Which Hotel in Oahu

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which Hotel in Oahu

I have booked a Honeymoon for almost 3 weeks in July. One of the weeks we are spending on Oahu. I have managed to secure 2 hotels here. Mandarin Oriental and Halekulani but will only stay at one. Both will be standard rooms.

The price is the same for both with the agent we are using.

Which one should we go for?

Halekulani looks like a beautiful hotel but the Mandarin has had some great reviews.

Does anyone here have any experiences with these hotels?

Many Thanks.............

Re: Which Hotel in Oahu

Stay at the Halekulani if you want to be in Waikiki. Downside is the Beachwalk Waikiki construction going on around the corner.

The (former) Mandarin Oriental is maybe a 15 minute drive along the coast past Diamond Head. Makes you feel like you're in an entirely different world than Waikiki.

Both are first-class accomodations, and if the price is the same... just depends on what you want to do.

Personally, if it was my honeymoon, I'd pick the Mandarin.

Congrats on getting married, btw.

Comment

I'd go with the newly monickered Kahala Hotel myself, too. Better chances to see movie stars or a member or two of the cast of Lost. But then again, I get to see them at my swim club or at the Hawaii Kai Safeway, too!

Congrats on your soon-to-be nuptials. Love is grand.
      Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

Palolo Joe hit it right - do you want to be in the heart of the action in Waikiki, or do you want something nearby, but where you can "escape" a bit more? Do you have a car?

They are both beautiful hotels, with great service and people, so you won't regret either choice.

ADDITIONAL: It's been a few years since I've stayed in either one, so based on the knowledgeable comments following mine - I can't back up my "you won't regret either choice" so strongly now.
        Last edited by Leo Lakio; March 31, 2006, 08:46 AM. Reason: flaws in my intelligence(?!?)

Comment

We are doing our wedding at the Kahala (Mandarin part now sold), and my experience has been since the hand-off is that a lot of fumbles are being made by the hotel. It's sort of like 4th down and 35 yards to go with 2 minutes remaining in the game.

Really frustrating dealing with the clean up there, although the people left behind are really trying hard to make up for the lost ground. We've found that since the hand-off to the new owners, their prices have increased A LOT for our event. They seem to be a lot tighter (e.g. pake) with things.

You pay more and get less. A lot less. One credit tho ... they are really trying to clean up the mess that the previous owners left behind. It's going to take time tho.

(Basically, don't be surprised if you gotta pay extra for toilet paper or if you want towels, that's an extra room charge. They are really getting tight over there!!!)

Comment

Without a doubt: Halekulani.

I feel the Kahala is past its heyday, with outdated decor and smallish rooms. The service is lacking there as well. I have no idea why this is a five star hotel; it doesn't deserve to be.

The Halekulani is contemporary, romantic and gorgeous. The service is top notch and the location is prime.

Comment

We considered Halekulani and we didn't pick that since they really wanted things their way. We are planning on having firecrackers and a loud DJ and Halekulani almost passed out when we told them that. Kahala said oh, okay. No problem, but then the owners changed ... aya. New rules.

Kahala since the new owners took over .... 5 star hotel with 2 star service.

They are getting better tho. They are really trying hard to clean up their act since the transition over from Mandarin Oriental Hotel Group. It's going to take time. Hopefully, by the time our big day is!!! Nothing worse than having the guests complain about extra charge for toilet paper!!! I know they were going to charge us $140/night for another person in the room over 2!!! WTF??? $140/night plus $40/night for the rollaway bed!!! ($180/night)

Comment

I had a coworker here in Seattle who got married on the beach in front of the Mandarin about 3 years ago. I heard it was a very romantic setting, although most of the out of town guests didn't actually stay at the hotel (they stayed in condos).

I think the Halekulani is classy. I like that orchid at the bottom of their pool! I think my cousin's wedding reception was held there (I didn't attend).

Miulang
                "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Dale
                  We considered Halekulani and we didn't pick that since they really wanted things their way. We are planning on having firecrackers and a loud DJ and Halekulani almost passed out when we told them that.
                  Damn them for wanting things "their way"
                  why would they not want vacationers to enjoy your firecrakers and loud DJ on their holiday while they are here to relax in their hotel rooms and the beach!? I would sue. Imagine, just cuz they want it their way, preventing everyone else there from enjoying your loverly noise pollution while they pay... wait i will check it out...

Standard Room Rate Range: USD from 295.00 to 540.00 Nightly
                  Deluxe Room Rate Range: USD from 620.00 to 750.00 Nightly
                  Suite Room Rate Range: USD from 700.00 to 4,500.00 Nightly

yea. Hundreds of dollars per night there.
                  yer right. Life is unfair!

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang
                    I think the Halekulani is classy.
                    Exactly the word I would use to describe the place that doesn't allow cheap theatrics and obnoxious, over-the-top noise at a wedding to disturb their other guests.

Class seems to be in short supply lately.

Comment

Originally posted by kimo55
                      Damn them for wanting things "their way"
                      why would they not want vacationers to enjoy your firecrakers and loud DJ on their holiday while they are here to relax in their hotel rooms and the beach!? I would sue. Imagine, just cuz they want it their way, preventing everyone else there from enjoying your loverly noise pollution while they pay... wait i will check it out...

Standard Room Rate Range: USD from 295.00 to 540.00 Nightly
                      Deluxe Room Rate Range: USD from 620.00 to 750.00 Nightly
                      Suite Room Rate Range: USD from 700.00 to 4,500.00 Nightly

yea. Hundreds of dollars per night there.
                      yer right. Life is unfair!
                      Our first choice was Hilton Hawaiian, but because of their huge event (they didn't say, but they said noway) ... they going make lots of noise for the $4500/night paying tourists over there.

We were going to be spending lots of money, but nah ... Kahala is okay if we are willing on paying their rates.

I wonder what the big event that Hilton has that overrode our booking???

Comment

We are military ,and we stay at BELLOWS! It is very nice, and VERY PRIVATE!

See http://www.bellowsafs.com/index.html

As for the $350 a night rate? I would have said "He kani 'ano 'e loa kela. Ua 'ai nui anei 'oe ma ke kakahiaka?"

Comment

Originally posted by Honeymooner
                          I have booked a Honeymoon for almost 3 weeks in July. One of the weeks we are spending on Oahu. I have managed to secure 2 hotels here. Mandarin Oriental and Halekulani but will only stay at one. Both will be standard rooms.

The price is the same for both with the agent we are using.

Which one should we go for?

Halekulani looks like a beautiful hotel but the Mandarin has had some great reviews.

Does anyone here have any experiences with these hotels?

Many Thanks.............
                          I would tell you to book a condo instead of a hotel. Go to www.rentalo.com Thats where I booked my condo and its right in Oahu... actually its in the same building as the Island Colony Hotel. i cant believe how "cheap" they charge for even a month (although Im only in oahu for 10 days) check it out
                          http://www.liftforlife.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1567
                          http://360.yahoo.com/legal_secretary_in_montreal2001
                          If you see it and believe it, then you can achieve it and be it

Comment

Working...
                          X