Should I do It?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should I do It?

I have a job offer in Honolulu and I am looking for suggestions on if I will be making enough to live comfortable. I will be making around 52k per year before taxes and 401k, and my wife will only be working part time while attending UH. I think she may make around $15k per year. I have been looking at apartments online and see that a furnished studio with utilities are around $1300 per month. (does this sound right?). We just want to make enough to pay the bills, eat good, go out to the movies and out to eat once a week or 2, and go scuba diving every couple of weeks or 2. Any suggestions on this? If i were to work on Bishop Street were should I live?

Thanks

Chad

Re: Should I do It?

Chad, Come, Komo Mai! No be shy! Come to Hawai'i. Great paying job. You lucky to get opportunity lil'dat on Bishop Street yet. Wow! Impressive. As for $1,300 rent. Hmmm...start looking online in the two newspapers we have here. The availability is scarce and the rents are high. Nuff said. But no worry with the amount of money you going be making you can afford more.

Auntie Lynn

btw: Welcome to Hawaii Threads.com
    Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
    Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Originally posted by chadhender
      I have a job offer in Honolulu and I am looking for suggestions on if I will be making enough to live comfortable. I will be making around 52k per year before taxes and 401k, and my wife will only be working part time while attending UH. I think she may make around $15k per year. I have been looking at apartments online and see that a furnished studio with utilities are around $1300 per month. (does this sound right?). We just want to make enough to pay the bills, eat good, go out to the movies and out to eat once a week or 2, and go scuba diving every couple of weeks or 2. Any suggestions on this? If i were to work on Bishop Street were should I live?

Thanks

Chad
      dunno but seems tight. 52g before taxes will be a little over 40g after which is about 3500 a month.lets say 1500 monthly for a tiny studio for 2 people leaving 2000 for monthly living exp.cost of living is higher in regards to food,gasoline,taxes,etc.,plus you will be adding car payments or buying a car with hawaiis insurance rates being the second highest.you will be better off than someone on welfare but they get free housing and food stamps.

Comment

If i were to work on Bishop Street were should I live?
        Depends on if you have a car or are you going to use TheBus. If you live and work in the area bounded by South Beretania Street on the north, Kalakaua Aveune in the east, Kapiolani Blvd (with South and North King streets toward the east side) on the south and Aala Park on the east you pretty much have a wide choice of bus routes that service that area and don't have to wait a long time for the right one to show up.

Bishop Street is within that area so you are half way there.

Comment

Well, I will be looking for a place to live as close to work as possible. I will be buying a car (with the cash I sell my car I have now)so i will not have a note, just insurance, but my other half will be driving that to UH. I will be riding the bus since the company will pay for the bus ticket. Do does still not seem like enough even with the little she will make at her part time job? I am not trying to get rich, just have enough to enjoy myself.

Comment

forgot about the wifes part time job which would add 10-12 extra so that would be a good cushion against unexpected expenses and emergencies.if it is going towards tuition,books,etc.,then just be careful and buy a gas-sipping honda or toyota and buy in bulk at costco and walmart.

Comment

So do you think it would be a wise choice to go with it and move or would you just stay home and visit?

Comment

That's really up to you, but I am surprised that the company didn't do a face to face interview before offering you the job.

Comment

definitely go!you already have a job lined up and am sure you will be getting raises.your wife wants to go to uh and her part time work will help out and when she graduates and works fulltime,both of your incomes will give you a more comfortable living than most there or anywhere.$25000 is the per capita income in hawaii so you are already far ahead.go go go!live your dream in paradise instead of in skokie or tulsa or dayton or wherever!

Comment

So do you think it would be a wise choice to go with it and move or would you just stay home and visit?
                    If you have a job lined up, you're in a better position than many of the folks who decide to relocate here. I'm not sure how significant a benefit your wife's part-time income will be, especially given the additional expenses student life comes with (especially if she's going to be paying non-resident tuition), but your salary seems very reasonable as a starting point. If you're willing to make some noticable compromises in your standard of living (studio apartment, no car) at least in your first six months, you should do fine. At least on paper.

Everyone here, though, I'd wager, would strongly advise an advance fact-finding visit, and some face-to-face interaction with your would-be employer.

On the former, you need to spend some time here, and especially outside the happy shell we try to insulate our tourists in, to get a feel for everyday life. Not just practical things like transportation and shopping, but more importantly, cultural things. Just how open minded are you, and how well do you think you can adapt to the way things are in Hawaii? On many levels, it's like being in a foreign country.

On the latter, it's pretty important to know just how well the corporate culture will suit you. Adjusting to any new employer and business is a challenge, but it's not an understatement to say that many Mainland folks who arrive in Honolulu find the way many locals do business particularly tough to get used to.

I'm serious about the car, though. Live in town, and TheBus is your friend. Force yourself to adapt without that luxury, for at least the better part of your first year. You might find it suits you better than you think. Forget the added costs... just avoiding the way people in Hawaii drive will save you a lot of stress and aggravation.

Comment

How hard do you think it will be to find an apartment? On the culture part, I will be able to adapt well. My wife is asian (born in vietnam) and I am use to her culture. Is it easy to live with out a car if I were living in the city? Would it not even be a good idea to have one for the weekends and grocery shopping?

Comment

Originally posted by helen
                        That's really up to you, but I am surprised that the company didn't do a face to face interview before offering you the job.

I did a face to face interview.

Comment

I have been living on Oahu since 1979, I never had a car while living here been using TheBus for the most part. Some times friends or co-workers would give me a ride, other times I take a taxi or if it's special event or have to go some place kind of far then I rent a car.

Comment

I would also tuck away a couple of thousand dollars for "contingency money" that you don't touch unless things don't work out for you in Hawai'i and you decide to leave after a year or so. Some people never can adjust to living on an island, especially when they're used to being able to hop into their car and drive hundreds of miles to get someplace. On any of the islands, all you can do is hop in the car and drive round and round!

Miulang
                            "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Speaking of which you are going to need at least $3,000 to rent an apartment here. If you are willing to spend $1,300 per month for an apartment, you are going to need another $1,300 for the security deposit, that leaves the other $400 for just in case expensives.

Comment

Working...
                              X