How bad is the surfing localism

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How bad is the surfing localism

Whats up guys. I plan on attending a school out in Oahu around september 1st and Im just wondering how bad the localism is down at the South Shore. ACtually, how bad each shore is. Ive been surfing for about a year and a half, I compete in the Texas Gulf Surfing Association and Ive been doing pretty good, so what im implying is that Im not a kook begginer. I mean, if i respect all the other surfers and share waves, would I be alright? Im not scared of any fights or anything, Ive had way more than my fair share and its stupid, I just dont want to, especially over endless waves. I could sound less like a girl and just charge it and act like a macho man but Id rather get some tips from an actual Hawian and keep things chill. Thanks a lot guys.

Late, Tim

Re: How bad is the localism

* how bad the localism is

we then would ask you how big is yer attitude.

* ACtually, how bad each shore is.

depends on yerself. for the most part.

* if i respect all the other surfers and share waves, would I be alright?

that's not the only guarantee you "will be alright."

*Im not scared of any fights or anything, Ive had way more than my fair share I could sound less like a girl and just charge it and act like a macho man.

hmmmm. maybe stay there.

Comment

I never have an attitude. Im always in the best mood while I surf. I really dont have an attitude and I will be less likely to have one coming out to Hawaii.

Comment

Respect is the key word, Tim. And try not to cut anyone off!!!

No one can tell you how the surfing scene will be for you as you'll create your own experience. You'll be arriving during summer surf which, for the most part, is a south shore experience. So...try Waikiki first. It's a mix of tourists and locals. If that feels ok to you, try breaks off of Diamond Head and Ala Moana which are more local.

You say you've been surfing for 1 1/2 years and are competing. The North Shore is typically a winter surf break but be careful. It's not for the faint of heart and on big surf days 1 1/2 years of experience just won't be enough. Still, there will be some fun days when you can test the waters. The NS is more territorial but not insurmountable.

Makaha Beach, another winter break, is the most territorial as I understand it. Again, test it out and see what happens. Just don't let your pride get in the way.

Again...respect...respect...respect.

Surf those beaches where you feel welcome. Stay away from those where you don't. If you find you don't feel welcome at any of 'em, well, it's time to look in the mirror.

Comment

All I got to say...

Is if you see Sunny Garcia...stay out of his way!

I don't think he's in the best of moods these days

Comment

Tim;

I am off island and can give you a few words of advice.

First of all, if you get in a fight, expect to fight 8-10 guys. So...let's work backwards from there. The "not getting into a fight" part.

First of all, know your surf etiquette. Know it cold......

Second, at first you will get dropped in on, you will get shoulder hopped. Deal. Consider that as a test. Keep your mouth shut, get back into the lineup. If you don't you will get into nice philosophically conversations with the locals on why you should not be there. You will lose every one of them....

Third, each break has it's own set of rules and hierarchy. The heavier the wave, the heavier the enforcement. Start by surfing the more touristy breaks, then gradually work your way up. It may take you years to surf certain breaks.

You will be perceived worse than a kook beginner. What ever time you did to shed that on the mainland does not count on the Islands. You are starting all over again and you got to dig yourself out of a deeper "mainland haole" hole.

I can go on and on but you get the idea. Your "show respect, get respect" attitude is a good place to start but I will be the first to tell you, there is a double standard. If you get really lucky, a local will sponsor you, you will be "his haole". You make really sure he is well fed and hydrated.

Now, the carrot, through all of the pain you go will go through there is a light at the end of the tunnel. One day, someone will actually talk to you that you thought wanted to kill you. One day, someone will give you a pull of a beer or a hit of ****. One day, a set will roll in and all the blockers will disperse and everyone will be hooting for you. After that life gets a whole lot better.

IMHO, start on the South side. Stay away from the West side. Somewhere in the middle is North and East. This is in general, remember some breaks are heavier than others.

In the long run, it is well worth it. You will make friends that will last a lifetime.

I used to localize, I used to regulate. Heed my advice.

This is what happens when you don't play by the rules.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pZpOd...ore%20beatdown

I know people that were there that day. The guy deserved it. Pay particular attention to how long it took for help to arrive and how many people could have stepped in, but did not. Again, the guy deserved it.
            You Look Like I Need A Drink

Comment

Originally posted by nachodaddy
              This is what happens when you don't play by the rules.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pZpOd...ore%20beatdown

I know people that were there that day. The guy deserved it. Pay particular attention to how long it took for help to arrive and how many people could have stepped in, but did not. Again, the guy deserved it.
              After watching that... I think the local guy was lucky to not get arrested.

Besides Assault/Property Damage/etc.

I can understand a False Crack for breaking the surfing laws of the land...
              but that was a brutal beat down that looked unprovoked from the video provided.

Like I said... I wasn't there... but that video was a bit much.
              Last edited by damontucker; July 2, 2006, 10:08 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by manoasurfer123
                After watching that... I think the local guy was lucky to not get arrested.

Besides Assault/Property Damage/etc.

I can understand a False Crack for breaking the surfing laws of the land...
                but that was a brutal beat down that looked unprovoked from the video provided.

Like I said... I wasn't there... but that video was a bit much.
                The "local guy" is pretty famous on the North Shore. Even been in a few movies. I think their group has a web site.

The "beatee" has to press charges, which he won't, cuz if he does, he would never surf on the North Shore again. Career limiting.

Unprovoked??? Being in a place that he should not have been. Ignores water patrol. Ignores and throws down with a member of Da Hui in the water. Won't leave the beach when asked by other members of Da Hui. Gets pounded again. I attribute it to poor listening skills.

That was nothing. He walked away from it. I've seen worse.
                You Look Like I Need A Drink

Comment

If you are concerned, you could surf at Waikiki for a while.

Comment

Watching that video made me feel really bad -- shame, even ... considering all the promotion of our "land of aloha," our "aloha spirit," and how most of us try to make people feel welcome in this place we KNOW is among the most special and precious on Earth.

I'm not a surfer, so I don't understand the ins-and-outs, rules, etc.

I'm not trying to defend the blond dude, because I wasn't there, I didn't hear how much of a jerk he allegedly was, etc. -- but neither were most of the potential isle-visitors who will see and spread this disgraceful video.

Auntie's "whack-whacks" are one thing, and we laugh about it -- but I don't believe she would be so merciless.

Some will say the video serves as a good warning. Yeah, but a warning of what?
                    I know a lot less than what there is to be known.

Comment

Originally posted by Vanguard
                      If you are concerned, you could surf at Waikiki for a while.
                      Or he can check out the waves at Water World in Kapolei. I heard they never run out WAVES! Guy Hagi tried it and he had a hard time the first couple of tries. Wuz funny to watch.

Guarrans you get your chance to ride a wave everytime. No worries about getting into any scraps too.

Auntie Lynn
                      Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
                      Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Originally posted by Erika Engle
                        Some will say the video serves as a good warning. Yeah, but a warning of what?

a warning that we don't want outsiders f#(kin with our surf spots, messing with us. Causing pilikia.

a warning that the proverbial HVCB prepackaged unconditional "aloha spirit" only goes so far. then we rebel.

Comment

Originally posted by kimo55
                          a warning that we don't want outsiders f#(kin with our surf spots, messing with us. Causing pilikia.

a warning that the proverbial HVCB prepackaged unconditional "aloha spirit" only goes so far. then we rebel.
                          Whattaya mean "we," honky?

Comment

"we" = the collective we. The contingency of islanders I have known here since the early sixties.
                            Last edited by kimo55; July 2, 2006, 02:58 PM.

Comment

not familiar with old Lone Ranger jokes, either, I guess ...

Comment

Working...
                              X