Aloha...(ok, now you can grill me)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aloha...(ok, now you can grill me)

Hey everybody, whatsup? These boards are sweet, and everybody seems real nice. I found my way here doing some research for phone service on Oahu.

The reason I'm posting is to get some(more) local help. This summer my hapa girlfriend and I are moving to Oahu. We currently reside in Tulsa. My gf was born in Honolulu and lived in Kaneohe and Kauai until the age of 7(when she moved here). We have been dating for 4 years and intend on marriage. We both had a general interest in moving to Hawaii, mine from the Deftones dvd, and her's from the natural bond that all hawaiian's have with the aina. A few years ago her mother passed and they brought her back to Hawaii. Since we graduated highschool(2 years ago) we visited Oahu twice on our own. When we stayed, her family(aunties/uncles), everyone was so kind I fell in love with them all. Ever since then we think about them all the time, and we talk about them all the time(they are so hard to get a hold of). We want to be close to them and also want to be close to my gf's mom.

We have been researching everything internet/books/asking family/etc. We know about the difficulties and struggle about living in Hawaii. I was so afraid about finding work that I declared myself a Japanese major(just so I can hold at least 2 pt jobs, if so blessed) and I am about to graduate with an AA in the language. Being so young and having to start a new life, we are willing to do anything to complete this goal. All we are wanting to bring to Hawaii is our love, not our selfishness. So with that in mind...

Anybody have any good advice for this malihini?

Re: Aloha...(ok, now you can grill me)

Originally posted by burnt_bean
    Hey everybody, whatsup? These boards are sweet, and everybody seems real nice.
    Did you hear that? We're nice! They like us! They really like us!

The reason I'm posting is to get some(more) local help. This summer my hapa girlfriend and I are moving to Oahu. We currently reside in Tulsa. My gf was born in Honolulu and lived in Kaneohe and Kauai until the age of 7(when she moved here). We have been dating for 4 years and intend on marriage. We both had a general interest in moving to Hawaii, mine from the Deftones dvd, and her's from the natural bond that all hawaiian's have with the aina. A few years ago her mother passed and they brought her back to Hawaii. Since we graduated highschool(2 years ago) we visited Oahu twice on our own. When we stayed, her family(aunties/uncles), everyone was so kind I fell in love with them all. Ever since then we think about them all the time, and we talk about them all the time(they are so hard to get a hold of). We want to be close to them and also want to be close to my gf's mom.

We have been researching everything internet/books/asking family/etc. We know about the difficulties and struggle about living in Hawaii. I was so afraid about finding work that I declared myself a Japanese major(just so I can hold at least 2 pt jobs, if so blessed) and I am about to graduate with an AA in the language. Being so young and having to start a new life, we are willing to do anything to complete this goal. All we are wanting to bring to Hawaii is our love, not our selfishness. So with that in mind...

Anybody have any good advice for this malihini?
    Well, the first would be to visit before you move, but you've done that. And if they haven't already, your girlfriend's relatives can give you plenty of advice. Search this site for previous threads on "moving to hawaii", there have been many. Good luck!

Comment

I guess I'm just looking for spiritual advice... LOL.

Comment

Komo mai! You write from your heart! I wish you and your girlfriend well. May you both prosper in Hawaii nei. Work hard and never stop believing. Yes, we are a rather Nice here!

Good Luck!

Auntie Lynn
        Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
        Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Originally posted by burnt_bean
          I guess I'm just looking for spiritual advice... LOL.
          In all honesty, I don't think you need it. It seems to me you're just looking for validation of something you already know and feel in your heart. Trust your heart. Must admit I was very surprised to learn how young you are. I think you have a much older soul. My best to the 2 of you.

Comment

Working...
          X