Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

another teacher arriving (and some unusual questions)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• another teacher arriving (and some unusual questions)

Hi all-

Have been reading the posts with great interest! I am from Michigan and interviewing with Hawaii recruiter in late April. Boy do I have questions for her! I am an experienced teacher (5 yrs of Kindergarten and elementary Art) and post divorce, need a great big change of scenery! I have been living in this freezing climate and after this past winter, I say NO MORE!!!!
    If I can't afford to ski anymore, then what is the point????

I have been to Hawaii and have always loved it. While you're there you think- how cool would it be to live HERE? But then you go back to your life and never actually pursue it... (until you get a divorce and think- "get me out of this small town!") I have been reading about daily life in HI for a while and asking people what the worst thing is about living there and if I can handle that then I figure it's worth a try.

Anyway, I have a few questions for any locals who have the time to answer. Would greatly appreciate your thoughts:
    1. What is this I hear about "Condotels"? Are they basically hotel rooms for sale as living spaces? Do I have to rent it out to guests of the hotel and if not, can I live there with my big friendly dog? I've read this is a booming trend in Honolulu.
    2. How about the singles scene for the mid 30's crowd? Anything good going on or is everyone already married with children by this age?
    3. Are there beaches close to Honolulu where I can take my dog to throw the ball without making anyone mad? (Trying not to buy car and doubt THEBUS takes 90 lb black labs to North Shore.)
    4. Speaking of dogs (you're all going to laugh at me for this one- just keep in mind I'm from the Great Lakes area) ...Is it okay to throw the ball into the water for my big black dog (who might be mistaken for a SEAL and eaten by a SHARK?!!!) to fetch? Is this something people there do? Or should he stay on land and fetch. He loves the water. And he is spoiled by me so I do everything to make him happy Am I neurotic or what?
    5. Will I be an outcast because I don't speak pidgeon? (or pidgin?) I may be from a different world, but I am friendly and love little kids- no matter who they are or what they speak. Hoping my friendliness and outgoing personality will overcome any distrust of mainlanders. I read some advice: bring your neighbors food when you move in and you'll start off right so I'll be taking addresses after this post! Ha Ha
    6. How is the art/gallery scene? I am hoping to come across some sophisticated artists- maybe with an eastern slant, but can't seem to find any websites with info re: Honolulu art scene. Am very interested in meeting other artists.
    (I understand these are kind of obscure questions, but any help or advice would be greatly appreciated)

Kerry

Re: another teacher arriving (and some unusual questions)

Hey Finnsgirl,

I am moving to Oahu next month, so I'm in the same boat as you are for most of your questions. However, I do have some input as to the safety of your dog with regard to sharks. I'd recommend keeping him out of the water in the early morning and later in the day (dawn and dusk) as sharks tend to feed most during those hours and also tend to move to shallower waters at those hours. Also, with the lower light levels they are more likely to make a mistake. I doubt that it will be a problem, but I would also advise not letting your dog in the water near areas with seals, as mistaken identity would be more likely in those areas.

I'd be interested in what others have to say on this.

I'd also like to hear what people have to say about the 30's single scene.

Comment

Honestly...

You have a better chance of having your dog eaten by a filipino human...
      then having a shark eat your dog.

No kidding...

Comment

Aloha e Kerry, and welcome to HawaiiThreads!

You've got a lot of questions, and I'm not sure if all of them will be answered in this first thread. But you can browse around HawaiiThreads to see past conversations relating to relocating to Hawaii. You'll note there's a wide variety of responses you'll get, from the encouraging to the discouraging. Take it all with a grain of salt, and make sure it's only a small part of a very, very big research project.

Read and learn all you can. Moving to Hawaii is a big step, and it can be anything from nirvana to an outright disaster. Hope for the former scenario, but know all you can about the latter.

Some tips are universal. If you haven't visited often, visit often, and when you visit, live as a local, not a tourist. Shop for groceries, catch the city bus, stand in a few lines. Make sure you have employment and housing lined up before you get here, or at least a huge chunk of savings to allow for more than a few weeks of insecurity. And make sure you've got another nest egg out of reach as an "escape" plan -- something I wish every transplant were required to have before getting on that plane. Not that things will go badly, but if they do, the last thing you want is for it to be impossible to escape.

As to your specific questions...

Your dog won't be able to get on TheBus, but he should be fine at the beach, as far as sharks are concerned. Er... except in the rare freak occurance that seems to peak a bit during heavy rains (due to cloudy and organic-rich runoff). But which beach is something you'll have to ask both dog owners and other locals, where sharks are less of a concern than other beach users and local laws. I'm presuming there are some beaches where dogs are quite welcome, and others where they're not. You can check out my friend Roxanne's video podcast where she takes her dog to the beach every day!

Hawaii has a fascinating arts scene. A smaller one than I'd think we'd have given our cultural mix, but an arts scene nonetheless and one that's growing. (And you surely won't be lacking for "Eastern" influences.) There's everything from the regal and staid Honolulu Academy of Arts to the colorful ARTS at Mark's Garage, with lots of other independent galleries, art groups, and artistic people to get to know.

I can't speak to the singles scene, though again I'd say we've got one but not a particularly great one. As long as you'll be in Honolulu and not on a neighbor island, you'll be as close to whatever qualifies as a nightlife in Hawaii as we've got! Seriously, though, follow some of the club-hopping articles in the local papers (Jason Genegabus' column in the Star-Bulletin, Clubbed to Death in the Honolulu Weekly, etc.) for a sense of the local nightlife.

I don't know much about condotels, either, though they strike me as something more for vacationers and time-share oriented folks rather than permanent, long term accommodations. You should be able to cramped, find closet-like accommodations in the regular market, anyway.

Don't worry about the pidgin, and for the love of god, don't try to speak it as part of a "fit in" plan. That's like going to Texas and throwing "y'all" around. Be yourself. Be open and patient. Resist the urge to compare, don't ignore the downsides, but don't let the naysayers get you down, either.

Hawaii is largely what you make of it, and you'll often find what you think you'll find, for better, and for worse.

Comment

WOW!!!! Even those three replies are very helpful.

1. Ryan, you and Roxanne sound like interesting people. I am in the process of learning web design/animation. In addition to teaching, I have been a graphic deisgner of print material for years. I just couldn't make any money at it so I taught. I am torn between which one I enjoy more. Would love to get your advice on web design scene there.

2. I'm glad I wasn't crazy re: the whole shark thing. Would hate to lose a leg to that.

3. Re: Condotels- I lived in NYC from 1993-1995, so I'm used to cramped quarters. In Hawaii, I plan to be outdoors more anyway.

4. Don't worry. I'm not about to start trying to speak pidgen. Yikes- that would be embarrassing.

thanks all,
          k

Comment

Regarding your dog, you'll need to do some research on the steps to bring your doggie with you as it's a pretty long process. Your dog will most likely be quarantined for a certain amount of period, too.

Comment

Originally posted by Kekaha Roots
              Your dog will most likely be quarantined for a certain amount of period
              unless he's a boy dog.

Comment

Hi Kerry...
                Good info for you so far...altho' I'm still cleaning the salsa off my keyboard after reading Manoa's reply! Personally, I've never heard of a shark attacking a dog in Hawaii! That doesn't mean it hasn't happened, tho'.

Condotels...no, you do not have to rent it out and can live there if you want. I will eventually be in the market for one and think they're a good idea for the right people. They're definitely not for everyone. I live 40 miles from town and don't like to make late night drives from town to home. And, I'm not willing to leave where I live for full time residency in town. A condotel is a perfect set up for me...a 'crash pad'! And, as I understand it, you have most of the amenities of the hotel's guests. Keep in mind, tho', that some will be better than others! I think it's a reasonable living situation but I'd be very surprised if any accepted dogs...and a 90 lb. dog at that. I have a feeling your 'best friend' will make it difficult for you to find housing in an already tight housing market. Then, again, if you accept a teaching job in Hawaii it may be in a rural area where pets might be a little more accepted if you end up renting.

Speaking of rural areas...you mention that you'll meet with the recruiter in April...and you mention beaches in the Honolulu area. Do you know for sure that will be the area in which you'll be teaching should you be offered a job? Or, is that the only area you're willing to accept?

30s and single...I'm sure there are plenty of single 30-somethings and some sort of a singles scene but I'm 30 years removed from that age group and completely out of the loop. If you need to know where the geriatrics are jammin' I can probably help!

Comment

As far as the pooch is concerned, take note of Pzarquon's link to the quarantine requirements in the second answer to the "Aloha from Nashville" thread. It's no longer the awful 90 or 120 days it once was; now it's more like "got shots and chips?"
                  http://www.linkmeister.com/wordpress/

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue
                    Good info for you so far...altho' I'm still cleaning the salsa off my keyboard after reading Manoa's reply!
                    But you know it's true....yeah?

Comment

Originally posted by manoasurfer123
                      "altho' I'm still cleaning the salsa off my keyboard after reading Manoa's reply! "

But you know it's true....yeah?
                      Yup...it's true...I'm still finding bits of salsa between the keys!

Comment

Originally posted by Linkmeister
                        As far as the pooch is concerned, take note of Pzarquon's link to the quarantine requirements in the second answer to the "Aloha from Nashville" thread. It's no longer the awful 90 or 120 days it once was; now it's more like "got shots and chips?"
                        That's GREAT news! Thanks for the info.

Comment

If you're bringing a dog, please see:

http://www.hawaiiag.org/hdoa/

or just go to

http://www.hawaiiag.org/hdoa/ai_aqs_info.htm

which explains Hawaii's quarantine rules. In short, you can have your dog quarantined at your end *before* moving to Hawaii. It will be much less traumatic for both of you. But please do read up on it and be prepared.

Aloha,
                          Maddie
                          Part-Swede (so we're sort of related ...)
                          Mom of Dash, a humane society "poi dog," aka mutt

Comment

Originally posted by manoasurfer123
                            Honestly...

You have a better chance of having your dog eaten by a filipino human...
                            then having a shark eat your dog.

No kidding...

***spits soda out my nose*** OMG so true... so true.... my stepfather would always threaten the dogs if they tore something up... but my mom woulda tore him up if he hurt her babies..... but not oni da filipino I was reading that there have been many korean ppl using dog for meat
                            Support Lung Cancer Research

Comment

Working...
                            X