Former Mainlanders, HOW'D YOU DO IT?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Former Mainlanders, HOW'D YOU DO IT?

My husband and I are thinking of moving from Lake Tahoe to perhaps Kauai and just trying to get a feel for all it involves (lots and lots!!!) read some positive threads on here and some not so positive (understandable). We do understand (I think) just how expensive it will be but still have a few questions and would be very apprciative if anyone could help, thanks

I have been a preschool teacher for over 23 years and want to know any thing anyone can share re: prescools jobs, wages for teachers, are there any preschools that are under the DOE?

also we have an 11 yr and 15yr old what is the heath insur. like on the islands, here in california we have healthy families which is not like medical your income needs to be higher but not so high that you could pay for health insur on yourown.
    Are there web sites that I can visit to also find out about middle and high schools for may two children (in Kauai)

Maybe if there are any families who have made the move from the mainland to the island they would'nt mind putting in there 2 cents

hope the ?s make sense this is all so new to us and really almost scary but we really need this change and don not want to wake up and be too old to really take a chance and LIVE!

Thanks Nan

Re: ECE teacher an family planning a move??

Here's a link to public schools on Kauai. Given all the flooding in recent weeks and the devastation that even the national TV news is covering, are you SURE you want to move to Kauai? To get a flavor for Kaua'i living, go online to the Kaua'i Garden Isle News. You can find out about housing prices, employment, what's going on.

Miulang
    Last edited by Miulang; March 19, 2006, 08:19 AM.
    "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Thanks Miulang for the info. I do know of the recent flooding and all that has happened in Kauai just wounder how long it will take for the community to get back on it's feet also how it will affect realstate, jobs and what not.
      I have been to Kauai once and thats the only island I know, my mother-in-law visits Kauai often so thats why it seems more familar (if you will) to me.
      I think of Kauai as maybe the most laid back small town feeling of all the islands and maybe the easiest to relocate to???

Is there an island that might fit that bill?

Thanks
      Nan

Comment

Former Mainlanders, HOW'D YOU DO IT?

I would really like to hear from someone who moved their family from the mainland. We are thinking of making the move need some real input on the subject from someone who went through it and possibly in the last couple of years so it may be close to what we may experince. We are looking at Kauai ( yes we know about the recent flooding ) Only island I have been to and also more familar with it because my mother-in-law visits Kauai often, I seem to think that Kauai may be the best island for us because of the small town feeling and more laid back out look??
        or is there another island that we may get the same from??
        We are not rich folk to say the least after the sale of our house we may be able to afford to put 375,00-400,00 down on a house and take a loan out for 150,00-200,00. we would need to start all over for jobs I have been a preschool teacher for over 23 years and my husband is a former highway maintence worker.
        we have 15yr and a 11 yr old.

we truley need a change feel like we need to take this chance

please help

Thank you
        nan

Comment

Originally posted by Nan
          Thanks Miulang for the info. I do know of the recent flooding and all that has happened in Kauai just wounder how long it will take for the community to get back on it's feet also how it will affect realstate, jobs and what not.
          I have been to Kauai once and thats the only island I know, my mother-in-law visits Kauai often so thats why it seems more familar (if you will) to me.
          I think of Kauai as maybe the most laid back small town feeling of all the islands and maybe the easiest to relocate to???

Is there an island that might fit that bill?

Thanks
          Nan
          I visited there 3 years ago and even then, the island still hadn't recovered completely from Hurricane Iniki which happened in 1992, so I don't know how long it's going to take to recover from this disaster. I guess the best thing to do if you move is make sure you find a place in Lihue or somewhere away from the rivers and streams and away from the hillsides (and dry stream beds) because those "once every 100 year" floods and natural disasters seem to be occurring more and more often due to rapid development of that island and the rest of the island chain. How do your kids feel about moving? I'm sure if you read some of the education postings on this board, you have discovered that the Hawai'i public school system is woefully inadequate, and that might be a concern for you. Laid back is relative; the island which is probably the least developed (and fighting to stay that way) is Moloka'i, except for Lana'i, which is pretty much a rich folks island (Bill Gates got married there). BTW: It might be HARDER for you and your family to integrate into a small town than in a relatively large city like Honolulu, which is more cosmopolitan and diverse.

Miulang
          Last edited by Miulang; March 19, 2006, 01:39 PM.
          "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Re: Former Mainlanders, HOW'D YOU DO IT?

Jobs and kids...two of the biggest issues when considering a move to Hawaii!

You say your husband is a *former* highway maintenance worker. I'm not going to ask any personal questions but, fwiw, you both will most likely need to have full time jobs, or more, unless there's an adequate, guaranteed, outside income of some sort (ie: trust fund, pension, whatever!). While there seem to be jobs available, they tend to be on the lower end of the income spectrum.

Schools tend to be a huge issue. This should be researched meticulously. How do your kids feel about the move? For them it won't be like moving to the next county.

All of the islands have their pluses and minuses. Oahu is the most diverse in that it offers city, suburb and country living.

Real Estate prices are through the roof right now. While you will have a very healthy down payment which will help you obtain a mortgage, the amount of the mortgage will be dependent on your monthly income. In Hawaii, one's monthly income, on average and based on the same job, is lower than on the mainland. The cost of living is higher.

I made a lock, stock and barrel move from California to Honolulu in 1978 with a 10 and 11 year old. I'd probably visited Hawaii at least 12 times prior to that. The kids adjusted just fine as they, too, had visited many times. I often reflect on that move and how often I was told how 'gutsy' I was (I was a single mom!)! I wonder if under the same circumstances *today* I'd do the same thing. It's certainly a lot riskier today than 28 years ago.

With everything said and done...it's the best move I ever made. I can't imagine living anywhere else.

Comment

Nan

check your private messages
              Support Lung Cancer Research

Comment

We left you a private message also.
                Try to enjoy life! "You won't get out alive"

Comment

dont you hate it when ppl ask then never come back? LOL

Comment

Originally posted by kaneohegirl
                    dont you hate it when ppl ask then never come back? LOL
                    Maybe your PM wen go scare her off, KG!

Miulang

Comment

hey I wasnt da oni one who sent one ..... home get plany going for it if you are single or married wid no kids and no intentions of having kids having one good paying job or being wealthy helps but othawise get otherways to " start over" that would put you ahead instead of behind... more better to come out ahead than try for catch up an have hard time feeding your babies

Comment

Working...
                      X