Tell the Big Island I'm coming....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tell the Big Island I'm coming....

Hello everyone, I've been lurking around the boards for a while and thought I would go ahead and register.
    I'm looking for some advice. My wife, baby and I have decided that we are moving to the Big Island Hawaii on 9/30/11. I know that is kind of far off but we want to make sure we have planned everything out to make sure that we are able to move in and stay. You can check out my blog which I just started that is kind of detailing what exactly led me to this decision
    http://psychoticinfarction.blogspot.com/

So I was hoping I could get some advice, any advice that will help make this an easier transition would be much appreciated. Especially when it comes to housing cost of living expenses and what true islanders do to keep them as reasonable as possible.

Thanks and I look forward to things to come.
    My 5 year journal for our move to Hawaii

Re: Tell the Big Island I'm coming....

"Tell the Big Island I'm coming...."
    We did. And got this:
    "Due to high call volumes, your call will be answered in the order in which it was received in. Your call is very important to us. Please leave your name and number and we will get back to you after we deal with the 236 other mainlanders per minute who have been dreaming of moving here for years and who tell us there is nothing anyone can do to stop them."

Hawaii full up. Move to Cali. As far west as they allow, now.
    Last edited by kimo55; July 8, 2006, 02:53 PM.

Comment

I'm glad you're not moving for another 5 years. A LOT can happen between now and then. Maybe by then the Big Island will be more like Maui (eesh). In any case, cleaning up your finances would serve you in good stead no matter where you next land. Good luck.

Miulang
      "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Psionyx, Aloha and Welcome to HawaiiThreads.com. I read your Blog. Your love for Hawai'i clearly jumps thru the screen! I love the song "To Dream The Impossible Dream." I also believe you can be and do anything in Life if you set your mind and heart to do it. I've always told my children the same.

I wish you well in your quest of making your dream come true and coming to live with your family here in five years. Like you said in your Blog...things will have to change in your lifestyle as well.

Hard work, dedication and planning will make it all happen.

Blogging is an excellent idea to see your struggles and your goal to be reached someday for everyone to see as it progresses.

Take care and Never Stop Dreaming!

Auntie Lynn
        Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
        Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Originally posted by Psionyx
          [...]My wife, baby and I have decided that we are moving to the Big Island Hawaii on 9/30/11.[...]So I was hoping I could get some advice, any advice that will help make this an easier transition would be much appreciated. Especially when it comes to housing cost of living expenses and what true islanders do to keep them as reasonable as possible.
          [...]
          That's over 5 years away. Your baby will no longer be a baby then, but a school age child...so, you will also have schools to deal with. There's no way for me to advise you as I have no foresight into cost of living and housing that far down the pike. Any advice today probably won't apply in 2011. Heck, I find with every tomorrow there's a new surprise! I don't mean to sound glib about your request; I just think it's very premature. I understand your desire, tho'!

Comment

Originally posted by kimo55
            "Tell the Big Island I'm coming...."
            We did. And got this:
            "Due to high call volumes, your call will be answered in the order in which it was received in. Your call is very important to us. Please leave your name and number and we will get back to you after we deal with the 236 other mainlanders per minute who have been dreaming of moving here for years and who tell us there is nothing anyone can do to stop them."

Hawaii full up. Move to Cali. As far west as they allow, now.
            Now THERE'S some real ALOHA.....not.
            http://tikiyakiorchestra.com
            Need a place to stay in Hilo ?
            Cue Factory - Music for your Vision

Comment

Here's the reality check on the Big Island. If you got the bucks there's Kona (west side), if you are like most middle class Americans then you might want to consider Keaau just outside of Hilo towards Volcano. Some of the fastest growing subdivisions are occuring there in Hawaii with one-acre lots going for around $40,000. The market is softening right now so I'd wait.

There was an article in the Star Bulletin saying housing prices on the Big Island are not softening however in East Hawaii (Keaau) prices have been falling despite recent news.

In your five year plan, you may want to start building about a year to year and a half before moving into your home. It takes about that long from lot clearing to turn key. I presume however by then the real estate market will soften to the point where there will be a lot of residential inventory available as many are mainland investors building summer homes or rentals. If the trend continues you'll find some real bargains in some really nice real estate around that five year point. I think your timing will be pretty close to a buyers market.

If you can afford it, you can buy now and rent until ready to move in. Expect to pay anywhere from $320,000 to $450,000 for a decent three bedroom, 2 bath single story ranch style home on one acre of land.

The quality of these homes are about the equivalent of a $600,000 to $850,000 home in Honolulu and are really nice.

Good luck and use the internet to help find some property here. One good source is Hilo Brokers at: http://hilobrokers.com/ They offer a comprehensive listing of homes and property around the island with a search engine to fine tune your search by price, number of rooms, whatever. It even has photo's of the properties as well as geographical information like nearby schools. That's how I found my home in Keaau from my easy chair in Honolulu.

Once you find the listing write down the MLS number and contact any broker you want who operates in the area (Century 21, etc) and give them the MLS listing to get more information on it and schedule a visit to view the property.

Good luck and welcome to our beautiful islands.
              Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

craigwatanabe hit it pretty much on the head...

buy now... build now...rent now...and then kick em out when you move over here... if you get money...

by 2011 that 400,000 investment now maybe worth twice that amount then...

My mom bought a house in 94 for 165,000 it's now worth 400,000!

Time flies... Land stays put!

Comment

Certainly alot to think about thank you everyone. kimo55 you are going to get an invite to my house warming party...

Anyway yeah I realize it will be a tough move which is why I put it back by 5 years. I wish I had the money to buy now and rent until we moved in, but I don't see that happening yet.

I was wondering though why does it take so long to get a house built? Is it a shortage of contractors?

Also I've considered in a couple of years just buying the land with the intent to build on it later. I couldn't really find anything on whether their are requirements as far as how soon you would have to build on it. Are there any penalties? Also for all of the prep work that a lot needs before it can be built on is there a time from from the point it gets done to when an actual house needs to be built on it?

Comment

I was wondering though why does it take so long to get a house built? Is it a shortage of contractors?

Also I've considered in a couple of years just buying the land with the intent to build on it later. I couldn't really find anything on whether their are requirements as far as how soon you would have to build on it. Are there any penalties? Also for all of the prep work that a lot needs before it can be built on is there a time from from the point it gets done to when an actual house needs to be built on it?
                    There is a shortage of workers and a fairly short supply of building materials, too, unless you buy one of those modular homes. Sometimes the permitting process drags on for quite awhile, too (although for some places on the Big Island, you're not necessarily connecting to sewers and you have to have your own water supply, so it might not take as long). On Maui, unless you're buying from a developer, it could take you years because it's hard to get permits to connect to waterlines (or unless you know somebody who knows somebody who works for the Water Dept).

And please, whatever else you do, don't buy ANY land sight unseen!

Miulang
                    "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang
                      And please, whatever else you do, don't buy ANY land sight unseen!

Miulang
                      No I'm not that desperate. But humor me, what are some of the horror stories you have heard about people buying land on Big Island without having seen it first?

We plan on taking a trip out there in a year or two. I'm not sure if we will be purchasing land then or not.

Comment

No I'm not that desperate. But humor me, what are some of the horror stories you have heard about people buying land on Big Island without having seen it first?

We plan on taking a trip out there in a year or two. I'm not sure if we will be purchasing land then or not.
                        Ebay Hawaii Land auctions....

That humors me.

http://stores.ebay.com/MyEranch-Land...waii-Land.html

Comment

So funny and a bit weird, I just saw that today on Ebay myself! How legit is something like that?
                          I'm disgusted and repulsed, and I can't look away.

Comment

Your new neighbors have half a dozen dogs and a dozen roosters. This can happen even if you've visited the property.
                            “First we fought the preliminary round for the k***s and now we’re gonna fight the main event for the n*****s."
                            http://hollywoodbitchslap.com/review...=416&printer=1

Comment

Let's see.....when you first see the lot it is uncleared. Looks just like native jungle. Beautiful. When you go to clear it, you find 1) 10 junked cars or 2) leaking 55 gallon drums of ???? 3) an unpermitted cesspool 4) an old meth lab on the back 40. I know people who had to deal with the first 3, the 4th one is not too big of stretch of the imagination.

This may surprise you but much land on the Big Island is sold unsurveyed. It is up to you, as the buyer, to confirm what you buying. Pick up a machete on the way to the property.
                              You Look Like I Need A Drink

Comment

Working...
                              X