Ben Cayetano

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ben Cayetano

So last fall, former Gov. Ben Cayetano said he was going to teach at Farrington High School in the spring of 2006. I heard the other day that he has quit, halfway through the term. I also heard that it's because the students actually talk back -- gasp! And they ask him uncomfortable questions about touchy subjects that happened during his tenure as governor, like the HSTA teachers strike, and expect him to answer them. These kids have some nerve, questioning him that way. Who do they think they are, anyway?

Re: Ben Cayetano

ha! ha! good one! yeah, these d#$& kids!
    525,600 minutes, 525,000 moments so dear. 525,600 minutes - how do you measure, measure a year?

Comment

"And I would have stayed for the whole year if it wasn’t for you meddling kids!"

Comment

"What happens in the Govenor's office....Stays in the Govenor's office"
        I guess Weirdly Gruesome couldn't handle educated minds.
        Listen to KEITH AND THE GIRLsigpic

Stupid people come in all flavors-buzz1941
        Flickr

Comment

The class that Governor Cayetano taught was made up of good, bright students -- exactly the kind of motivated, inquisitive kids you'd expect to pursue questions like this.

I hate to say this, but I almost expected this. I was chatting with Mr. Cayetano about this just a few weeks before he began, and I could tell that what he wanted was a sort of return to the days when students spoke when spoken to; he seemed to think that teachers' jobs were easy and that they complained too much.

It is my hope that maybe he'll leave this project not with disdain for these students, but with a renewed respect for teachers who do this all day, every day, year after year, sometimes with a classroom full of terrific students such as he had, and sometimes with students who just don't give a rip.

I say this all the time, I know, but I know a lot more teachers who could be successful lawmakers, doctors, lawyers, and engineers than I know lawmakers, doctors, lawyers, and engineers who could be successful teachers.
          But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
          GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

BIG BIG DIFFERENCE how only a few years can make!!! What was den is watt is Now!!! Big difference from b-4.......... Now day`s kids no everything, we born yesterday. As why they no can get it together, too much pampering!!!
            OGGBOY
            bin dea-dunn dat.

Comment

Originally posted by scrivener
              [...]I say this all the time, I know, but I know a lot more teachers who could be successful lawmakers, doctors, lawyers, and engineers than I know lawmakers, doctors, lawyers, and engineers who could be successful teachers.
              And who taught all those lawmakers, doctors, lawyers and engineers?
              Teachers have my utmost respect.

Comment

Is there a official press release that he has indeed quit, if so, can someone post it here.

Thanks! KalihiBoy

Comment

Relax, you guys. Somebody called the principal to ask and here's the scoop:

"The school is on a block schedule, where one semester's class is covered in just one quarter of the year, and that quarter ends this Friday. Cayetano's class ends that day, and he'll be there."

Blaine
                  Make trouble, have fun, do good stuffs.

Comment

Originally posted by zztype
                    Relax, you guys. Somebody called the principal to ask and here's the scoop:

"The school is on a block schedule, where one semester's class is covered in just one quarter of the year, and that quarter ends this Friday. Cayetano's class ends that day, and he'll be there."
                    Aw, Blaine! Don'tcha know it's more fun to spread unsubstantiated rumors about a much-reviled public figure?

Ya buzz kill.

Comment

Farrington workload wows guest teacher Cayetano

Star-Bulletin staff
                      citydesk@starbulletin.com

Former Gov. Ben Cayetano wound up his stint teaching politics at his alma mater, Farrington High School, last week with a new appreciation of the challenges facing teachers and students.

"These teachers have tremendous workloads," said Cayetano, who faced a three-week strike by public school teachers while he was governor. And so do the kids, who work part time to help support their families, he said.

continued...
                      Make trouble, have fun, do good stuffs.

Comment

That was a nice piece. I especially like the part about "every legislator should teach for a semester." One thing worth pointing out is that the governor only taught three days a week, one period per day. He didn't have to attend faculty meetings or counsel students who have recently broken up with girlfriends; he didn't have to do administrative paperwork or work with the juniors on their prom. When he was ill, he probably didn't have to write lesson plans for a substitute. He didn't have to decorate a bulletin board and he didn't have to make sure every one of his daily lessons addressed state content standards, and he didn't have to know what the General Learner Outcomes expectations are.

I appreciate the governor's words, but he doesn't really know the half of it.
                        But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
                        GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Working...
                        X