Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ATl to Hilo

Aloha,
    I'm interested in moving to the big island and would like more information on jobs, housing, and life in general.
    My Background: Late 20s, single white female with large dog; accounting professional who likes bird watching, long walks with my dog, reading and watching movies repeatedly; moving from suburban Atlanta, Georgia and really need to get away; I'm interested in finding a job and settling in a place where I can have a good bit of privacy, enjoy nature, and feel safe walking my dog alone; I'm not interested in the "social scene" and don't mind a commute of up to an hour (after all, I'm from Atlanta).
    I've read some really good information on this board already and would like some personal feedback of my own. Any opinions, comments, resources, and questions are welcome.
    I'm planning on moving somewhere, if not Hawaii, by the first of next year, and I would like to plan it right.
    All of your help is much appreciated.
    -Dean

Re: ATl to Hilo

Have you ever been to Hilo or any other part of Hawaii before?

It's been a long time since I have been to Hilo but two things make it different from other ubran settings in the State.

One is rain, it gets a lot, mostly at night but for the most part one gets used to it.

The other is earthquakes. Not major ones but enough such that someone in a crowd would say "did you feel that?". Only once in my 4 years living there did I feel a quake that got me out of bed.

Comment

I haven't been, but I've had family go and do the tourist thing. I've read that the area does get more rain than most, and that actually appeals to me. Didn't know about the earthquakes though.
      Thanks, Dean

Comment

I called them earth rumbles cause it was quite common in the Puna area.

Was just Pele w/ a belly ache... letting out a burp sometimes...a belch others.

Comment

It's always best to spend as much time as you can in a location to which you're considering a move. Poke around. Check it out thoroughly. Find out where the mom and pop restaurants are and thoroughly read the local newspaper over a leisurely breakfast...as long as there are still available tables! Personally, I love the Big Island but feel your questions are moot points since you've not previously visited. And, are you aware of Hawaii's animal quarantine requirements?

In the 28 years I've lived in Hawaii there have been more than a handful of earthquakes originating on the Big Island that the residents of Oahu have felt. I'm not aware of any causing much damage even on the Big Island.

Comment

The earthquake of Nov. 1975 had some damage. There was another earthquake that had damaged a bridge around the Hilo Harbor area.

Comment

Working...
            X