Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can anyone help with Special Ed info?

Hi,
    We are planning on moving to Oahu this Winter - Spring and I'm trying to find out about Special Education for my high school dd. I have found great activity groups that sound wonderful, a welcome thing for her but also a great chance to meet other families in the same situation. Here there aren't any fun, safe activities for teens who are mentally challenged.
    It's a little harder to find out which schools have good programs, supervision (for safety's sake - as a SpEd kid teasing etc come up before during recess, after school times...so I worry) And of course she'd be a "new" kid too. Hope I picked the right forum to post -I'm a newbie here.

chris

Re: Can anyone help with Special Ed info?

Originally posted by chris729
    Hi,
    We are planning on moving to Oahu this Winter - Spring and I'm trying to find out about Special Education for my high school dd. I have found great activity groups that sound wonderful, a welcome thing for her but also a great chance to meet other families in the same situation. Here there aren't any fun, safe activities for teens who are mentally challenged.
    It's a little harder to find out which schools have good programs, supervision (for safety's sake - as a SpEd kid teasing etc come up before during recess, after school times...so I worry) And of course she'd be a "new" kid too. Hope I picked the right forum to post -I'm a newbie here.

chris
    http://www.k12.hi.us/%7Egtstate/Index.htm

Hope this helps

Comment

Thank you for the link - I forgot Special Programs can also mean gifted/talented..my dd is at the other end of the spectrum with mental retardation. I appreciate your helpfulness though..its a great link for those programs.

chris

Comment

In that case you probably want this. And you should probably google "Felix consent decree" as well -- the Felix decision in 1994 was critical in shaping the state's special education program.

Comment

Originally posted by Glen Miyashiro
          In that case you probably want this. And you should probably google "Felix consent decree" as well -- the Felix decision in 1994 was critical in shaping the state's special education program.
          felix went out the door recently

Comment

Originally posted by manoasurfer123
            felix went out the door recently
            Yes I know. That's why I said "was".

Comment

Glen,
              Thank you for the link - there's a lot of information there that will be useful for finding out more. Appreciate your help - the school sites sometimes don't even mention Special Ed let alone give details.

chris

Comment

Try contacting Hawaii Familes As Allies. They work with families of students (at least they do on the Big Island), and advocate for the children, and know the ins-and-outs of the Dept of Education system.

Family Support
                The Center for Mental Health Services awards grants to statewide, family-run networks to provide support and information to families of children and adolescents with serious emotional, behavioral, or mental disorders. For more information, contact:

Sharon Nobriga, Co-Executive Director
                Hawaii Families As Allies
                99-209 Moanalua Road, Suite 305
                Aiea, HI 96701
                Phone: 808-487-8785
                Fax: 808-487-0514
                E-mail: susan@hfaa.net
                Internet: www.hfaa.net

Comment

Chris:
                  I'm on an elementary school board. With more frequency, especially here on East Oahu, the children with special needs are integrated as much as possible into the student body. I'm coming from a K-6 perspective, but I do know that at Kaiser HS special ed students are just part of the landscape. It's done on purpose to acclimate everyone to each other, to reflect what the "real" world is about. It shows us all how to look out for each other, and how to recognize that people who are considered at the "low end of the spectrum" have something to contribute to society.

I'm not saying high school is an easy place--heck it was tough for those of us who didn't have any problems bigger than some zits on our face--but I just want you to be a little optimistic about your relocation. And just come to Hawaii Threads when you need support. We have journalists who will jump all over the situation and make a big deal out of it, educators who can help guide you, and people going through similar situations with whom you can relate.
                  Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

SouthKona,
                    Thank you for the mentioning that group, I'll check further to see what areas they cover. I know each state varies a little bit with how their Special Ed departments work, even the name for a her particular disability can be different. It sounds like they might be helpful for figuring the in's and out's of the school system.

chris

Comment

lavagal,
                      Thank you, your reply helps to ease my worries about what it will be like for my dd. I know she needs to be used to the "real" world especially now that she's older, its just difficult as her mom because I know there are all kinds of people out there. HS can be rough enough, and since its harder for her to know how to "read" a situation, it can be difficult to avoid problems.
                      I appreciate your comments about being optimistic, its nice to know I can find support here - I will try to do the same. I do think its good for students to be exposed to different kinds of kids. Sometimes though I think its better if there is some supervision to "translate" what's going on to avoid misunderstanding. Teens especially don't always think before acting, my dd included. What is silly (and acceptable) in one context can be different in another situation, she has difficulty understanding that. I think there are a lot great social groups and activities for kids like her that also involve "regular" kids that will be really positive. We all would enjoy the chance to be involved with other families facing similar challenges. Thank you for your kind words.

chris

Comment

Working...
                      X