Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Little Portable Propane Cylinders in Hawaii?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Little Portable Propane Cylinders in Hawaii?

Hi all. I am planning a cycling/camping vacation around your beautiful Big Island and O'ahu for July. I heard somewhere that the little green propane cylinders (1lb) for camping stoves are not available on the Islands. However, I'm having a hard time tracking down reliable information on that. I would love if anyone could let me know if this is indeed the case, or if the canisters are widely available. THX.

Re: Little Portable Propane Cylinders in Hawaii?

I don't think you can transport the cylinders between the islands via passenger airlines but you should be able to buy one on Oahu.

Comment

Do you mean cylinders like those little, green, football-sized Coleman propane tanks used for small grills and lanterns and the like? I don't think I've ever had problems finding those. I imagine stock for larger canisters (and commercial tanks) may be a bit uneven, especially given the propane shortages we've had in the news a few weeks ago, but those little guys were everywhere last time I looked. Longs Drugs, Walmart, Sears, other outdoor or camping stores... so I think you'll be fine.

Comment

And since there is a Wal-Mart in Hilo, you'll have not one problem on either island.
        But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
        GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Back in March, Hawaii had a temporary propane shortage due to a problem at Chevron's refinery.

That shouldn't have affected supplies of factory-prefilled (from the mainland) 1 lb. propane cylinders though. Unless desperate businesses horded those supplies during the shortage period.

Most Big Island home improvement centers and retailers (such as that which Scriv' mentioned) should have 1 lb. propane. Look for the bulk 3-pack or 6-pack for cheapest price.

It doesn't have to be that "green" Coleman (higher priced) brand either. Regardless of brand, 1 lb. cylinders use a standard threaded nipple that works on all portable gas lanterns, grills and torches.

Those butane stoves with the compressed butane "cartridges" work pretty good too. Also commonly found in Hawaii stores.
          Last edited by Pomai; June 20, 2006, 10:24 AM.
          sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

They're like $9.99 for a pack of four at Lowe's or $4.99 for 2 at Wal-mart iirc. We had a cheap tabletop grill that used 'em and we went through them rather quickly.

I hope you have a great time!
            -k

Comment

Working...
            X