Record-breaking rains

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Record-breaking rains

Wow, so it's official! The National Weather Service says that in some places, we have had more rain in the last month than we have ever had in any previous month on record. (link)

Re: Record-breaking rains

Originally posted by Glen Miyashiro
    Wow, so it's official! The National Weather Service says that in some places, we have had more rain in the last month than we have ever had in any previous month on record. (link)
    Thanks for the link, Glenn. That info confirms what I've observed in my area. I live close to the Waianae Boat Harbor and have told people we've only been spit upon by the rain but enough to turn the ridges into what looks like carpets of beautiful, green velvet...altho' the price of that beauty has been paid by the homeless sector living on the beach. I've never seen so many blue tarps in my life. All the hardware and home improvement stores on the leeward side must be out of stock at this point.

Comment

I left a record outside. it rained so hard it broke that old L.P.!
      so, yea. yer right.

(boy, do we need an old folks section in HT.
      for ones who know LP and Johnny & Edgar, and....)

Comment

Originally posted by kimo55
        (boy, do we need an old folks section in HT.
        So I just started a new thread called "Albino Rock!" in the Jukebox section at http://www.hawaiithreads.com/showthr...2628#post62628

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Originally posted by kimo55
          [...](boy, do we need an old folks section in HT.
          I think I'm the oldest folk on HT! But, sorry, Johnny and Edgar don't ring a bell. Dunno why, either. <shrug> LP? I must've missed that reference. Possibly I can redeem myself with another hint?

Comment

Okay, Gang, fasten those life preservers. The thunder is just starting to edge toward Oahu. It's not raining in Makaha yet but it sounds like it could be an interesting night.

Comment

Well, that didn't take long! The rain has hit the west side. Lightning is brighter and thunder is louder. Hang on sloopy, sloopy hang on!
              Last edited by tutusue; March 22, 2006, 09:29 PM. Reason: damn typos!

Comment

Didn't last long, either ... We were out in the hot tub in a downpour, with lightning flashing.

Comment

Originally posted by MadAzza
                  Didn't last long, either ... We were out in the hot tub in a downpour, with lightning flashing.

Yup...it didn't take long before it settled down. Unfortunately I'd left my sliding door open and the screen closed when I took a shower. My living room took a shower, too. My floor is very, very clean now!

Comment

All the rain is due to "global wetting".
                    Listen to KEITH AND THE GIRLsigpic

Stupid people come in all flavors-buzz1941
                    Flickr

Comment

It was impressive how quickly the downpour came. A bright lightning flash around 10 p.m., and a minute later, the roar of falling water. Not just "rain," either, but big, fat, juicy drops that seemed to punch every surface. It seemed to come in waves... but then, peace again.

Of course, driving this morning to work, it was coming down in buckets again. Good thing we got out extra early... H-1 and H-2 were backed up past the merge by 5:40 a.m. Gotta say, the Nimitz Contraflow lane is pretty scary in heavy rain...

Comment

I'm gonna start measuring thunderstorms as "one or two pill nights," depending on how many anxiety pills I have to give Tigger. She doesn't like rain much, but she doesn't like thunder and lightning at all, at all.

Yesterday was a one-pill, at 1830.
                        http://www.linkmeister.com/wordpress/

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue
                          I think I'm the oldest folk on HT! But, sorry, Johnny and Edgar don't ring a bell. Dunno why, either. <shrug> LP? I must've missed that reference. Possibly I can redeem myself with another hint?
                          You might be too late, now that Spring is here, and Winter is passed...

Comment

Warm air holds more moisture. The rains will break records more and more in the tropics in the coming years. Be thankful that you are not in the Midwest, where drier and drier conditions will continue to escalate.

When you study the Waianae Coast, and the Napili Coast of Maui, you can see where ocean level rise is going to get real uncomfortable in about 10-20 years. The smartest people are selling ocean front land at high prices RIGHT NOW all over Hawaii.

History of the Outer Banks of NC show that you dont want to own the land when the ocean comes to claim it. Inevitably you are left with nothing.

I always recommend that buyers buy the land across the street from the ocean, or 1 block up. I see very few "smart" people who own property right on the ocean.

If u so rich, why u no smot?
                            FutureNewsNetwork.com
                            Energy answers are already here.

Comment

Originally posted by timkona
                              you can see where ocean level rise is going to get real uncomfortable in about 10-20 years.
                              Good timing: see http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories...MPLATE=DEFAULT

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Working...
                              X