Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Relocating to Oahu

Hello!

I was hoping for any advice that you can provide me with. I’m sorry if you get asked these questions all the time.

I am graduating from college in May and have just been hired for my first job in Waikiki starting in September. I have spent the majority of my life in New England but have lived (for brief periods) internationally. I am a very open and quite independent person and I am very much looking forward to relocating to Hawaii. I do have a few small concerns however.

The company is providing me with a nice starting salary and is helping me with some of my relocation including some funds to go towards a year of rent. However, from what I’ve seen/heard the rental market in Hawaii is very, very, tight. My main concern is my inability to find much in the way of rentals while sitting here in upstate NY. I’ve pretty much scoured the internet at this point…rentals illustrated, Honolulu Star-Bulletin, Honolulu Advertiser, Rent.com….pretty much everywhere I could think of. I do have a trip to Hawaii planned for the beginning of June. Is finding apartments any easier in person? Are there any other websites I should be looking at? Are there any specific areas I should focus my search on?

I have heard that traffic in Hawaii is wicked. Is it possible to rely upon The Bus seeing that I will be working in Waikiki? For practical (as well as financial) reasons I will not be brining a car with me. If a car is necessary, how is the market for used cars on the island?

Of course, any other advice (including “I wish I had known” stories) would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Katherine

Re: Relocating to Oahu

Here's a few reply's to yer querie's:
    (hey; just tryin' fo make it fo some odda people unnastand, eh!?)
    ok...
    bus is feasable and pretty decent for getting around. 2 bux per trip, whether a block or across the island.
    used cars easy to come by. Get ready to not care about how glossy and perfect yer ride is anymore. Our salt air eats up a car wikwiki and the hot sun oxidizes the surface quicker.
    good luck. yer gonna need it.
    we will do what we can here on HT but you'll be writing yer own "wish ta hell I had known THAT" soon enuff...
    Last edited by kimo55; February 26, 2006, 10:58 AM.

Comment

With the housing market being as tight as it is everywhere, I would suggest that you try to find compatible roommates to help share the expenses for awhile. You're single so you stand a better chance of finding housing if you share your housing with others. If you live in downtown Honolulu, The Bus should be adequate for most of your commuting needs. Try also looking on cragislist/hawaii for some ads about rentals and roommates.

Good luck in your search.

Miulang
      "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by WorldstoSee
        Hello!

I was hoping for any advice that you can provide me with. I’m sorry if you get asked these questions all the time.

I am graduating from college in May and have just been hired for my first job in Waikiki starting in September. I have spent the majority of my life in New England but have lived (for brief periods) internationally. I am a very open and quite independent person and I am very much looking forward to relocating to Hawaii. I do have a few small concerns however.

The company is providing me with a nice starting salary and is helping me with some of my relocation including some funds to go towards a year of rent. However, from what I’ve seen/heard the rental market in Hawaii is very, very, tight. My main concern is my inability to find much in the way of rentals while sitting here in upstate NY. I’ve pretty much scoured the internet at this point…rentals illustrated, Honolulu Star-Bulletin, Honolulu Advertiser, Rent.com….pretty much everywhere I could think of. I do have a trip to Hawaii planned for the beginning of June. Is finding apartments any easier in person? Are there any other websites I should be looking at? Are there any specific areas I should focus my search on?

I have heard that traffic in Hawaii is wicked. Is it possible to rely upon The Bus seeing that I will be working in Waikiki? For practical (as well as financial) reasons I will not be brining a car with me. If a car is necessary, how is the market for used cars on the island?

Of course, any other advice (including “I wish I had known” stories) would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
        Katherine

Hey in upstate NY.North Jersey here spent 4 years south of Utica NY and 2 years in Andover Mass.Spent the last year reseaching and visiting Honolulu and have a Waikiki condo rental lined up for April.Its easier for a long-term rental to be there in person,but there are many short-term and vacation rentals available and naturally the higher the rent the easier the availability.
        Also if your job is in Waikiki,having a Waikiki condo is perfect as you won't need a car and parking,and the heavy traffic goes into Waikiki in the morning and goes away in the late afternoon.
        Here's 3 sites with rentals.

http://www.hawaiicondo.com/rates.html#WaiBanprem

http://www.rentalshawaii.net/rental_list.php

http://honolulu.craigslist.org/

Comment

I had rentals lined up to view the day after my husband and I arrived on the island in September. We found all of them via Craig's List (link provided by ahola) about 2 weeks prior to moving and all the people we spoke with (either on the phone or via email) were nothing but pleasant. Most of the people that I contacted via Craig's List had immediate openings for homes/condos, but there were a few that were putting ads out about a month or two prior to the property being available. I wouldn't say it was easier in person, but not everyone is willing to go out of their way to take tons of pictures so you can see what the house/neighborhood looks like.

There's a book you may want to sit down and read at your local large bookstore or library called "So You Want To Live to Hawai'i" (the 2005 edition). I found my copy at Costco. It'll give you an idea of what you're getting into. There were some things I didn't find to be a problem that the book had me thinking would be a problem and vice versa, but overall, it's a good read in my opinion. We still use it as a reference for some phone numbers and other random things.

Congrats on the job and graduating!

kells

Comment

Working...
          X