Puerto Rican Immigration To Hawaii

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Puerto Rican Immigration To Hawaii

Hello everyone. I am a Puerto Rican who has traveled extensively while in the military. The only times I have been to Hawaii was enroute to and from Guam and to and from Vietnam. I am sorry I was never able to spend any quality time with Hawaiians. My grandparents immigrtated to Hawaii in the 1900's. Once they left Puerto Rico they were never heard from again. I have always wondered whether they arrived in Hawaii. They left their daughter in San Sebastian, PR. Their daughter was my mother. Is there any way to determine whether they ever arrived in Hawaii? Did they have other children? Do I have family in Hawaii I never even heard of? These are the questions that constantly concern me. Can anyone suggest a way for me to determine answers to these questions?

Re: Puerto Rican Immigration To Hawaii

Originally posted by Jomundo_d
    Hello everyone. I am a Puerto Rican who has traveled extensively while in the military. The only times I have been to Hawaii was enroute to and from Guam and to and from Vietnam. I am sorry I was never able to spend any quality time with Hawaiians. My grandparents immigrtated to Hawaii in the 1900's. Once they left Puerto Rico they were never heard from again. I have always wondered whether they arrived in Hawaii. They left their daughter in San Sebastian, PR. Their daughter was my mother. Is there any way to determine whether they ever arrived in Hawaii? Did they have other children? Do I have family in Hawaii I never even heard of? These are the questions that constantly concern me. Can anyone suggest a way for me to determine answers to these questions?
    Aloha Jomundo! I've been searching the threads. I know there was some information that Tita Miulang found in regards to what you are may be looking for. However I could not find it.

I have a cousin who was past President of the Hawai'i Potorican Association. He now lives in Kona. I will try to find his number and call him to ask how you may find out information on your grandparents. There is a way.

Please check back in a few days. I will try my best. In the mean time I will search on HT. Maybe Tita Miulang will see this thread herself.

Aloha and Good Luck!

Auntie Lynn
    Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
    Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Here's the info I posted earlier for Marisol about Hawai'i's Puerto Rican community.

Miulang
      "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang
        Here's the info I posted earlier for Marisol about Hawai'i's Puerto Rican community.

Miulang
        Wow! Tita Miulang! Fast as Lightning!!!

Mahalo,

Lynn

Comment

[...]Can anyone suggest a way for me to determine answers to these questions?
          I wish I could help, Jomundo, and it appears others have and will. Your request struck a chord with me as I, too, will soon start a search for a mainland relative who may or may not exist. I will probably contact a private investigator as I have some pertinent info that should aide in the search. There are also people finder type web sites but...which ones can be trusted? I dunno...but I'll be watching this thread with interest. I wish you the best as I understand the yearning to know more.

Comment

Thank you TUTUSUE for your kind words. I never expected to cause anyone any sorrow or hurt over my interests. However, it is nice to know that there are people out there who understand my feelings.

Comment

Thank you TUTUSUE for your kind words. I never expected to cause anyone any sorrow or hurt over my interests. However, it is nice to know that there are people out there who understand my feelings.
              Sorrow or hurt? Nah...not at all.
              Understanding? Absolutely!
              Curiosity is probably the best description right now.

Comment

MAR Y SOL there is a book titled "DE BORINQUEN A HAWAII-FROM PUERTO RICO TO HAWAII" by Blaze Camacho Souza. Pages 42-104 of that book are said to contain names of first Puerto Ricans to go from Puerto Rico to Hawaii. I have learned that the Hawaii State Library in Honolulu has the book. Unfortunately copies don't seem to be available for sale. I cannot go to the library because I am in Texas. (will someone tell me what "Keiki" means)

Comment

MAR Y SOL there is a book titled "DE BORINQUEN A HAWAII-FROM PUERTO RICO TO HAWAII" by Blaze Camacho Souza. Pages 42-104 of that book are said to contain names of first Puerto Ricans to go from Puerto Rico to Hawaii. I have learned that the Hawaii State Library in Honolulu has the book. Unfortunately copies don't seem to be available for sale. I cannot go to the library because I am in Texas. (will someone tell me what "Keiki" means)
                  Keiki means child or children.

Auntie Lynn

Comment

I seem to have hit a wrong key and lost a message I was sending to 1st WAHINE and MIULANG. So here I go again: Thank you both for your interest. Any info is greatly appreciated.

Comment

Thank you AUNTIE LYNN I no know that keiki is the same as nene in spanish.

Comment

(will someone tell me what "Keiki" means)
                        You may also want to look at this thread for a discussion of the rank titles based on the number of post that one makes in HawaiiThreads.

Comment

Other than "United Puerto Rican Association of Hawaii" can anyone suggest where I can obtain a list of Puerto Ricans who went to Hawaii during 1900?

Comment

people who fit your grandparents profile would be known around the local PR communities. Are you comfortable sharing their names to strangers you meet on the internet? If they were still living, how old would they be?

Many of us still live in communities with "six degrees of integration".

pax

Comment

Originally posted by Pua'i Mana'o
                              people who fit your grandparents profile would be known around the local PR communities. Are you comfortable sharing their names to strangers you meet on the internet? If they were still living, how old would they be?

Many of us still live in communities with "six degrees of integration".
                              I believe my grandfathher's name was Rafael Rodriguez. My gramdmother's maiden name was Tomasa Juarbe. If they were alive today the would be over 100 years old, so I doubt their longevity. I am not sure about my grandfather's first name but his last name was definitely Rodriguez.

Comment

Working...
                              X