Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wai`anae

Aloha,

I may be moving to O'ahu from New Mexico to intern for a year at a community mental health agency. I would really appreciate any comments, guidance, suggestions, etc. on housing, the community, neighboring communities, political climate, etc. I'm eager to hear any insight/information about Wai'anae Coast.

I'm familiar with the BI as I lived there L-O-N-G ago (Hilo and Kona), but I don't subscribe to the belief that, "It's all the same!".

Looking forward to all comments.

Mahalo & Peace.

Re: Wai`anae

no need for us here to whip up a custom overview of stuff that may or may not appease you when all through our chat board here, you will find many discussions covering what yer looking for.
    try look. first.

Comment

Kimo55,

I prefer being concerned and responsible for my own satisfaction or lack thereof regarding Wai'anae Coast-specific comments. So don't give it another thought.

After reading several posts, I decided to solicit insight about Wai'anae Coast. You've made it clear that you have nothing to contribute to my request and I can respect that.

Mahalo & Peace.
      Last edited by klm; June 24, 2006, 02:13 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by klm
        You've made it clear that you have nothing to contribute to my request and I can respect that.
        just sayin you can get the info you need by searching.

Comment

Do you have specific threads in mind that I could search to get information on Wai'anae Coast?

Comment

Kim...I'm slammed with family and work right now but I live in Makaha and have for 14 years. LOVE IT. Please post your questions. Possibly someone (Liberty?) can start feeding you answers before I can. But, I'm happy to help...when I have a minute.

Comment

Originally posted by klm
              Do you have specific threads in mind that I could search to get information on Wai'anae Coast?
              Kim, at the top of the main page here, click on the word Search, then type in Waianae, and you'll get over 150 results.
              Or, as TutuSue said, ask some specific questions and you'll get answers, as folks have the time to respond.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Kim, the Waianae Coast is still old Hawaii, laid back, high rise free (for the most part!), has beautiful beaches and is still economically deprived. That shows now more than ever with the number of homeless families living in tents along the beach parks...a horrendously sad situation. Rents and real estate prices, while still low for Oahu, have skyrocketed along the coast leaving displaced renters in it's wake.

Hawaii, in general, and Waianae, in particular, are what I call 'the land of instant karma'! You get back what you put out. Those who like country living, love the beach and don't need an active night life outside their door should do fine in Waianae. Type A people who like to party might have a problem living in Waianae.

Waianae Mall contains City Mill, Longs, Radio Shack, a couple of mom and pop restaurants and fast food places, a couple of low end clothing stores and a few other businesses. It's a very small shopping center. Up the road, Tamura's market is THE place to buy groceries altho' there are other markets in the area. There's a Sack 'n Save (part of the Foodland chain) in Nanakuli.

Kapolei is approx. a 20 minute drive. Better shopping and dining than Waianae. Waikele, with it's outlet stores, is about 10 minutes further.

Hope this helps.
                Last edited by tutusue; June 25, 2006, 11:09 AM. Reason: added link

Comment

Thank you for the responses on this thread and the PM's sent to me.

Would you suggest publications for me to access so that I can learn more about the Wai'anae coast? Are there any newspapers (daily, weekly or monthly) that focus primarily on O'ahu's west coast? Radio stations that broadcast local topics/issues I might be able to access via the web? I understand the drive from Honolulu can take 45 minutes to 2.5 hours. I read somewhere that it's best to wait until after 7:00 p.m. to avoid the traffic. Is this everyday? Are there other times that are best to drive?

I'm sure I'll have more questions and will post them.

Thanks again!

Comment

Tutusue might be able to answer this, because if I were in your shoes, I would consider moving to Kapolei, if my work was up the Wai'anae coast.

pax

Comment

A quick Google search turned up this web page. I've not seen it before but it looks like you should find quite a bit of information there.

Comment

Originally posted by klm
                        [...]
                        Would you suggest publications for me to access so that I can learn more about the Wai'anae coast? Are there any newspapers (daily, weekly or monthly) that focus primarily on O'ahu's west coast? [...]
                        Welcome Kim... and thanks for thinking of me, tutusue!

First off, you might find this virtual tour of the Wai'anae Coast interesting. Some students from the high school put it together a while ago and won some awards for it.

Westside Stories is the free monthly community newspaper, mailed to residents and available at key locations in Wai'anae, including the library and some grocery stores. I remember seeing some form of an online presence not too long ago, but I wasn't able to find a website after a Google search.

I read somewhere that it's best to wait until after 7:00 p.m. to avoid the traffic. Is this everyday? Are there other times that are best to drive?
                        Are you planning on working or living in Wai'anae? The traffic is usually centered in the Pearl City/Aiea area of the H1 Freeway (Wai'anae-bound lanes), on most (if not all) weekday afternoons. So if you're going to live in Wai'anae and work in Honolulu, afternoon traffic would be a problem.

Hope this helps.

Comment

Hello,

I'm taking Pua'i Mana'o's suggestion and looking into living in Kapolei. If the internship works out, I'll be volunteering all of the required hours. It will take about a year (maybe more) to complete. I'll definately need to secure a paid employment position. Tutusue, thank you for the website information. It was one of the few websites with information on Wai'anae I found a couple of weeks ago. I've been looking at it for the past couple of weeks and it is informative. Liberty, thank you for the Westside Stories resource. I'll check into it.

I like hearing from the people who live day-in-and-day-out in areas I'm interested in. There's a "pulse" in stories from residents that tends to be missing in other resources. Do you know what I mean? I really do value your coorespondence and experience.

In your opinion, what's the job and rental scene in Kapolei. Is there another area you'd recommend I check out in terms of living and working while interning in Wai'anae?

Peace.
                          Last edited by klm; June 26, 2006, 06:58 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by klm
                            [...]
                            I like hearing from the people who live day-in-and-day-out in areas I'm interested in. There's a "pulse" in stories from residents that tends to be missing in other resources. Do you know what I mean? I really do value your coorespondence and experience.[...]
                            Totally. No one better to ask than the people who live in the place that interests you.

In your opinion, what's the job and rental scene in Kapolei. Is there another area you'd recommend I check out in terms of living and working while interning in Wai'anae?
                            Kapolei is a developing city. The government has been touting it as Hawaii's upcoming "second city" (following Honolulu), but as of now, it looks like another suburbia. With the development comes an increase in job opportunities, of course, but right now, based on observation, much of it seems to be in the retail sector - just like much of Hawaii, in general.

Other neighborhoods near Kapolei include Kunia, Waipahu, Makakilo (which is up the hill from Kapolei) and the Honokai Hale/Ko Olina area (the area surrounding the Ihilani Resort). There's also Ewa, but the traffic coming into that area on Fort Weaver Road after work can get pretty nasty. Not too familiar in terms of rental prices... someone wanna take that subject up?

Kim, feel free to post any other questions you come with about Wai'anae and its surrounding areas. Tutusue and I - and any other residents here on HT - will be happy to answer them.
                            Last edited by liberty; June 26, 2006, 09:20 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by klm
                              [...]In your opinion, what's the job and rental scene in Kapolei. Is there another area you'd recommend I check out in terms of living and working while interning in Wai'anae?[...]
                              The Waianae Coast tends to have the least expensive rentals (which isn't saying much nowadays!) so Kapolei rentals will most likely cost you more. If you end up with a job closer to downtown and your internship is in Waianae then living somewhere in the middle makes more sense...maybe around the Waikele area. The closer you live to town the higher the rent.

Comment

Working...
                              X