Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What about jobs?

Aloha all,

My wife and I are planning to move to Hawaii (Oahu) in the next year or so, but we're worried about the availability of work. I've read that Hawaii has the lowest unemployment in the United States, and that's certainly encouraging - However, Neither of us have any formal training or education in anything. We're in Japan now, and my wife's Japanese and speaks "some" English. I speak Japanese fluently, and English obviously. What's the bottom, line? Are employers as desperate to fill positions as I've heard? Or is it something of a challenge to find work? I'm talking about basically any old job to make ends meet. Anything from waiting tables, to stocking shelves. Delivery driving, room cleaning etc. I see tons of jobs on the net, but the same ones seem to be lasting. I can't tell if it's because no one have filled those positions or because they need so many people that they don't yank the ad from the net! (craigslist)

I'd really appreciate any advice/information anyone has about jobs in and around Honolulu.

Thank you!
    Triggerfish

Re: What about jobs?

I'm not at home, at the moment....but, from what I can see, you will have more problems finding shelter, than employment. Bring a tent...or better yet, a camper.
    http://thissmallfrenchtown.blogspot.com/
    http://thefrenchneighbor.blogspot.com/

Comment

Well if you have no real skills, I would say it will be hard for you to find a job that will supply the income it takes to deal with the Cost of Living.

Many of my friends with Masters Degrees get fed up with having to work at Malls/Restaraunts/etc while having to live with there parents so they up an leave Hawaii for better paying jobs in the mainland as well as the ability to be independent of their parents.

If your willing to do anything... then you better be ready to do anything 120 hours a week...

I hope your coming with a very large amount saved up... otherwise you maybe one of the people that come to Hawaii with good intent, however end up homeless with no way to return to where you came from.

Comment

Hawaii has low unemployment, but I attribute that to (1.) lots of low-paying, low-end, service industry jobs that anyone can fill, (2.) a high percentage of part-time jobs (i.e. no benefits) that companies have to rely on to survive, and (3.) most people having to hold down two or three such jobs at once to barely make ends meet. I often think we've probably got the highest percentage of college graduates working for minimum wage.

If you've no credentials, no local contacts, and anything less than $10,000 in savings, I'd rethink any plan to relocate here sight unseen. Unless you buy roundtrip tickets and give the return tickets to a trusted friend who'll only send them to you to get you out.

Comment

Hmmm, I just don't know what to make of it all. I've seen any and all opinions on this matter all over the internet from news stations to forums like this.

For example: http://wusatv9.com/news/news_article.aspx?storyid=47919

According to WUSA, Hawaii is practically starving for people to work, and companies are offering higher wages to combat the cost of living, and good benefits as well. Otherwise people won't work for them....or so they say.
          I'm not talking about corporate jobs either...nah, just plain old fast food restaurants....

I don't get it at all.

Comment

That was a wire story that got some pretty good play in the national media. And it's true, "Help Wanted" signs are everywhere. Note, however, that even in the piece, the emphasis is indeed on more entry-level jobs, or at least service industry jobs. Health care and education if you're qualified; clerical if you're lucky.
            Most of the open jobs are in construction, retail, transportation, utilities, leisure, hospitality, education and health, according to the state Labor Department.
            And, of course, there was the buried "but" graf, halfway down:
            But job hunters may want to think twice before relocating to Hawaii. Travel to anywhere beyond the islands is expensive, property values and rents are sky-high, and with a bustling economy and job market come worsening traffic, pricey lunch options and few places to get away from crowds of tourists.
            Are salaries and benefits improving overall? I suppose so. I think it's safe to say that, provided you're not a psychopath, you can get a job here. Will that will be a full-time job that's sufficient to afford to live here? That's the $65,000 question.

As I mentioned above, our statistically low unemployment can be misleading. Lots of people hold down two, three jobs. And lots of people just live off the books, often on the street.

It's important to have a realistic view of things. Hawaii is paradise, but moreso for people who visit, rather than those who have to earn a living here. Have a plan, line things up in advance, and most definitely have something in your back pocket in case things don't work out.

Comment

Hawaii is like an orchard full of fruit, except that many people have no idea how to harvest the bounty.

Coming from the SF Bay Area, where competition is stiff, and ba's, ma's, and phd's are a dime a dozen, I feel like the shark in the minnow pond in Hawaii. Making a living here is WAY EASIER than in the Bay Area.

Bring a hard-core work ethic, an ON-TIME attitude, and basic literacy, and you should rise to the top like cream in the can.

I'm goin surfin.
              FutureNewsNetwork.com
              Energy answers are already here.

Comment

Originally posted by timkona
                Coming from the SF Bay Area, where competition is stiff, and ba's, ma's, and phd's are a dime a dozen, I feel like the shark in the minnow pond in Hawaii.
                And you apparently felt like a minnow in the shark pond in San Francisco, eh? Gee, I wonder why.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

And you apparently felt like a minnow in the shark pond in San Francisco, eh? Gee, I wonder why.

Not enough alphabet soup following my name.
                  FutureNewsNetwork.com
                  Energy answers are already here.

Comment

Working...
                  X