Planning to go to school in Hawaii

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Planning to go to school in Hawaii

Hey, I'm currently working on my AA degree at a community college, and I've decided to study cultural anthropology. The University of Hawaii seems to offer an ideal program. Also, I love the history and beauty of the Islands. I do have a few questions.

Should I get a drivers liscence or use other transportation services?

I hear living there is expensive. How many jobs am I going to need to have to support myself?

And most importantly, are there any Liberitarians on this message board (especially FSP members)?
    Chris

Please visit these cool sites:
    FREE TALK LIVE - Talk Radio. You take control. Call in and talk about anything.
    FREE STATE PROJECT - It could be your only chance for liberity in your lifetime.
    LITTLE STEVEN'S UNDERGROUND GARAGE - Rock n' Roll Lives!

Re: Planning to go to school in Hawaii

Hi, Freedom!

1. There is already way, way too much traffic on O'ahu. And TheBus goes everywhere. it's relatively cheap and pretty reliable. We're also working on getting a rail system. Gas is still far too expensive. For a student, a car is kind of impractical.

2. Heh. Three or four? Just kidding. If you live frugally and stay on campus, you can probably get by with one. It really depends on whether or not your tuition is coming out of your own pocket. If you have some kind of scholarship or tuition assistance, you can maybe work at night and on weekends and get by.

3. Yep. Scrivener. And me, to a lesser degree.

Comment

Good luck in your plan. I definitely suggest you research, study, and plan your brains out. Hawaii is a great destination in theory, but a killer in practice -- in part because it's nearly as hard to leave if you have to.

Then again, my wife came to Hawaii for college on a whim, by all practical accounts a bad idea... but seeing how things turned out I can't complain.

Driver's license? Well, I'm all for you getting as much documentation as you can linking you to the islands, so whether or not you drive, get one if you can. At least a state ID. As for transportation, though, car ownership is a serious challenge, particularly for students (astronomical gas and insurance prices, parking headaches, the works). There's a reason why most of 'em use TheBus -- and as bus systems go, ours is pretty darn good.

How many jobs? How much time do you have outside of classes? There are people working more than two full-time jobs to make ends meet, and there are people with full-time jobs living on the street, if that gives you an idea of the cost of living. Fortunately, the standard of living for students can allow for some compromises. If you can't nab a dorm room, you're going to have to share a place. (You can even rent a closet!) Basically, any advantage offered you as a student should be taken. The good news is 'help wanted' signs are everywhere. The bad news is, they might not be jobs you want, and they'll probably not pay what you need to live entirely on your own.

Libertarians? I know a few personally, and at least one on this board. But I'd recommend you seek out active party members here in Hawaii, of which there are many. The last number I have for the local office is (808) 537-3078. Their website is here, but the last update I see are photos from their convention in June 2005. There's also a mailing list with a few recent postings (not many on local issues, though).

Comment

Thanks a lot guys!!
        Chris

Please visit these cool sites:
        FREE TALK LIVE - Talk Radio. You take control. Call in and talk about anything.
        FREE STATE PROJECT - It could be your only chance for liberity in your lifetime.
        LITTLE STEVEN'S UNDERGROUND GARAGE - Rock n' Roll Lives!

Comment

Working...
        X