Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Canal House (2611 Ala Wai Blvd)

Hello,

As some of you know I will be moving to the Waikiki area this coming August in order to begin my job in early September.

I just arrived back from a 10 day stay in Waikiki and during that time I saw many different apartment buildings and looked at many different rentals.

I did see one apartment that I liked (and more importantly that I can afford to rent) in the Canal House building at 2611 Ala Wai Boulevard. I was wondering if anyone on this site knows the area or the building. If so could you please share with me your thoughts? I am just out of college so clearly I’m not looking for top line luxury or anything…just a safe place to live. The building is secured with a key to enter and to move the elevator, and the parking garage is gated, there is no guard on the premises.

I drove around the area at night and it seemed sort of on the quiet side which can be both a good and bad thing I know…but I didn’t see anything that would scare me away from the building completely. I know that because it is on the edge of Waikiki it is not as convenient as some of the more centrally located apartment complexes however it did seem to have plenty of buses pass by (which is a plus since I will probably not have a car) and isn’t too far a walk from where I will be working (Kuhio Ave and Royal Hawaiian Ave).

Any advice you can share would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Re: Canal House (2611 Ala Wai Blvd)

Heavy construction in the area due to them fixing the Sewer Lines.

I don't know of any "City Bus" that uses the Ala Wai except for the Number 4...and that is only for about 2 blocks before it turns up on the McCully Bridge.

If your wanting to have guest... Parking can be next to impossible... unless there is visitor parking... which many places in waikiki do not.

Comment

Thank you for manoasurfer123 for replying.

I was aware of the sewer line construction but hadn't actually seen much of it occurring...perhaps I was just there when they weren't working on it.

As for TheBus, Canal House is on the corner of Ala Wai Blvd and Ainakea Way so I was thinking that buses would be easier to catch on Kapahulu Ave. At least that is how is looks on the map...I didn't try it in person.

As for parking you are right it is pretty much next to impossible and the apartment complex has zero visitor parking...although I will have one covered parking stall assigned to me.

Thanks Again.

Comment

I know several people who live in the Canal House and have for years. Three are single women. The other is a married couple. All have nothing bad to say about it. Two own, 2 rent.

One takes the bus to his job at the Waikiki Beachcomer Hotel. One takes the bus to her job in Moiliili. The others drive. That said...it's a really nice walk to Kuhio & RH Ave.

There is no guest parking. If you don't plan on having a car but the unit comes with a parking stall then you have a parking place for a guest...or several if they carpool!!! As Manoa mentioned, street parking is the pits. That building's parking garage is not easy to navigate, however. Been there...done that!

If it was me and the price was right I'd grab it! Personally, I like that location better than central Waikiki. But, then, I'm a heckuva lot older than you!

Comment

kapahulu is about a a 15 minute walk if you were going to catch the bus there...

I would recommend using the busses that go along Kuhio...(more frequent and more route options)

Comment

Originally posted by manoasurfer123
            kapahulu is about a a 15 minute walk if you were going to catch the bus there...

I would recommend using the busses that go along Kuhio...(more frequent and more route options)
            The only real estate that separates the Canal House from Kapahulu Ave. is Jefferson School. My friend's husband catches the bus on Kapahulu to go to the Beachcomber. He's not one for 5 min. walks, much less 15!!! I believe there's a bus stop on Kapahulu between Ala Wai and Kuhio.

Comment

Thank you tutusue for you positive words. It is nice to hear an honest opinion from someone who knows people who live in the building rather than just listening to the real estate agent/property manager and relying on my own limited instincts.

After seeing so many rentals that clearly did not fit my needs I was a little hesitant about the possibility of signing a lease so quickly. However, my ten day visit did not allow me to see quite as many rentals as I would have liked. I could have tried to continue my rental search from Boston or started off on a month-to-month lease before moving once on the island, however I think it is best for me to know where I’ll be living and to try to settle in as soon as I can before starting my new job. Not only is this a big move for me geographically but, as I’m sure you can tell, this will also be my very first apartment.

I turned in my rental application today. Keep your fingers crossed if all goes according to plan I should have a copy of the lease agreement in my hands sometime later this week.

If anyone else has any information about the location, building, resident manager, etc. please chime in.

Thanks Again.

Comment

gee the rental market is so tight here...

Hope someone reading this post didn't beat you to the gun...

Honestly

Comment

Originally posted by manoasurfer123
                  [...]Hope someone reading this post didn't beat you to the gun...

Honestly
                  Manoa brings up a good point. Hopefully you have a back-up plan, Katherine. Did you, by chance, see any rentals in Pualei Circle (between Kapiolani Park and Diamond Head)? It's probably about 3/4 of a mile from the Canal House.

Comment

I appreciate your concerns.

They already ran a credit check and reviewed my job offer letter. The lease is currently being written up and I should receive a copy of it today or tomorrow to read it over, so I don't think they are looking at any other applicants.

However, that being said I do indeed have a backup plan (or two) just in case for some unforeseen reason this doesn't all fall into place like it should.

fingers crossed

Comment

Working...
                    X