Ohio to Hilo :)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ohio to Hilo :)

My husband received a job offer from the University and we are coming out to explore the Big Island. I have been to Maui, Kauai, and Oahu but not the big island. I am pretty nervous about making the RIGHT decision for us. I have already explored a lot of pros and cons about life in hawaii. I have read "So you want to live in Hawaii" a few years back but now the options are definetly there!
    We have no children, no plans in the immediate future, but 2 little fur babies that would be coming with us!
    Thanks for all your post and information so far!
    Amanda

A few questions that anyone can offer advice, thoughts:

1. What would a couple on average spend on groceries? What is the biggest change from the main land. I have heard you just learn to eat completely different! Someone told us eat all the cucumbers and asparagus we can while we are here!

2. Do most people go to Costco on the weekend for shopping needs?

3. No kids yet but do a lot of people try to find private schools. So far in my search I have only came across Christian religion schools? Or are the public schools what you/your child makes of them?

Re: Ohio to Hilo

1. In Hilo a couple would spend about $125 a week( bread is between $1.50-3.00...milk $3.50 -4.00 a gal). Safeway is the biggest chain...many local chains too. For produce, you can find good deals at the Farmer's Market in town.

2. If you can afford the gas( $2.89 regular) for the 200 mile round trip to Kona

3. The public schools are what you/your child makes of them. If you will be living in the Waiakea area they have good schools. many people like the public charter schools that have popped up recently. Most of the private schools in hilo are Christian religion schools or you need to have Hawaiian Blood (don't jump on me ...I'm being honest!). With that choice, public schools are large.

Hope this helps....good luck!
    Listen to KEITH AND THE GIRLsigpic

Stupid people come in all flavors-buzz1941
    Flickr

Comment

1. What would a couple on average spend on groceries? What is the biggest change from the main land. I have heard you just learn to eat completely different! Someone told us eat all the cucumbers and asparagus we can while we are here!

Grocery expenditures are somewhat related to your lifestyle. In general, expect to spend about 25 to 40 percent more for groceries than in Ohio, unless you change your diet. However, if you pay attention to sales, clip coupons, buy in bulk, go to farmers' markets, and grow your own fruits and vegetables, grocery costs can be minimized.

Here's a link to a cost-of-living comparison calculator....
      http://www.bankrate.com/brm/movecalc.asp

2. Do most people go to Costco on the weekend for shopping needs?

Considering that the only Costco in the Big Island is in Kona, it's more of a once-per-month trip for many on the Hilo side. In between monthly Costco runs, Cost-U-Less, Wal-Mart, and KTA usually suffice. However, those with larger budgets also shop in Honolulu and Los Angeles.

3. No kids yet but do a lot of people try to find private schools. So far in my search I have only came across Christian religion schools? Or are the public schools what you/your child makes of them?

Homeschooling is increasing in popularity here for a good reason.
      Ā Ē Ī Ō Ū ā ē ī ō ū -- Just a little something to "cut and paste."

Comment

There have been a few problems with violence recently at some of the public charter schools and the Christian schools. I forgot to mention this article in today's West Hawai'i Today newspaper....
        More school violence plagues East Hawai'i
        Two days after a violent attack at Waters of Life public charter school in Kea'au, officials at St. Joseph School in Hilo fended off a potentially similar intrusion.

The private school's principal, Sister Marion Kikukawa, said no one was injured March 16 when a group of youths went onto the high school grounds at about 2:40 p.m, just as school was letting out.

At the school's entrance, one of the boys "accosted one of our students," she said.

The St. Joseph student was not hurt.

"He's fine," Kikukawa said. "He was able to break loose and get away before anything happened."

She said both the faculty and the police "responded immediately."

Officers took the alleged attacker to the nearby Hilo police station, she said.

For the rest of the article, here's a link....
        http://www.westhawaiitoday.com/artic...al/local07.txt
        Ā Ē Ī Ō Ū ā ē ī ō ū -- Just a little something to "cut and paste."

Comment

Working...
        X