Apartments in Big Island?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Apartments in Big Island?

Hi everyone I am a new member and will be moving to the Big Island in September. I will be working in healthcare in the Waimea area. Which brings me to my question. Are there any apartments within a 35 minute radius of waimea? I have spent hours on the interent looking for rentals but have not found anything beyond the vacation rentals which are extremely expensive. Does anyone on HT have any tips for finding a relatively affordable (under 1000/month) apartmnet on the Big Island? Thanks a bunch

Re: Apartments in Big Island?

Originally posted by globetrotter99
    I will be working in healthcare in the Waimea area. Which brings me to my question. Are there any apartments within a 35 minute radius of waimea? I have spent hours on the interent looking for rentals but have not found anything
    I'm not familiar with rentals in that area, but have you asked your new employer about housing? Surely they would know, one would think.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

I would guess that $1000 a month would be very cheap for Waimea. That would be cheap for Hilo, unless you want to live in a dirty shack in the "bad" part of town. Also, keep in mind that most rentals here are houses, not apartment buildings.

Comment

The last apartments built in Kona were Kona Coffee Villas. That was over 25 years ago.

The Politics of NO has done a remarkable job of keeping densities low and prices high for the last 10 years. Times are changing, and higher densities are becoming more favorable in an effort to preserve ag/open space and prevent sprawl. But I know of nothing in the works right now that is 3 stories or taller.

In Hawaii, most of the people who complain about the growth, or higher densities, have a hidden agenda. Their real mission is to preserve Hawaii for only the wealthy. The way they do this is by stifling supply through activism, most especially the higher densities, that would lend themselves to affordability.

It is a hardcore irony to see a growth protester who rents instead of owns. Just another great example of liberal cognitive dissonance.
        FutureNewsNetwork.com
        Energy answers are already here.

Comment

Gee Tim. Go easy. How about some useful stuff like "I don't think Waimea has apartment complexes, in fact there isn't one any closer than those in Waikoloa. Have you considered home-sharing?"

There's plenty of time to sing the congnitive dissonance song.

pax

Comment

Originally posted by timkona
            Just another great example of liberal cognitive dissonance.
            Your agenda is showing.

Comment

Originally posted by beaker
              Your agenda is showing.

Well he's right and I completely agree with him
              Check out my blog on Kona issues :
              The Kona Blog

Comment

Originally posted by timkona
                The last apartments built in Kona were Kona Coffee Villas. That was over 25 years ago.
                When I visited the BI 2 years ago, I looked at a top floor unit in the Coffee Villas...I loved it. AMAZING view of the ocean, vaulted post and beam ceilings, and nice Mid Century Modern style inside (tho' built in 1980)

I was so tempted to buy...the asking was 250k for a 2bed 2 bath.
                I could totally see myself in there as my second home, working and enjoying the BI tranquility. Great cooler climate up at that altitude too...

What are units going for in there now ?
                http://tikiyakiorchestra.com
                Need a place to stay in Hilo ?
                Cue Factory - Music for your Vision

Comment

Originally posted by tikiyaki
                  What are units going for in there now ?
                  I'm sure this link (Hawaiiinformation) can help.
                  The Kona Blog

Comment

Originally posted by Konaguy
                    Well he's right and I completely agree with him
                    well yeah, and so do a lot of us who see the merits of responsible development, but how does this help the original poster who is looking for recommendations of affordable living in Waimea?

pax

Comment

Originally posted by Pua'i Mana'o
                      well yeah, and so do a lot of us who see the merits of responsible development, but how does this help the original poster who is looking for recommendations of affordable living in Waimea?
                      The Kona Blog

Comment

Originally posted by globetrotter99
                        Hi everyone I am a new member and will be moving to the Big Island in September. I will be working in healthcare in the Waimea area. Which brings me to my question. Are there any apartments within a 35 minute radius of waimea? I have spent hours on the interent looking for rentals but have not found anything beyond the vacation rentals which are extremely expensive. Does anyone on HT have any tips for finding a relatively affordable (under 1000/month) apartmnet on the Big Island? Thanks a bunch
                        Try the condos in Waikaloa. Nice view and close to Waimea.

Comment

Thanks for all your input, I appreciate the help.

Comment

www.westhawaiitoday.com has a lot of rental ads that may be helpful. Good luck. My husband found a nice, furnished condo in Waikoloa to live in until I come over with the cat and household goods and we find a place on Oahu.

Comment

Working...
                            X