UofH Hilo!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UofH Hilo!!

Ill be coming out to da big island to check it out next month or so for the school and everything.

I just got accepted to the campus on Hilo and will attend there in the fall.

Where should I live, where should I not live?

I will be shipping my car over there, or get one there...im a California kid that dives and surfs

mahalo

-brando

Re: UofH Hilo!!

Originally posted by Brandon007
    Ill be coming out to da big island to check it out next month or so for the school and everything.

I will be shipping my car over there, or get one there...im a California kid that dives and surfs

mahalo

-brando
    I feel for you...

I left there to graduate from UH Manoa.

Comment

Don't listen to him. UH-Hilo rocks. No school is just right for everyone, but I loved it. I spent too many years chasing a degree at Manoa before figuring out that I'm a small-school guy. My decision to finish up in Hilo was the best thing I've ever done for myself and my two years there are the best two years of my life.

There's a very convenient apartment complex on Kapiolani Street, right across the campus, called The Collegian, and I lived there for three semesters and thought it was great. Convenient and affordable.
      But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
      GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Originally posted by scrivener
        Don't listen to him. UH-Hilo rocks. No school is just right for everyone, but I loved it. I spent too many years chasing a degree at Manoa before figuring out that I'm a small-school guy. My decision to finish up in Hilo was the best thing I've ever done for myself and my two years there are the best two years of my life.

There's a very convenient apartment complex on Kapiolani Street, right across the campus, called The Collegian, and I lived there for three semesters and thought it was great. Convenient and affordable.
        Scriv. and I may disagree on some things...and I guess this is one of them...

I guess the question to you... are you a city boy or country boy?
        That will probably be the biggest deciding factor for you..

There is not really much of a nightlife...

At least you will have your car to get off campus...

(there is also ASH housing)

Comment

mahalo

-brando
          Most of the good Diving is on the Kona Side of the Island... Hilo Bay is definately not a place to get fish from ... it has a break wall that surrounds the majority of it so there is no way for the currents to wash things away.... and besides that...the sewer treatment complex was down there for how many years just dumping sewage in to the bay...

Surfing... If your good... you'll be able to handle the break at Honoli'i about 10 miles out of campus.... (nothing real close to surf at on campus)

Then there are the breaks along the Puna Side... Pohiki, Shacks, Secrets...etc...

But cop an attitude out there and you might get a beat down as the surfers there are real territorial.

Comment

I went straight to UH Manoa out of high school. I ended up graduating from UH Manoa as well. But some of my best college experiences came during the year and a half I spent at UH Hilo.

I left UH Manoa for UH Hilo, as Scrivener did, and it was also a decision I don't regret. I probably would have stayed to finish my degree, too, if my friends at UH Manoa hadn't lured me back with the promise of a job that very nearly killed me.

If you're going to college to party, get drunk, and spend every night out on the town, Hilo's probably not for you. (Not that there isn't a fair amount of partying and drinking... or at least drinking.) If you feel claustrophobic in a small town, Hilo's probably not for you. But the students are great (in some ways, more diverse than Manoa), the faculty incredible (they're there to teach, not get tenure or get published), the community friendly (and laid back for the most part)... and the vibe, the energy, the feel of the place is indescribable.

A lot of wonderful experiences are there to be had, if you're open to them.

I admit, I went stir crazy on occasion. Typical Hilo weather is closer to Seattle than your stereotypical image of Hawaii. And it's a place where Ace Ventura will play in the theater for a year but Schindler's List lasted three days. I at least had the benefit, as you will, of having a car to get out to the Kona side or up to Waimea or down to South Point or to wander Volcanoes National Park. I can see all the things people dislike about Hilo, and understand, but on balance I love it.

We lived in the Collegian too. About as colorful as you'd expect an apartment complex filled with college kids can be. But again, we liked it. We still drive past when we visit Hilo for a few "remember those days" moments.

We. My wife and I met there, consider it our spiritual home, and while we're Honolulu suburbanites and I work in a building downtown, we constantly dream of the day we can leave "the city" and return to the Big Island.

Congratulations on your admission. I hope you find more than you knew you wanted to find in Hilo.
            Last edited by pzarquon; May 11, 2006, 07:28 PM.

Comment

another thing that has not been pointed out...

Is there is definately more options for degrees at UH Manoa then there is at UH Hilo.

That was my primary reason for leaving Hilo...and I wanted to get back to the city...

Also the job opportunity after you graduate from Hilo is not as good if you wanted to stay in Hilo...

As per say... you were to graduate from Manoa...

There is not many jobs at all in Hilo to be quite truthful.

Comment

My experiences in UH Hilo was pretty good but then again it's been around 25-30 years ago for me.

It's was often said that Hilo is the kind of place that rolled up it's sidewalks at 9 o'clock, for me however I came from a place that never had sidewalks to being with (I'm from Lihue, a smaller town than Hilo). Staying in Hilo was alright for me, had a bicycle for the first two years there, then a car the remaining two years.

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon
                  If you're going to college to party, get drunk, and spend every night out on the town, Hilo's probably not for you. (Not that there isn't a fair amount of partying and drinking... or at least drinking.) If you feel claustrophobic in a small town, Hilo's probably not for you. But the students are great (in some ways, more diverse than Manoa), the faculty incredible (they're there to teach, not get tenure or get published), the community friendly (and laid back for the most part)... and the vibe, the energy, the feel of the place is indescribable.
                  Thanks to all for the great information.

To reply to this...I am finishing up Santa Barbara City College (SBCC). If any of you know the lifestyle we have, its f-n rediculous. Always getting drunk, surfing, and doing stupid things. I have lived in the notorious Isla Vista for two years and pretty much took off 5 years of my life there partying on Del Playa. UCSB is the campus Isla Vista surrounds. This college is rated i think 4th in party schools. So im pretty much got all the knotches on the old belt for my partying time.

I grew up in a beach town for 18 years in the small city of La Jolla, CA. My dad lives in the country up in Sonoma Valley up in Northern California. I have seen big cities of the East Coast and hated it, travelled the islands of Belize and Mexico and loved it. If i could live in Southern Baja, Mexico and go to school, I would. I have lived on a boat for 3 weeks and wished i stayed!

So clausterphobia is not my main concern. I can be introverted at times and stay away from the night life when im studying. As for hobbies I need to be doing something all the time, even if Hilo is dead I guess I could drive to Kona, but ill figure that out when I get a feel for it when I come over there soon.

Originally posted by manoasurfer123

another thing that has not been pointed out...

Is there is definately more options for degrees at UH Manoa then there is at UH Hilo.

That was my primary reason for leaving Hilo...and I wanted to get back to the city...

Also the job opportunity after you graduate from Hilo is not as good if you wanted to stay in Hilo...

As per say... you were to graduate from Manoa...

There is not many jobs at all in Hilo to be quite truthful.
                  As for my selection for Hilo. I am attending Hilo for their B.A. Criminal Justice program -- I also will get my A.A. in Administration of Justice with the Emphasis in Law Enforcement from SBCC. Manoa doesnt offer this degree nor does HPU.
                  Also about your "attitude adjustment" I've surfed the north shore and had no problem there and diamond head as well. Im the person that starts the conversation in the water, not just about surfing, but random stuff in the news. So im not too worried about my skills since i have been surfing for 7 years as well. NOT TO BRAG

Overall im 21 and have lived a great life in California and want to spread my travels. One could say I like small towns and big ones if there are enough good eats and people to chill with. How far is the drive from Hilo to Kona btw?

Comment

If you go via Hamakua/Kamuela, it takes 2 hours to get to Kona
                    If you go via Saddle Road it takes 1 hour 30 minutes.
                    Check out my blog on Kona issues :
                    The Kona Blog

Comment

Don't live in the Lanakila or Wainaku areas if you not from Hilo or you just might get hurt.
                      Listen to KEITH AND THE GIRLsigpic

Stupid people come in all flavors-buzz1941
                      Flickr

Comment

Originally posted by alohabear
                        Don't live in the Lanakila or Wainaku areas if you not from Hilo or you just might get hurt.
                        um...are the people just insane or whaat?

Comment

um...are the people just insane or whaat?
                          low-income druggies
                          Listen to KEITH AND THE GIRLsigpic

Stupid people come in all flavors-buzz1941
                          Flickr

Comment

low-income druggies
                            That's a bummer

Comment

I lived in Wainaku my first semester, and....alohabear is right. In my first week back on Oahu after graduation, there was a drive-by shooting in the driveway of the house I'd rented.
                              But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
                              GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Working...
                              X