Waikiki's Beaches Get Clean Bill of Health

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Waikiki's Beaches Get Clean Bill of Health

HONOLULU - Concerns that a massive sewage spill polluted Waikiki's world-famous beaches all but washed away after a health group said the sand "seems" to be clean.

Almost a month after the city discharged millions of gallons of raw sewage into an open-ocean canal, leading to warnings being posted on some beaches, the group said tests on sand concluded that "it seems some of the areas are cleaner than what a lot of us worried they would be."

"I'm relieved to get these results and hope they bring some peace of mind to others," said former state legislator Tulsi Gabbard Tamayo, whose new group, Healthy Hawaii Coalition, decided to get the sand analyzed.

State Health Director Chiyome Fukino said there was no point in testing the sand after the spill because studies have never been able to link human illness to bacteria found in the sand.

"All the evidence that we have today says that the beaches are as safe now as they were before the sewage," she said. "We have not had any increase in the number of illnesses and the water is testing good."

Concern still lingered in the state Legislature, where the House and Senate considered resolutions that could lead to more formal testing of the beach sand wherever high bacteria levels were found in the water.

The latest testing, conducted by Hawaii Food & Water Testing, showed mostly acceptable levels of bacteria, with the worst results near a Kailua Beach boat ramp on the other side of the island from Waikiki. Pollution in that area was mostly from runoff caused by heavy rains.

Healthy Hawaii said it had the sand tested because reports of some beachgoers got ill.

Last month, Oliver Johnson, 34, a Honolulu mortgage broker, died days after plunging into sewage-contaminated waters and contracting a flesh-eating bacterial infection. His family blamed the polluted water, but a medical examiner's report noted Johnson also had other medical problems.

Earlier this week, 65-year-old George Koenig said his doctors found a bacterial infection in his foot after he walked on Waikiki Beach.

The city decided to pump 48 million gallons of wastewater into the Ala Wai Canal after a sewer main burst March 24. Beach activity around the islands has been light in recent weeks, following record rainfall and runoff.

Workers fixed the underground pipe six days later, but by then, wastewater had spread into the ocean, prompting officials to post hundreds of signs along beaches warning of polluted water.

City and state officials tested water quality off Waikiki daily and began taking down the warning signs early this month, but the sand was not sampled before the testing by Tamayo's group.

Toni Komu, whose two young children were coated in sand while building castles at Ala Moana Beach on a sunny Friday afternoon, welcomed the news.

"I had been a little concerned about the quality of the sand when we got here this morning," said Komu, who avoided the beach for three weeks after the spill. "It's good to know that it's OK."
    http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060422/...c/waikiki_sand

Re: Waikiki's Beaches Get Clean Bill of Health

My six months pregnate daughter and family came over yesterday before going to the Beach. We got into a heated debate. I won. Ainokea if they say the Beaches and Sands are safe. I ain't taking no chances when it comes to the health and welfare of my OHANA!

Auntie Lynn
    Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
    Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

"... the sand "seems" to be clean.

"it seems some of the areas are cleaner than what a lot of us worried they would be."
      This doesn't sound at all like a definite, conclusive answer to me...

Comment

Have any HTers been to the beaches @ Waikiki and Ala Moana park lately? I've read in the news and all that the water and sand are all safe but I just wanted to get some opinions from locals.

Thanks all!

Comment

Nope. Not me. I may be pUpuLe but I not STUPID!

Auntie Alyn
          Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
          Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

We haven't been to any beach since...Oh around February

Comment

we went lanikai beach. But i made sure i was elevated from the sand just to make sure. under me was a t-shirt, a beach towel, and maddie, til she got tired.
              Last edited by kimo55; April 25, 2006, 08:06 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by kimo55
                we went lanikai beach. But i made sure i was elevated from the sand just to make sure. under me was a t-shirt, a beach towel, and maddie, til she got tired.
                ...TMI...

Comment

I wouldn't be eating the fish caught on the south shores though. What was that disease everytime the wastewater plant would kick out some stuff and the fish would get infected by it?
                  Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe
                    I wouldn't be eating the fish caught on the south shores though. What was that disease everytime the wastewater plant would kick out some stuff and the fish would get infected by it?
                    Salmonella?
                    (Or was salmonella just from eating bad salmon? )

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

"Salmonella sashimi straight from the south shore." blech no so ono

Comment

Hmm... I guess mixed reviews. I was considering going to Oahu to work for another summer but if I can't swim or (attempt to) surf, it doesn't really seem worth it.

Originally posted by kimo55
                        plus, I have no one to lie on top of to protect me from the sand

Comment

We were down Waikiki yesterday for the taping of Hawaii Stars. Good fun. carole Kai and Kimo kahoano are real cutups, and great at keeping the room entertained while we all waited between takes. Kimo was fun to talk with re; the old hawaii 5-0 days.

But i digress;
                          I asked a beach worker the usual:
                          WHAT... is it you tell the tourons, basically is it what they wanna hear? the lies the local government tell us?
                          and what do you tell locals?
                          She sez
                          Fish and honu are still dying out there. Porpoises stay away. usually we can see them just offshore or, of course, while sailing on one o da many cats.
                          But obviously by all indications, right now is still not the time to take a chance.
                          She conveyed, that she heard the bacteria level will be safe when and if... it can dry out. BUT of course, it can't dry out while floating in the ocean.
                          Anyway, better safe than sorry, and i walked Waiks with my tennies on like an FOB haole.
                          ah well...

Comment

This whole debacle is a great argument for composting toilets and bigger gardens
                            FutureNewsNetwork.com
                            Energy answers are already here.

Comment

bigger gardens have become outlawed on Oahu, supplanted by the requirement for "highest and best use" of land, requiring construction of a 40 story condo building in its stead

Comment

Working...
                              X