out of state driver's license, it appears to me that it isn't a problem. Come to think of it...I never bought anything with an out of state license. I was so thrilled to move here that I applied for my HDL the very next day!

Comment

When I bought my car the seller and I went to the county restration place, filled out and signed all of the papers they gave us. I used my Texas driver's licence for Id and there was no problem. Walked out of the place with a new title in my name. In Texas that would have been mailed to me after about 6-8 weeks! A friend got a ID and there was a lot of paperwork required. Birth certs., divorce decrees and a lot of stuff. Funny thing is her husband was a Brit and he only needed his passport. Go figure. Buying a home or condo, you just need money and pass the credit check, unless paying cash, then just money. Bank account - any ID and your SS#. Plenty of snowbirds, so rental apps should be no problem either.
                        Blog Of Hawaii
                        High Definition Blog

Comment

Working...
                        X