Filipino Community

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Filipino Community

Does anybody know of any Filipino Community in Oahu? Where do you find any Filipino Supermarket. Here in Sacramento we have Seafood City. We are planning on relocating there because my husband is being offered a job. I think i will be homesick without my fish sauce and other Filipino food.

Re: Filipino Community

Originally posted by Kilikina731
    Does anybody know of any Filipino Community in Oahu? Where do you find any Filipino Supermarket. Here in Sacramento we have Seafood City. We are planning on relocating there because my husband is being offered a job. I think i will be homesick without my fish sauce and other Filipino food.
    Find a place to live in Waipahu and you'll be all set! Quite a few Filipino families live in the Waipahu area. And there are many local restaurants that serve things like gandule rice and dinaguan.

Most supermarkets in Hawai'i (even the Safeways) would have things like patis. 99 Ranch Market would also be a good place to look.

Miulang
    "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang

Find a place to live in Waipahu and you'll be all set! Quite a few Filipino families live in the Waipahu area. And there are many local restaurants that serve things like gandule rice and dinaguan.
      I always thought gandule rice was a Puerto Rican dish.

Comment

Ho boy. You really didn't see anything outside of the tourist areas did you? Hawai'i has a very, very big Filipino community, ranging from nth-generation descendants of plantation workers to Metro Manila FOBs and everyone in between. Filipinos are the single biggest group of new immigrants coming to Hawai'i. Don't worry, you'll be able to get your patis and bagoong here.

Comment

Go to the Kam Swap Meet on Wednesday or the weekend, stay choke with Filipino vendors selling "filipino veggies and sauces".

Comment

Pacific Supermarket in Waipahu. and that 99ranch market at Mapunapuna.
            what type of filipino community are you looking for? visayan, ilocano, tagalog?

Comment

I was born in Manila and grew up there so I'm looking for Tagalog speaking people. But it really doesn't matter. Just knowing some Filipinos will help me get by. Of course, I am also looking forward to meeting people of different races. Not prejudice. Just thinking that finding some Filipino will help me feel right at home while I am adjusting to a new place. I really love being in Hawaii. It's beautiful. Just a little worried if the job being offered to my husband will afford the expensive rent. I am also going to look for a job.

Comment

Thanks for all your replies.

Comment

Once you've expanded your horizons beyond Waikiki you should have no problem feeling right at home! There's also the Filipino Community Center in Waipahu.

Comment

Originally posted by D'Alani
                    Go to the Kam Swap Meet on Wednesday or the weekend, stay choke with Filipino vendors selling "filipino veggies and sauces".
                    My mom faithfully goes there on the weekend and they do have lots of good bargains. Yummy already prepared food as well.

On N. King Street, there's a block or two right after Zippy's Mokauea St. [if you're traveling east] that have lots of stores that sell Filipino food, movies, etc. etc.

You won't have ANY problem getting your fix, don't worry.
                    Tessie, "Nuf Ced" McGreevey shouted
                    We're not here to mess around
                    Boston, you know we love you madly
                    Hear the crowd roar to your sound
                    Don't blame us if we ever doubt you
                    You know we couldn't live without you
                    Tessie, you are the only only only

Comment

Originally posted by Lei Liko
                      My mom faithfully goes there on the weekend and they do have lots of good bargains. Yummy already prepared food as well.

On N. King Street, there's a block or two right after Zippy's Mokauea St. [if you're traveling east] that have lots of stores that sell Filipino food, movies, etc. etc.

You won't have ANY problem getting your fix, don't worry.
                      Your mom faithfully goes to Kam Swap Meet every weekend? Where is that? Thanks....

Comment

I was born in Manila and grew up there so I'm looking for Tagalog speaking people. But it really doesn't matter. Just knowing some Filipinos will help me get by.
                        Don't worry about knowing some Filipinos and finding stores that have Filipino food. you will find just about anything/everything you could think of. And if not at the swap meet and stores others have already mentioned, you can find a lot of food at cockfights...

Comment

Here are some groups' websites that you might find helpful too:

Filipino Junior Chamber of Commerce
                          http://www.filipinojaycees.com/

Hawaii Filipino Chronicle
                          http://www.rrhi.com/hfci/media.htm

Filipino Community Center
                          http://www.filcom.org/

United Filipino Council of Hawaii
                          http://www.geocities.com/ufch2001/main.html

This happens to be the Centennial celebration year for Filipinos in Hawaii, so...
                          http://www.filipinosinhawaii100.org/

Comment

Your mom faithfully goes to Kam Swap Meet every weekend? Where is that? Thanks....
                            I'm so sorry I didn't see this earlier!

The Kam Swap Meet is at the old Kam Drive-In across Pearlridge Mall in Aiea.
                            Tessie, "Nuf Ced" McGreevey shouted
                            We're not here to mess around
                            Boston, you know we love you madly
                            Hear the crowd roar to your sound
                            Don't blame us if we ever doubt you
                            You know we couldn't live without you
                            Tessie, you are the only only only

Comment

Working...
                            X